Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Base Cayman 6MT, BC coilovers , AP catback, MRR wheels, Softronic tune
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After tuning my cayman, running a wider wheels/tires and an aggressive alignment/suspension setup I felt the brakes where lacking. So here is my cheap brake upgrade for anyone with a base or T that is interested. My car is a 2018 base.

I did all the work myself and sourced the parts for a little under $1500 US. I am very happy with the results, here is what I did.

1. Replaced the calipers from a wrecked 2019 GTS (ebay).
2. Replaced the cross-drilled rotors with Sebro slotted rotors (ebay & autohauz).
3. Replaced the pads with EBC yellow stuff pads (flat-6-motorsports).
4. Replaced the brake fluid with Penosin super DOT 4 fluid (local Napa auto parts store).
5. Replaced the caliper bolts and one caliper hard brake line (Local Porsche dealer).
6. Created brake pad sensor delete with heat shrink and wire connectors.
7. Removed rust from wheel hubs and treated them for rust prevention (local Napa auto parts store).

Pros - better bite, modulation and stopping power. Cons - noise and brake dust.

I just finished a 2500 mile road trip and I love the setup. It matches my power and suspension upgrades well. The rear brakes are the same size on the 2017-19 base, S and GTS. However the front calipers are larger, along with the pads and the thickness of the rotors on the S and GTS.

The front base and S/GTS are 4 pot calipers, but he size is significantly different.

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

The difference on the pad surface area between the base and S/GTS.

Wood Collar Symmetry Metal Auto part

Rotor thickness difference, the base has a 28mm and the S/GTS has a 34mm think rotor. Same diameter 330mm.

Automotive tire Rim Tread Automotive wheel system Gas

Hub rust removal and treatment. Similar process to firearm blueing.

Tire Wheel Crankset Vehicle brake Automotive tire

Brake pad senor deletes. Just connected the wire pairs and shrink wrapped the wires.

Circuit component Font Electronic component Cable Hand tool

Finished install pics.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Vehicle brake Rim

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

I like the red calipers with my guards red car!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How's pedal feel with the new setup? Not sure if the S/GTS has the same master cylinder as the base.
Better, it takes lighter inputs now which I like. The cars stops much better, more convenient inspiring. But not super grabby. Well worth what I spent and was a fun project.

Same master cylinder, based on my research the one in my car supports those brakes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you weigh your calipers and rotors va original ones? I have been considering this but wanted to know the weight difference between base caliper and S caliper as well as the wider rotors.
I meant to and forgot 😟. The weight went up a bit, mainly from the rotors from handling them. I still the base brakes, so I can weigh them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car has GT4 size wide tires and wheel combo. What is different is it has a 19" in the front and 20" in the rear because I like how it looks. The alignment is slightly more aggressive then a GT4.

Font Gas Parallel Rectangle Design

I did have to repair one caliper as the hard brake line that connects both sides of the caliper was damaged. But for $500 set of calipers I didn't mind spending the $60 from Porsche to repair it.

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

The car is just about where I want it. I exposed one thing that is been bugging me, the clutch take up. I put a 10mm rubber pad in place of the OEM 1mm one. I believe I just about have it dialed in. I may take out some the rebound out of my coilovers too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curious what your "all in" cost was for the upgrade? And how is the performance?
$1500 was a slight over estimate, I don’t remember exactly but I spent a little over $1400 including brake fluid, cleaner and rust treatment chemicals. The performance is great, the car stops with less pedal pressure and is easier to modulate. To me well worth the investment and it brought my car in better balance with my other mods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts