Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already made a few posts and 'met' some nice folks virtually... so here's my formal introduction.

I live mid-Peninsula, that's midway between S.F. and Silicon Valley (and close to Carlsen Porsche).

20+ years of Porsche ownership/driving spread across 928S4, 996, 996.2, and for last 12 years 987 Boxster S. Also had a Ferrari 328 GTS to which I owe my love of mid-engine, open top, and Porsche reliability. Also of relevance here: Mitsubishi Starion (aka Plymouth Conquest STi) and Mitsubishi GSX 2.0, to which I owe my love of small, high specific power output (hp/litre) intercooled turbo engines.

Per that last, I find it esp. impressive that the base 718 has higher specific power than the current Carrera S 3.0 TT.

On order: 2018 Boxster, MT6, GT Silver with Espresso/Cognac leather, 19" Cayman S (5-spoke) wheels. Long wait ahead (late Oct.) but you all know about that.....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Very pleased to have someone on this forum with the background you have because your feedback of the 718 will be that much more valuable. Says a lot about the 718 when YOU are vouching for it, but then again this is Porsche we're dealing with.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just gotta ask why you got rid of the 328 GTS. They are so absolutely gorgeous! Do you have any photos?
In 'Grigio' ext. color (Gunmetal Grey) with Cream leather int., it was indeed beautiful. And highly unreliable. After admiring its beauty in the rear view mirror of a flatbed tow truck for the 4th time in two years, I was quite happy (and relieved) to trade it for my first 911. My wife was afraid to ride in it.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm also in peninsula and waiting for a Cayman which is currently due in Mid Oct.
I'm glad that there are someone close by, hopefully, it won't be too long that we can have a get together with our cars.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm also in peninsula and waiting for a Cayman which is currently due in Mid Oct.
I'm back at the end of the queue after canceling my original order and placing a new (slightly modified) one with another dealer offering a significantly better discount. Of course I've already 'spent' the saved dollars on upgraded wheels.....

Now looking at mid-Nov. delivery. At least I resisted the very strong instant gratification urge to settle for a car just onto the dealer lot, my color and manual but not the interior and wheels I want.

However I did get in my first test drive of a manual Boxster (versus PDK Cayman) and was very much delighted.

Speaking of the Peninsula, are you familiar with the stretch of Skyline Drive Hwy. 35 between Woodside/LaHonda Rd. and Hwy. 9? That's where we must rally our 718s together!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am located in San Francisco and would love to join a rally with my 718 Bioxster.

Good luck and you will enjoy the new ride when it comes in.

IMG_0707.jpg

I'm back at the end of the queue after canceling my original order and placing a new (slightly modified) one with another dealer offering a significantly better discount. Of course I've already 'spent' the saved dollars on upgraded wheels.....

Now looking at mid-Nov. delivery. At least I resisted the very strong instant gratification urge to settle for a car just onto the dealer lot, my color and manual but not the interior and wheels I want.

However I did get in my first test drive of a manual Boxster (versus PDK Cayman) and was very much delighted.

Speaking of the Peninsula, are you familiar with the stretch of Skyline Drive Hwy. 35 between Woodside/LaHonda Rd. and Hwy. 9? That's where we must rally our 718s together!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm down for all 'ridgeline-to-coastline' 718 rally drives once I take delivery in Nov. Until then I'll join in with my 987 Boxster S if allowed....

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Change of plans....

Waiting for Nov. delivery was seeming more daunting even than I'd anticipated, I really didn't want to miss prime open-top driving season (Indian summer by the Bay) and some events are upcoming in the fall I'd love having the new car for.

Then in my daily scans of Calif. dealer inventories, I hit on a manual right across the Bay that spoke to me, though in a different way and a bit of a departure from the order described above. I drove it today and well, that was that. My sales rep is delivering it to me tomorrow.

It's a 2017 Boxster S, MT6, Jet Black Metallic, triple black, 19" Boxster S rims. Stripped, so the price worked for me even thought I'd previously been focused on base models.

Now we can plan our rally!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same from Berlin: Congratulations on your new car! :D

I'm happy things worked out in the end... Have fun with those 350 horses.
Can't wait to see your photos, you chose the perfect colour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats! Instant gratification is great. We have always ordered our cars exactly as we want them, but have bought the last two off the lot. Dealers just happened to have what we wanted (or close enough) and the deals were MUCH better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sweet. A classic combo. And as stealth as you can get in a Porsche Boxster...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We all Bay Area 718 owners should plan a fun run.
There is traffic control (light with one-way intervals) on Skyline Drive Hwy. 35, both above and below Woodside Rd. Hwy 84, still repairing slides from the winter rains; also on Woodside Rd. itself heading down the mountain to town. 84W LaHonda Rd. out to the coast is clear though. That was the route I was thinking we'd do. Controls not a show-stopper, just a minor annoyance.

You thinking week-end or weekday (less traffic, motorcycles, bicyclists and CHP presence)?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts