Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm coming from a 2021 MK5 Supra to a Porsche 718 Cayman S next summer. My main complaint (may be more noticeable because my Supra is white) is that within 5,000 miles I have a myriad rock scratches on the front bumper. Every drive I come back and notice new scratches.

I'm doing my best to keep it waxed and clean but I'm disappointed at how quickly the front appears to be deteriorating.

I want to protect my Porsche right away when I pick it up.

A friend suggested a clear bra on the front. Have any of you had this done? Appreciate the feedback.

Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had it done to my 2018 Boxster S when I bought it with 6K miles. Paint was pretty much immaculate when purchased. I live in New England and I daily drive with a 60 mile commute on I-95. Doing it the right way makes it pricey so a lot of factors to consider before moving forward.
1. Like you, I had previous experience with my 944 so I knew rock/sand chips were going to be an issue. Ceramic coatings while great for shine/ease of cleaning, don't protect for this issue.
2. How long are you planning on keeping the Cayman? Return on investment.
3. Installation is very important. Paint correction if car is used. Quality vs. Price. For the most part, you get what you pay for. I paid more but my edges are hidden (no template pieces). I don't have to clean PPF edges after detailing.
4. Cayman/Boxsters are prone to chips on the exposed front, side mirrors, door sills, rear quarter panels both in front of rear wheel and behind it. For this reason my installer recommended lower quarter and rear bumper to better hide seams.
5. Don't fall into the old-timers perception of PPF. Today's stuff if vastly superior, almost invisible, and self-healing. But there is truth to paying for it only to keep it in good shape for the next owner. See 2 above.
6. I took a big rock to my lower front splitter. The PPF took the hit, no paint damage, and my installer said they will replace the piece free of charge. See 3 above. Picture below.

My installer uses Xpel. I did the front including the whole hood, windshield surround, and side mirrors. The door sills, door handles, lower rear quarter, and rear bumper. Probably should have done the whole vehicle to start and probably will when they replace the front splitter piece.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Hood Netbook Automotive lighting Wood Bumper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it done to my 2018 Boxster S when I bought it with 6K miles. Paint was pretty much immaculate when purchased. I live in New England and I daily drive with a 60 mile commute on I-95. Doing it the right way makes it pricey so a lot of factors to consider before moving forward.
1. Like you, I had previous experience with my 944 so I knew rock/sand chips were going to be an issue. Ceramic coatings while great for shine/ease of cleaning, don't protect for this issue.
2. How long are you planning on keeping the Cayman? Return on investment.
3. Installation is very important. Paint correction if car is used. Quality vs. Price. For the most part, you get what you pay for. I paid more but my edges are hidden (no template pieces). I don't have to clean PPF edges after detailing.
4. Cayman/Boxsters are prone to chips on the exposed front, side mirrors, door sills, rear quarter panels both in front of rear wheel and behind it. For this reason my installer recommended lower quarter and rear bumper to better hide seams.
5. Don't fall into the old-timers perception of PPF. Today's stuff if vastly superior, almost invisible, and self-healing. But there is truth to paying for it only to keep it in good shape for the next owner. See 2 above.
6. I took a big rock to my lower front splitter. The PPF took the hit, no paint damage, and my installer said they will replace the piece free of charge. See 3 above. Picture below.

My installer uses Xpel. I did the front including the whole hood, windshield surround, and side mirrors. The door sills, door handles, lower rear quarter, and rear bumper. Probably should have done the whole vehicle to start and probably will when they replace the front splitter piece. View attachment 34877 View attachment 34878
First off, beautiful car.

I plan on driving this 3-4 years then switching to the electric Cayman if thats a viable option.

Based on your results I'm going to reach out and get some quotes. Hopefully Xpel is available across the pond from you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bought a 981 in late 2019, CPO w beautiful paint, 12k miles. Drove it for another 12k miles, got to the point where the 'road damage' diminished the overall fun of owning it...so partial respray and full PPF done in April 2021.

The way i use the car, how i like it to look and the fact that i intend to keep longterm made the investment worth it for me; others have different perspectives based upon their own preferences/situations.

Some pics, considerations and details of experience here if interested: 2016 Porsche Cayman S – Partial Respray, PPF and more

Just one perspective, no universal right or wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got my PPF rightafter I got my car it’s totally worth it IMO since it’s very expensive to get it done I only did bumper, fender, front pillar, mirror, 20 percent of the front roof. Even with PPF, I have one rock chip that almost went through the film confront bumper. I do not track the car yet. I strongly believe that you will get 50% back in resale value. Make sure to not PPF your headlamp.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster 718 MT Aventurine Green Metallic
15 Posts
Xpel is what my detailer used. I had their high impact package applied, full front, rocker panels 1/3 way up the side of the doors, rear quarter panel and part of the rear bumper. the detailer is Esoteric here in central Ohio. They have great you tube videos of their projects and tutorials. Good to watch to learn of options. And they’ve worked on some beautiful cars😀

·
Registered
82 Posts
Xpel is what my detailer used. I had their high impact package applied, full front, rocker panels 1/3 way up the side of the doors, rear quarter panel and part of the rear bumper. the detailer is Esoteric here in central Ohio. They have great you tube videos of their projects and tutorials. Good to watch to learn of options. And they’ve worked on some beautiful cars
Yours?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bought a 981 in late 2019, CPO w beautiful paint, 12k miles. Drove it for another 12k miles, got to the point where the 'road damage' diminished the overall fun of owning it...so partial respray and full PPF done in April 2021.

The way i use the car, how i like it to look and the fact that i intend to keep longterm made the investment worth it for me; others have different perspectives based upon their own preferences/situations.

Some pics, considerations and details of experience here if interested: 2016 Porsche Cayman S – Partial Respray, PPF and more

Just one perspective, no universal right or wrong.
I did the same thing on a used 991 where I had a respray and PPF done. I prefer bare paint so I can polish it and on past cars was fine with resprays of the bumper/hood. But on the 991 the entire front end including fenders was destroyed with rock chips. It made me rethink PPF as an option so when I picked up a new Boxster I did PPF on the front end, around the windshield, and the rockers. Also did film on the windshield.

The thing I'm not sold on about PPF is it costs about the same as a respray. Part of me thinks I should skip PPF and just plan on doing a respray every few years (daily driving). I'm curious as to how I feel after a couple years of having PPF and how it looks. I still don't think I'd do it on a sedan or SUV since a chipped up bumper then respray isn't as big of an issue. PPF is for sure a good option for someone not comfortable getting a respray done, which seems to be most people.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did the same thing on a used 991 where I had a respray and PPF done. I prefer bare paint so I can polish it and on past cars was fine with resprays of the bumper/hood. But on the 991 the entire front end including fenders was destroyed with rock chips. It made me rethink PPF as an option so when I picked up a new Boxster I did PPF on the front end, around the windshield, and the rockers. Also did film on the windshield.

The thing I'm not sold on about PPF is it costs about the same as a respray. Part of me thinks I should skip PPF and just plan on doing a respray every few years (daily driving). I'm curious as to how I feel after a couple years of having PPF and how it looks. I still don't think I'd do it on a sedan or SUV since a chipped up bumper then respray isn't as big of an issue. PPF is for sure a good option for someone not comfortable getting a respray done, which seems to be most people.
My thoughts when I made my decision were not only based on price. I have seen so many resprays that "stick out like sore thumbs". Faded paints and blends can be challenging. Obviously it can be done but the newer, quality PPFs seem to look better, longer, if installed and cared for properly. Resprays will chip again under my driving conditions. But the decision, either way, depends on the specific conditions, long-term plans, and desires of the owner. No absolute right or wrong.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My thoughts when I made my decision were not only based on price. I have seen so many resprays that "stick out like sore thumbs". Faded paints and blends can be challenging. Obviously it can be done but the newer, quality PPFs seem to look better, longer, if installed and cared for properly. Resprays will chip again under my driving conditions. But the decision, either way, depends on the specific conditions, long-term plans, and desires of the owner. No absolute right or wrong.
I agree with your point on resprays. If I didn't have a body shop I like I'd be less of a fan because of the risk of being unhappy with the work. I've had buddies give me flak for what I paid for my respray on the 911...sure I could have gotten it done cheaper, but it probably wouldn't have looked right.

Having never owned PPF for more than nine months I'm curious as to what I prefer after 2-3 years. If the PPF doesn't look as beat up as the paint would after three years of daily driving I'll be thrilled and perfectly happy to replace it when worn. So far after nine months it pretty much looks brand new, whereas without it I'm sure I'd have chips. So I'm becoming a fan.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We've had PPF done on almost every car we've owned since 1999.

If you're going to keep the car for 5+ years, do it. And get it done firewall forward, not just 'partial' on the front. This is especially true if you have a light colored car. Exposed edges will pick up dirt and turn black, or will pick up wax and turn bright white. Furthermore, with a partial hood or fender, if you're on the wrong side of the Demon Murphy you are guaranteed to get a rock chip 2mm on the paint-side of the PPF edge. Guaranteed :)

A good installer is key and a good installer will recommend other 'high traffic' areas that could use PPF.

I had my T done firewall forward and sill panels from front wheel up to the side intakes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can't believe how bad my windshield got in the 18k miles since i got it. My daily driver that accumulated 70k miles, much on the same commute as the Cayman, is nowhere near as bad as the Cayman glass.

Will do windshield with film for sure with when I decide to replace it.
Yeah, that 991 I picked up used was a 34k midwestern daily driver and the windshield was really bad. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me where it's not worry about big chips or cracks, but the annoyance of the windshield getting sandblasted and pitted. My dealer gave up on selling people windshield film because everyone complained about the look/optics. There was one shop in my town that did Exoshield so I went with that. I see where people would complain on a garage queen, but I got used to the slight distortion and the less than perfect installer. And the way I look at it, it's a wear item I'll replace every year or two anyway so it isn't like PPF where I want it perfect. Even if it's $500 per year (I bet I go two years though) to me it's worth it not to have a sandblasted windshield or to have somebody ripping out the windshield to replace it.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I have no protection on a mazda mx-5 rf with 15,000 miles. I have one chip that was from an object on the road not a stone. almost 3 years now. I am on the fence about bothering with this crap. It also blocks the paint from off-gassing and curing. That's an issue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've done it on 3 cars now, 1 with ceramic and will do same on the Cayman too.
As others have said, huge peace of mind... my wife's SUV, our road warrior, it's been a great decision, make no mistake there's still front end road nicks, but greatly lessened by the PPF, and that was the worst of my 3 installs. Makes washing so much easier too and looks great when done. Most reputable installers will offer to replace near end of product warranty for price of labor only, I'd ask about that.

Find a good wax/PPF safe product to apply/wipe down PPF'd areas, although this need is lessened if you CC the car on top of the film. Re windshield film, I'm likely to do that for a first time, but I hear it'll need replaced every 2 years, I'm gonna discuss with detailer.

Oh, and get a full hood done, not quarter or half, from experience... both due to visible seams but also those rocks that skip up onto the backend of the hood area, crazy how many I've had do that on my cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts