Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I spec'd my 19BS I left out the automatic climate control to save a few bucks. As it happens though, moving the temperature or fan speed by holding the toggles is a bigger pain than I'd have imagined. The motion is so slow compared to say a knob you just turn and forget like in cheap cars. I see that Suncoast sells new climate control modules, but I also know that there's more to the system than just that (temp sensors for example?).

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the climate controls, perhaps with a program update at the shop?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I share your pain. This is the one big option I regret not getting. My VW Golf has a superior climate control interface. Just three dials, can adjust with a flick of the wrist.

It's conceivable our cars already have the hardware for the dual climate control. It might be cheaper for Porsche to equip it in all but only activate it for those who pay the money. Like when I retrofitted the sport buttons in my 987. They just swapped in a new button and activated the feature in the ECU.

·
Registered
569 Posts
When I upgraded in 2010 from a literally stripped base model 2007 (including manual climate control), my "must have" list had three items: S model, sport chrono, and automatic climate control. Automatic climate control remains on my short list of options I recommend to anyone who asks for my opinion.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There is nothing on it on Porsches tequipment page so the answer is No.......

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Wine O

I agree that the manual controls are pretty bad. Both my Caymans have had them. My old ones got sticky!

I generally like manual controls, but with these, you can't feel where the settings are...you have to LOOK down to see where you're at. Porsche should fix this.

Give me the BMW "wheels" on the dash or those horizontal sliders they used for years with the air direction on top and temp on the bottom..a little fan speed thing on the side. You can feel the position without looking. After 30 minutes in the car, you "know" it and can adjust for any situation. Window defogging without A/C was especially better with manual controls.

I think auto climate does a lot of things beside moving the temp. Retro-fit might be a bit involved and pricey. Like me, we'll either learn to live with it or trade.

:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I also left the climate control option out and - even if I am "okay" with the two wee buttons I feel I'd be happier just setting a temperature and leave it be (like in my range rover which have climate control) - with minor tweaks from times to times when the temperature outside is extreme one side or another.
With the basic manual "hot/cold" buttons I find myself adjusting the temperature much more often than I'd like to. Again, no big deal, just not my preference. Not sure its possible to retrofit (seems a bit too complex?). I'd be interested to know as well if its something possible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree it's more annoying than I thought it would be as well. It is frustrating where the fan speed lever is... maybe I have short arms but it's in terrible location. It's pathetic to have to pay for the option like this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To upgrade to climate control, the whole heater/cooling module needs replacing along with a number of additional parts, temperatures sensors, control motors and of course the climate centre console module. The parts are expensive and it's a dashboard out to replace the heater/cooling module.

·
Registered
146 Posts
After reading this I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have left this option in... bit late now! But I did think "dual zone" in a two-seater was something unnecessary and I know others have also said that. I suppose if the standard aircon is less weight on the car then I can justify it for "performance reasons" :giggle:

·
Registered
932 Posts
The dual automatic CC isn't all the schnizzle either. Not sure why these sorts of things are tough for Porsche to implement without making them into an event for the user. I've never needed to look at a manufacturers manual to run the cars hvac. Porsche has the honor now. This crazy system required me to do just that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to constantly have some problems with climate control. When I bought an air conditioner, then after some time it was the climate control that failed. Honestly, I thought it was some kind of curse. I decided not to buy a new air conditioner, and will contact the service. After telling my brother about my air conditioner, he recommended this service to me https://www.socool.sg/. The guys did everything very quickly and explained what the problem was, it turns out not everything was so terrible.
i used to have the same problem as well, contacted aircon servicing and the aircon worked perfectly like before. Maybe you can give them a try?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I must be weird because I have two personal settings, hot or cold, and my tolerable range for either is pretty wide. So the stock A/C controls work fine for me. I set and forget. From spring to fall, it is set a little warmer at each end of the three seasons and cooler for the rest of the time in the middle (often referred to as "summer").

My wife, on the other hand, has a preferred summer setting of 74.5 degrees and is constantly tweaking the home thermostat. As she adjusts the temperature 500 times a day, she continues to ask me my opinion, which has been and is always, "Whatever makes you comfortable dear."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts