Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear trunk on my new 718 needs a nice bit of pressure to close. It kind of freaks me out. Per the newer instructions, they say to use the palm of your hand to push down over the lock. I have to give a firm push before it latches. Seems like the lid may dent over time if I keep that up. Is it that firm for the rest of you? I'll likely have the dealership look at it when I'm back at the dealership later this week, but would like to know how normal this is. The front latches with less pressure.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Same here. My front latches with a confirming click and very little pressure necessary. Rear I have to give a firm directed push, best with both hands. But I feel it's closing easier over time, or I'm getting used to the required technique. Doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here. My front latches with a confirming click and very little pressure necessary. Rear I have to give a firm directed push, best with both hands. But I feel it's closing easier over time, or I'm getting used to the required technique. Doesn't bother me.
Thanks. Makes me feel better. I'll move to a two hand technique to distribute pressure.

·
892 Posts
I'd say about the same pressure front & back for me for me & identical to my previous 981. I've certainly never had to apply so much pressure that I was worried I'd dent either car & never had any issue as such (to be honest I've never even thought about the possibility). I've always used a flat palm & applied pressure with the base (just below the wrist) directly over the catch. But if you're worried then do as "Trusted" does & spread the pressure out over a bigger area. If you're concerned then it wouldn't harm just to quickly ask your dealer next time you call in.

·
Registered
701 Posts
@Chilli do you own a Boxster or a Cayman? The rear trunk locking of the Cayman is completely different from the front as far as I can tell. I did have a Boxster loaner and the Boxster trunk closes much more like the frunk.

·
892 Posts
I actually own a 718 Boxster but I did consider at one time buying a Cayman for my wife as well & as such had a good look & play with it, including opening & closing both front & back. I can't say I noticed any difference between that car & my Boxster, but that was only the one example.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Interesting. I really think everything is ok with my trunk but next time I'll stop by my dealer for free coffee I'll confirm that mine behaves as one should expect.

·
892 Posts
I'd also be surprised if you have any problem. What I can say is that to close the back of my old 987 Cayman required more pressure than any 718 I've tried either Boxster or Cayman & I never damaged that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Try closing the hatch with the doors or windows open. Is the same amount of force required? Some of the difficulty can be attributed to a well sealed cabin.

Another thing to look at are the 2 rubber limiters located at the outer edges on the underside of the hatch. It's possible they are adjusted too low. You can adjust them by twisting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing to look at are the 2 rubber limiters located at the outer edges on the underside of the hatch. It's possible they are adjusted too low. You can adjust them by twisting.

Thanks! This tip definitely improved it. Cranked them all the way short and the hood closed with less pressure needed than before. Tested it twice both ways and it certainly is easier with them cranked all the way down. I still need to push it deep to get it to latch. I'll have the dealer check it out too, but it's better with this adjustment. Thanks!

·
892 Posts
Thanks! This tip definitely improved it. Cranked them all the way short and the hood closed with less pressure needed than before. Tested it twice both ways and it certainly is easier with them cranked all the way down. I still need to push it deep to get it to latch. I'll have the dealer check it out too, but it's better with this adjustment. Thanks!
Good call "Agent 86" it's clearly the same setup as on the 987 Cayman. Now you've said about it I recall that my stops required altering due to a minor tailgate rattle.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Great tip!! Thanks.
It works on the front too. Mine weren't quite even on both sides.

Greg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Geez, I wish I saw this earlier. I thought that hand hole meant...

I hope I haven't messed it up in three weeks or so of ownership.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, so I've been sort of slamming the back on the Cayman as I don't like to put skin prints on the paint - the front badge is great for gentle pressure to close the frunk though.

Must check my rubber limiters for adjustment eventhough a firm "slam" using the hand hold seems OK to me.

Ha! I am so careful to not touch the car door when closing that I try to use just the rubber trim at the bottom of the glass when I cannot seem to find a clean skin-covered elbow :eek:

Maybe I am the only one OCD about this, but there it is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I’m also as OCD about not leaving oily prints on my wrapped car, by usually closing the doors via the door handles.

Front and back? With a firm push of the palm at the centre. Great tip there - had just adjusted the imbalanced rubber stoppers on the rear trunk - thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
@Nlongfellow it seems like you corrected the problem; I had that problem with my 2RS and I brought it back to the dealership they loosened a nut under the rubber stops then the tech screwed the rubber stop in a few millimeters and that made it easy to close the rear lid (see attached pictures). Prior to the adjustment I had to slam the rear lid several times to lock it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
I always use the handle just inside the trunk lid and pull swiftly down. It does work most of the time but requires quite a bit of momentum/force to slam it shut. I believe this is the 'official' technique. I try to avoid pushing it down form the outside.

I'll have to check rubber limiters and haven't tried with the windows/door open yet so I think that will definitely improve things!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got the same "issue" as 717R with fingerprints on my rear trunk lid. I can't find a good way to close it without leaving hand marks. I've tried with a knuckle or something but that doesn't work too well. At least for the frunk I have the Porsche emblem to press on so that is not an issue. And I'm with you 717R, also closing the doors only by the handles!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got the same "issue" as 717R with fingerprints on my rear trunk lid. I can't find a good way to close it without leaving hand marks. I've tried with a knuckle or something but that doesn't work too well.
I realised after adjusting the rubber balancers at the trunk it closes quite nicely without too heavy a slam, from a gap of maybe 5” away...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts