Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's totally fine. I'm not saying APR is bad. How will you know you have a bad tank of fuel with the APR tune though?
I said poor quality fuel, by which I meant 91 octane. Your argument seems to be that the COBB tune is less aggressive than APR. I traded emails with APR, and they do offer a lower torque tune, which would make APR and COBB power outputs close.

·
Vendor
237 Posts
I see, well if you know you're putting poor quality fuel in that makes sense. If the gas station attendant puts the wrong fuel in or the quality is just poor you probably wouldn't know it unless you have an AccessPort to tell you.

I'm not arguing, if it seems like I am I apologize.

Not having any data from an APR tune I really can't say how aggressive they are. My hunch from the claimed numbers and knowing COBB, is that APR is more aggressive.

I said poor quality fuel, by which I meant 91 octane. Your argument seems to be that the COBB tune is less aggressive than APR. I traded emails with APR, and they do offer a lower torque tune, which would make APR and COBB power outputs close.
COBB AccessPort is $1495 and a Pro-Tune from us is $650. This isn't the equivalent of APR or whoever, this is a custom tune for your specific car. We do have package pricing as well.

Yes but what would be the final price on getting the Cobb to the APR level you just posted?

I think most of you don't understand

·
Registered
311 Posts
And that's what I'm trying to say

People are comparing a $1,200 flash tune from APR to the $2,000 PLUS Cobb/Protune, this isn't comparing apples to apples.

I can tell you just flashing the APR tune and just installing the Cobb tune and doing nothing else the APR is so much more aggressive. I drove in a car with a Cobb flash and I had the APR flash in my car and will say it's a big difference.

If your looking for a flash and then a pro-tune in the future or be able to go back to stock when ever you want too then Cobb is for you. Call [email protected]

If you just want a flash tune and be done (no dyno tuning in the future like me) the APR tune is best for you. Call APR

No matter which one you pick, if your under warranty Porsche will see it. You can't hide it

Good luck on your choice and enjoy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys. Let me jump in.

I was heavily hesitating about what to choose: APR or COBB. I almost went with the first as its marketing is just amazing. I read a long juicy message about dozens of sensors, heavy testing, protection routines, and remaining bla-bla stuff. The numbers on the chart was looking also great, BUT... really worth the money starting 93 gas only. Knowing that changing the tune on the fly for different gas is not possible (APR said they're thinking to make it... but... not yet. I think never) I was building a plan how to make my garage be always full of 93 gas in canisters because 91 is the only I have in 80 miles around.

Then very unexpectedly the COBB released maps v2.00. Marketing was just OK - post in their blog, some notes about "we found some tables not used yet in vendor maps..." and now S can produce something. Dyno numbers were very similar to APR. I was still under consideration. But because I had already experience with COBB on my Macan S and pro-tune. I decided immediately and went with COBB.

What I really think. COBB took (soft mention) the general approach which APR uses for their tune after the deep reverse engineering. And then built v2.00 maps for 718 S... starting S just because it had the lowest gain from the version of the previous map and probably was not selling at all (especially having APR released their shiny tune). After I've installed the COBB with v2.00 maps I noticed one obvious thing that I believe APR has as well - coolinf fan is just working harder and oil temp almost never go over 205 F while you drive actively (can't say nothing about track). That all we need - cooling for the engine in a tight bay which was not engineered for having extra thermoregulation with our 400hp tunes. That's why our tuner providers rely on hacks or untypical ways to make things work better.

Now I compare my numbers with @HooosierDaddy and see they are the same. 11.96s for 1/4. So I believe tunes are about the same. And if you have only one sort of gas all the time and doesn't have any Stage 3 tuning plans - APR and COBB are both worthy of money.

But I'm going to go further. Downpipes, 94 gas (APR doesn't have the tune for it from the shelf) then installing the third radiator from GTS, make a special drag tune with a really higher boost for short individual pulls for completion... maybe TTE580 turbo which is just $2K for the upgrade, water-methanol injection to reach solid 500+ hp. A lot of fun to coordinate and test all of this.

Do you see where I'm going in my story? If you are just a regular user and your scenarios are typical and limited by Stage 1 and maybe filters + downpipe... both are just fine. Take the one which brand/marketing is looking better and resonates to you. E.g. iPhone vs Android. But if you are going to go iteratively, custom and dynamic - no better way than COBB.

P. S. COBB is also proved tuning of the PDK. I've installed PDK maps which also gives very interesting capabilities and feeling. And if I need to play with shift points or clutch pressure - here you are. COBB is on your way ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
P. S. COBB is also proved tuning of the PDK. I've installed PDK maps which also gives very interesting capabilities and feeling. And if I need to play with shift points or clutch pressure - here you are. COBB is on your way ;)
How’s your experience been with the PDK tune. I have a Boxster 2.0 PDK with high flow air filter, sport cat downpipe & Cobb Stage 1 OTS. I’m thinking about adding the PDK tune but honestly I haven’t had much to complain about with the stock PDK programming. I don’t have SC. I daily drive my Boxster and do about 10 track days a year. Will the PDK tuning making an appreciable difference in Sport on the track? Without compromising day-to-day drivability?

Also, side note about this tuning discussion. I went with Cobb because I liked the idea of a dedicated device for managing the tune and data logging, and it was the only game in town when I bought it. But, I ended up sticking with Cobb because I don’t have (and don’t want) a Windows laptop just to manage the tune on my car. I’d be much more inclined to try an APR or Softronic tune if they offered an option for iPad & iPhone.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Also, side note about this tuning discussion. I went with Cobb because I liked the idea of a dedicated device for managing the tune and data logging, and it was the only game in town when I bought it. But, I ended up sticking with Cobb because I don’t have (and don’t want) a Windows laptop just to manage the tune on my car. I’d be much more inclined to try an APR or Softronic tune if they offered an option for iPad & iPhone.
This is something that hasn't been discussed and I'm sure weighs heavy on the decision of who they go with. I have an APR dealer about 5 miles from my house so for me it was convenient.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
We will have an option to load software / switch programs on Porsche vehicles from home later this summer. We're also spending extensive time on the PDK.
I would love to add that to my current APR tune!
-------
I think I mentioned the handheld and PDK tuning previously in this thread, but until I hear it from APR directly it was hearsay.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's great to hear! That's one of the things holding me back from APR. I'd love to switch between 91/93 on the fly.

Also wondering how much better PDK could get because in Sport Plus it's already insanely quick and ultra responsive. I got a DSG tune in my S4 but that had a more sloppy feel from the factory. Nothing like PDK. I've never felt anything lacking with the stock software but I'm hoping I'll be surprised!

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's great to hear! That's one of the things holding me back from APR. I'd love to switch between 91/93 on the fly.

Also wondering how much better PDK could get because in Sport Plus it's already insanely quick and ultra responsive. I got a DSG tune in my S4 but that had a more sloppy feel from the factory. Nothing like PDK. I've never felt anything lacking with the stock software but I'm hoping I'll be surprised!
If they could I promise - will uninstall COBB and will try APR for sure, at least until new bigger turbo will be installed.

How’s your experience been with the PDK tune. I have a Boxster 2.0 PDK with high flow air filter, sport cat downpipe & Cobb Stage 1 OTS. I’m thinking about adding the PDK tune but honestly I haven’t had much to complain about with the stock PDK programming. I don’t have SC. I daily drive my Boxster and do about 10 track days a year. Will the PDK tuning making an appreciable difference in Sport on the track? Without compromising day-to-day drivability?

PDK tune is interesting. You feel car lighter, easier... sometimes more aggressive. You always have better torque because of higher shift points. I do not have Sport+ but now the car feels definitely more sporty in the Sport mode.
The killer feature I dreamed - launch control (they call it race-start). It just works well. The car starts about 0.2s faster:

Also, when you are in manual mode kickdown won't work. It is great for track and feel of total control - no chance that torque on wheels will jump in wrong moment.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I must say that i love what the APR tune did to the pdk (auto), especially sport mode that i now can use in lower speeds without it changing down to first or second.
Also Sport+ has the same tendency until you drive it hard.
For track/spirited driving i am always in manual mode and i dont really think a pdk tune would do much there.
I dont want to risk a pdk tune and it alters the way it works today :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
@Arin:
Hi,
you made all the tests with the GTS. What can i expect for the 2.0l engine?
Have you data logged with the same equipment and sensors or have you just adapted the results to the 2.0l ?

I am from Germany with a 12/2016 2.0l 718 Boxster. I was at my local APR Tuner in April and he told me my ECU isn´t ready to get the frontdoor flash. He logged some datas and i was told to wait a week. Now after 5 Weeks i still waiting...

·
Vendor
237 Posts
COBB AccessPort can front door flash the 2.0, no problem. I'm pretty sure APR can as well unless they have some specific model restrictions, which seems unlikely.

@Arin:
Hi,
Have you data logged with the same equipment and sensors or have you just adapted the results to the 2.0l ?

I am from Germany with a 12/2016 2.0l 718 Boxster. I was at my local APR Tuner in April and he told me my ECU isn´t ready to get the frontdoor flash. He logged some datas and i was told to wait a week. Now after 5 Weeks i still waiting...

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you go about tuning the PDK the way most have typically approached transmission tuning, the gains are not significant. However, we've spend a significant time deeply learning how various aspects of the system work, from how fast the fluids transfer, to application of pressure at varying levels of torque (note: It's very important the ECU reports torque correctly, like ours!) and so on. Shift being "faster" are technically not possible, so to speak, because the gear is already selected, but the application of torque to the ground can be improved, which we've focused on greatly. We've also focused on launch control, short shifts, and so forth to make sure you stay high in the G's off the line. Then we added features like a clutch kick, which can be useful on the track, or if you just want to do some smokey donuts. More on all this later.

NOTE I'm in the process of getting my advertiser account setup with the Admin. So, I may be slow to respond to some posts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Arin:
Hi,

We've done extensive testing on the 2.0T as well. For Porsche in total, we've done the same sensor testing on the 2.0T, 2.5T S, 2.5T GTS, 3.0T, 3.0T S, 3.0T GTS, and 3.8T S. We're continuing to add to the new model Porsche lineup. Anything learned that applies to another platform gets added to our tunes for free.

Shoot me an email with your VIN and I'll look into the request: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
If you go about tuning the PDK the way most have typically approached transmission tuning, the gains are not significant. However, we've spend a significant time deeply learning how various aspects of the system work, from how fast the fluids transfer, to application of pressure at varying levels of torque (note: It's very important the ECU reports torque correctly, like ours!) and so on. Shift being "faster" are technically not possible, so to speak, because the gear is already selected, but the application of torque to the ground can be improved, which we've focused on greatly. We've also focused on launch control, short shifts, and so forth to make sure you stay high in the G's off the line. Then we added features like a clutch kick, which can be useful on the track, or if you just want to do some smokey donuts. More on all this later.

NOTE I'm in the process of getting my advertiser account setup with the Admin. So, I may be slow to respond to some posts.
Seriously excited about what's to come! Let's get this party started already! 😎

·
Registered
99 Posts

Awesome, looking forward to hearing more and seeing some comparisons vs stock!

41 - 60 of 99 Posts