Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
We will have an option to load software / switch programs on Porsche vehicles from home later this summer. We're also spending extensive time on the PDK.
Will this be able to datalog or at least show us what's going on with certain parameters like Knock/Retard, inj. pulse width, fuel pump duty cycle, AFR, etc.?

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you go about tuning the PDK the way most have typically approached transmission tuning, the gains are not significant. However, we've spend a significant time deeply learning how various aspects of the system work, from how fast the fluids transfer, to application of pressure at varying levels of torque (note: It's very important the ECU reports torque correctly, like ours!) and so on. Shift being "faster" are technically not possible, so to speak, because the gear is already selected, but the application of torque to the ground can be improved, which we've focused on greatly. We've also focused on launch control, short shifts, and so forth to make sure you stay high in the G's off the line. Then we added features like a clutch kick, which can be useful on the track, or if you just want to do some smokey donuts. More on all this later.

NOTE I'm in the process of getting my advertiser account setup with the Admin. So, I may be slow to respond to some posts.
No lift shift please, for us simple manual folks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Arin,

I am in Australia. The tune looks great, but the distributors here make the cost much higher than the USA. It would be great if the price was more comparable. With the flashing tool, will that open up the market for purchase directly from APR as Cobb do?

A technical question. I have a 718 S (2.5L). At the current time is there just one tune for that engine? So if I get the tune and add a downpipe afterwards, there is no need for a tune change? Also, will that tune disable catless fault codes so if I went to a catless race pipe for track use, would the stage 1 tune support that? I believe I would be happy with stage 1 tune and would just add the downpipe to increase low end throttle response more than to get every last hp. But prefer not to have to go through an upgrade tune process if I go that way.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry about pricing differences. I have no control over that. Tarrifs, taxes, duties, vat, conversion rates, etc all play into it I'm sure.

The Porsche 2.0T, 2.5T, 3.0T, and 3.8T all made no measurable difference using a testpipe vs the stock cat. So we offer just one file. You're free to mod how you see fit, but mostly you'll just gain more sound and hopefully less weight.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
The Porsche 2.0T, 2.5T, 3.0T, and 3.8T all made no measurable difference using a testpipe vs the stock cat. So we offer just one file. You're free to mod how you see fit, but mostly you'll just gain more sound and hopefully less weight.
This is my experience, I think it felt better and maybe spooled up a little quicker but total gains are negligible. Biggest difference feels to be midrange

·
Registered
93 Posts
I remember APR has a tune version for stock and another tune version for cars with downpipe. The tune might be the same and all it does is prevent the catless fault. Arin might be able to confirm. If you expect to change the downpipe/cat you might be better off, if possible, to install the modified downpipe version right away.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In my 718 GTS, with APR 100 oct. tune and 200 cel. cat., just by going mufflerless, the car gain 12 rwhp (15hp) and 13 ft-lb torque on top of the gains due to only the APR tune & 200 cel. cat.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I remember APR has a tune version for stock and another tune version for cars with downpipe. The tune might be the same and all it does is prevent the catless fault. Arin might be able to confirm. If you expect to change the downpipe/cat you might be better off, if possible, to install the modified downpipe version right away.
That's what I did... Not intentionally though! #winning!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Arin,

I am happy with one tune file. It sounds like it is tuned to the level I am looking for (a nice increase that is safe without pushing to the limits). Can you just confirm that this one tune file will support a test pipe without fault codes should I choose to go that way later. ie. Do I have to specifically request a file with test pipe support?

Aussie prices end up about 30% higher even after taxes and currency conversion. We get used to that over here with freight on hard parts, but it is frustrating with software based stuff that does not have freight. iPhone is about 20% more for us. On the other hand we pay way more for Porsches, but we have a luxury car tax system that sees to that.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Thanks Arin,

I am happy with one tune file. It sounds like it is tuned to the level I am looking for (a nice increase that is safe without pushing to the limits). Can you just confirm that this one tune file will support a test pipe without fault codes should I choose to go that way later. ie. Do I have to specifically request a file with test pipe support?

Aussie prices end up about 30% higher even after taxes and currency conversion. We get used to that over here with freight on hard parts, but it is frustrating with software based stuff that does not have freight. iPhone is about 20% more for us. On the other hand we pay way more for Porsches, but we have a luxury car tax system that sees to that.
That is correct, Stage 1 with Test pipe file at whatever fuel level you chose. My understanding is everything is active and working, but the fault for catalyst is defeated.

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
153 Posts
I went a different route. I tuned my GTS with a custom tune from Fabspeed. Initially I wanted the APR tune, but I was slightly agitated that I couldn't control which tune was in my car. If that is important to you I would go with COBB or with a tune from Fabspeed.

I recorded the process of how to apply the tune to my Porsche.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I went a different route. I tuned my GTS with a custom tune from Fabspeed. Initially I wanted the APR tune, but I was slightly agitated that I couldn't control which tune was in my car. If that is important to you I would go with COBB or with a tune from Fabspeed.

I recorded the process of how to apply the tune to my Porsche.

Is the Fabspeed tune really a Cobb tune?

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
153 Posts
I thought it may be a Cobb tune because the advertise Cobb tunes on their site.
They do sell the COBB tuner with out of the box COBB tunes.
@[email protected] - Yeah it's a Dimsport device. I really wish the car tuners would catch up with the diesel tuners. The EzLynk that I had in my trucks were the BOMB! Connect your tuner to the car, download the app to your phone, connect your profile to your custom tuner, download their tune(s) from the net that are associated with your VIN / profile, install tune... BAM! Off and running. These handhelds are old tech.... That includes the COBB tuners as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've spent a fair amount of time looking at tuning options over the last 6 months. Knowing what I know about tuning and what can go wrong, and the fact there is a ton of ego in the tuning world and many times the egos are not backed by solid knowledge, It would be interesting to know why you chose Fabspeed for the tune. I have seen virtually zero discussion about Fabspeed tunes, their process in assuring a quality and safe tune... (instrumentation, testing, tuning philosophy etc). Huge difference compared to APR for one. Did Fabspeed develop the tune? If so, what was data that pushed you towards this direction? Ive seen mention elsewhere they may get their tune from Dimsport?

I do find it curious that you made such a big deal about researching exhaust and the importance of going with a company (Fabspeed) that does their own development and does not just re-sell a product made by someone else, yet it appears you may have done this with a far more critical purchase when it comes to the reliability of your car... the tune.

To top it off, you bagged on Soul because you found pictures of other exhaust that looks very similar online and implied they were just reselling them with no involvement in the development?

Being you have involvement in the parts aftermarket and SEMA, you most certainly know that Companies will have products engineered and developed in the states, have it manufactured overseas, then said manufacturer will steal the design and sell it out the back door?

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
153 Posts
I've spent a fair amount of time looking at tuning options over the last 6 months. Knowing what I know about tuning and what can go wrong, and the fact there is a ton of ego in the tuning world and many times the egos are not backed by solid knowledge, It would be interesting to know why you chose Fabspeed for the tune. I have seen virtually zero discussion about Fabspeed tunes, their process in assuring a quality and safe tune... (instrumentation, testing, tuning philosophy etc). Huge difference compared to APR for one. Did Fabspeed develop the tune? If so, what was data that pushed you towards this direction? Ive seen mention elsewhere they may get their tune from Dimsport?

I do find it curious that you made such a big deal about researching exhaust and the importance of going with a company (Fabspeed) that does their own development and does not just re-sell a product made by someone else, yet it appears you may have done this with a far more critical purchase when it comes to the reliability of your car... the tune.

To top it off, you bagged on Soul because you found pictures of other exhaust that looks very similar online and implied they were just reselling them with no involvement in the development?

Being you have involvement in the parts aftermarket and SEMA, you most certainly know that Companies will have products engineered and developed in the states, have it manufactured overseas, then said manufacturer will steal the design and sell it out the back door?
Excellent and fair points. Each response in the order of your questions / comments.

The tune doesn't come from DimSport the device does, and the device is just the delivery method. FabSpeed does their own tuning in house, and their tunes are setup to work optimally with their components which is why I choose this tune. This could have been a sales pitch.
I believe why it's not discussed is because no one on here realized that they offer custom tuning. I myself stumbled upon it while figuring out which exhaust system I wanted to go with. So I called and asked about it. Fabspeed gave me the option of having their tune delivered via the DimSport device or on a COBB tuner. I choose the DimSport device. SOUL offers tuning via Softronic, and no one talks about it because they aren't aware of it.
The MyGenius device is made by Dimsport which is an Italian company. - Have a read, and you will see it's just a delivery device.
In another thread I stated that I really really really liked the APR tune, and even the guys that work there. Had a long conversation with the owner about using their tune. What made me change my mind was that I would have to pay an APR dealer one hour of shop labor to apply a tune or reapply the stock tune every time I wanted to make a change. I get why they do it this way, but I wanted the freedom to apply the tunes.

I knew the device wasn't made by them. No tuners are made here in the states that I'm aware of, and Fabspeed was 100% upfront that the handheld was made in Italy by DimSport.

I did, and I bet I will see a response of some sort. Which is a good thing.

Trust me..... There is a WHOLE entire section at SEMA of knock off copied parts. I'm very much aware of it. I even agreed with someone pointing that out to me that this could the situation where their product is being knocked off by a Chinese company.

Reactions: solomel
61 - 80 of 99 Posts