Porsche 718 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Custom tune is very similar to Stage 1 in general, but feels like some extra force added on high RPMs. Previously I felt some kind of acceleration and now feels like it should be go down, but not... car adds even more in pull. So I suppose main changes are on WOT and on 3rd/4th+ gear.
I don’t have PTV, but I don’t feel it is really needed. Probably because I run hard pulls on the strait lines.
I run car on track recently and don’t think it wants PTV any other place than dry curvy track. For wet and uneven surfaces I would expect PSM to save my life :)

Yes, I do have Soul downpipe, but... I posted in few threads that it was not dramatical change for the performance, at least before pro-tune... maybe faster spool. I think overall power increase over Stage 1 consists of (in order of weight): 1) reserve not touched by COBB, 2) +1 Octane index, 3) few hps from higher flow: filters and downpipe.
And yes, my PDK is modified as well. But with WOT pulls it is not a significant change at all.
Here’s my promised COBB custom tune stage 1 dynos:

What’s interesting is it’s 46bhp over measured stock- so exactly the same as APR!
Final measured figures were 392HP and 426 lbft torque (so on APRs dyno you‘d expect the same 422bhp).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi All, I have a 2018 718 Boxster GTS PDK. I've decided to tune the car. I have been researching both the Cobb Accessport V3 and the APR Tune. I do not plan on changing the stock sport exhaust. Based on numbers it seems like the APR tune provides more power. Does anyone have real experiences with these tunes and chime in, would appreciate it.
So to answer the OPs question, Cobb vs APR, my conclusion is they are very similar. Personally I just preferred the versatility of the Accessport so that’s what I went for

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you look at the APR tunes data above, it’s important to note that they measure stock BHP at 376. Therefore their stage 1 tune (98 RON) is 46 bhp over measured stock. I think this is a fairer comparison than raw BHP per se to allow for difference between dynos. My 718CS was measured at 346 bhp stock which is 1hp more than Porsche’s claim...
But they get 77hp max gain in the midrange. Seems the turbo is flow limited up top.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So to answer the OPs question, Cobb vs APR, my conclusion is they are very similar. Personally I just preferred the versatility of the Accessport so that’s what I went for
But you have custom tuning. So this is not OTS maps of each compared. So it seems pro tune Cobb can get to the same level as OTS APR. But the cost would be US$1000 more??

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
232 Posts
Me too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
But you have custom tuning. So this is not OTS maps of each compared. So it seems pro tune Cobb can get to the same level as OTS APR. But the cost would be US$1000 more??
True, but you keep the box when you sell the car and can just download new software. Or even sell the box and get most of your money back. So I think it balances out

·
Registered
369 Posts
True, but you keep the box when you sell the car and can just download new software. Or even sell the box and get most of your money back. So I think it balances out
My calculations are that you pay $1500 for Cobb than around $700? for pro tune. So $2200 all up. That is around $1000 more than APR ($1200 on 2.5L, $1000 on 2.0L) to get similar results. When you sell the Cobb, do you think you are going to get $1000 back for it? I normally count on about 1/2 retail for selling mods. And I assume the pro tune is now worthless since it was customised to the original car and not to the car being sold to. So you get $750? back (and you are behind). Up against that is the possibility of extra value added to the APR car due to it having a tune? Depends on the buyer I guess.

I of course realise that the ability to add/remove the tune is a great benefit that APR does not have. It is something I would like.

Now the above calculation would shift in a big way for me if Cobb OTS maps matched APR. If APR can do it, why not Cobb? That would shift my preference. v200 maps are over 6 months old and have not even been released on base/GTS, so it seems Cobb are not progressing this platform in terms of OTS maps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cobb just released v1.400 maps for 718 GTS, on 24/8/20, so still work proceeding

·
Registered
369 Posts
Can't find any details on the new GTS maps, but I assume it is not as advanced as the previously released V2.00 for the S since it is a lower version number?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Hi All, I have a 2018 718 Boxster GTS PDK. I've decided to tune the car. I have been researching both the Cobb Accessport V3 and the APR Tune. I do not plan on changing the stock sport exhaust. Based on numbers it seems like the APR tune provides more power. Does anyone have real experiences with these tunes and chime in, would appreciate it.
FWIW: I like APR better then Cobb. I bought Softronic, installed myself and love it. No other engine mods on a CGTS 2.5L

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can't find any details on the new GTS maps, but I assume it is not as advanced as the previously released V2.00 for the S since it is a lower version number?
They aren’t on the site that I can see but they show up using the Accessport software when you search for new maps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Also had email chats with Cobb about future updates for The 718 series, was told they aren’t finished developing yet so he would expect more map updates In the future...

Reactions: vosadrian

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here’s my promised COBB custom tune stage 1 dynos:

View attachment 28076

What’s interesting is it’s 46bhp over measured stock- so exactly the same as APR!
Final measured figures were 392HP and 426 lbft torque (so on APRs dyno you‘d expect the same 422bhp).
Nice. Here is what I've got:

MOD2 - is Stage 1 OTS maps.
MOD1 - custom tune.

My Pro-tune was done with keeping minimal possible boost. It doesn't exceed 1.25 bar based on logs and additional power is based primarily on ability of our RON 100 (94/95 Octane) gas. I chatted with few people and they say we can go higher in mid range, but it is not a priority for me. Also I did dyno in very hot weather, almost 95 F.

BTW, my best result for 1/4 mile and acceleration in general was improved significantly:

As you can see 0..60mph is about 3.65s (0..100kmh = 3.82s)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are the OTS Cobb maps in teh above dyno V2.00? Only ~10hp more than stock at peak and 20-30hp in mid range? That is well under half the improvements claimed by APR.

Custom tune looks much better, but what is your reason for backing off the mid range? That is where a turbo can really sing compared to the older NA engines. For drag racing/motorpsort it may not make a huger difference as you are never below 5000RPM.But on the street it would really transform the car. Can a pro tune give different mapping based on the SC mode selector... so one map with big torque and the other with constant torque?

Oh, and I see you have a performance box of some description. I don't really need to use one often, so don't want to invest heavily in it, but if I just want to do some before after 100-200 times, what is the cheapest way to get some reliable results?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Something I have wondered: I realize that there seem to be a bit different maps for 91 v 93 octane (US), but is this using gas with ethanol? (Octane rating is octane rating no matter the composition). Somewhere I thought I read the tunes are written with ethanol. I live in an area where 93 octane has become difficult to find despite an abundance of boating (and use of higher octane and ethanol free gas-which I normally use).

121 - 140 of 180 Posts