Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 2.5 CGTS from new in August 2020 and now approaching 2900 miles. Lockdown didn’t help the lack of miles and I’ve been working from home since.

However - in the time I’ve had it, I’ve never pressed the sport response button. Never felt the need to - saving it….what am I missing?

What have you never done in your 718?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't have the Sport Choron package on my base Cayman, so I only have the [Sport] button and not the Sport+ mode.

Between the regular and Sport mode, I actually prefer the power delivery curve of the regular mode. The Sport mode 's power delivery seems a bit more jumpy and non-linear, as it seems to fatten up the power delivery earlier / with less throttle input. But the Sport mode also seems to have a sharper response / less input delay.

At a practical level, Sport and Sport+ model causes the ECU to maintain a lower target oil temperature compared to regular mode. In regular mode, I think the target oil temp is around 108 - 109°C, but in Sport / Sport+ mode, it is set for the high 90's. So if more engine cooling is what you are looking for, you'd want to use that Sport response button.

For me, I have hardly used any of the features available from the SPP (Sound Package Plus). There seems to be a lot of stuff in there, but I am just too busy having fun driving the car to fiddle with SPP LOL~

·
Registered
479 Posts
Had my 2.5 CGTS from new in August 2020 and now approaching 2900 miles. Lockdown didn’t help the lack of miles and I’ve been working from home since.

However - in the time I’ve had it, I’ve never pressed the sport response button. Never felt the need to - saving it….what am I missing?

What! You’re kidding me 🥴

you’ve got to give it a go, with your foot down, then tell us what you think - that’s what’s missing 😂

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S
201 Posts

Is it because it’s harder to reach because your steering wheel is on the wrong side? :p😈

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
314 Posts
Between the regular and Sport mode, I actually prefer the power delivery curve of the regular mode. The Sport mode 's power delivery seems a bit more jumpy and non-linear, as it seems to fatten up the power delivery earlier / with less throttle input. But the Sport mode also seems to have a sharper response / less input delay.
I agree, I also prefer the throttle response map of Normal over that of Sport. But I like the PDK shift map of Sport much better than that of Normal. Since I don't have SportChrono I don't have an Individual mode to pick and choose.

So I generally leave it in Normal and shift manually with the paddles, which makes me smile most every time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have pressed Sport Response only once, and only just recently tried shifting to neutral via pulling both paddles (I was worried about breaking something by possibly going back into gear incorrectly lol). I haven't used cruise control yet, and just tried manual mode the day before yesterday and shifted both with the paddles and by moving the gearshift forward and back.

I have not broken traction and done a burnout yet and I seriously doubt I ever will. I can probably count the times I've done that in my entire life (53 now with a few sporty cars under my belt) on one hand with a few fingers left over, I just have a really hard time abusing tires (expensive or not) like that. It must be my extremely frugal fathers continuing influence.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I certainly use the sport response quite often. However, I've never used the launch control though, in +2 years of ownership. I tried it once but I didn't do the procedure properly and it didn't even engage. I have not cared to try again ever since. Don't feel the need for that, and it feels like putting quite a lot of unnecessary stress to all the car components. Didn't buy the car for straight line performance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Be prepared for the car to drop a few gears and to jump up a few 1000rpm. Personally, I would not do it (again) in traffic, as you look/sound like a real plonker with the engine revving so high.

I have seen it used on Youtube on a race track with good effect, generally already at high speed/rpm, when you need that little extra boost coming out of a corner. Perhaps also on a road overtaking at 120km/h. But for a novice driver like me, it is fast enough in S or S+.

For the 718 service info (applies to 4cyl models only) -
When the SPORT Response button is pressed, the engine and transmission are prepared
for maximum responsiveness. In the part-load range, the wastegate for the turbocharger
is closed to allow the boost pressure to build up more quickly. The engine responds much
more directly to accelerator pedal commands and reaches maximum power more quickly.
At the same time, the PDK switches to a special shift map.
In part-load range, the PDK immediately switches back to an engine speed range of
between 4,500 to 6,000 rpm. At this point, the shift map is moved upwards again
so that the PDK only switches to the next-higher gear at a later time, thereby retaining
the extremely direct responsiveness of the high engine speed range for a few hundred
revolutions longer.
A countdown timer on the display in the instrument cluster informs the driver how much
longer the SPORT Response function will remain active before the vehicle reverts back
to the previously selected mode after 20 seconds have elapsed. The SPORT Response
function can be activated as often as required. Pressing the SPORT Response button
again while the function is active, deactivates the function.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The Sport button makes the PDK hold lower gears into higher rpm. Otherwise it shifts too early, or at least earlier than I'd like.

What buttons have I never tried? Hmm. Never used the manual no-Auto Start/Stop button, but of course that gets engaged as part of the Sport button. Never used the garage door opener buttons or the passenger seat belt off button (or whatever it does). Never used the ejector seat button or the rocket launchers. I did use the machine guns once when some idiot Tesla driver wanted to play games.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
After my visit to PEC Silverstone, the instructor said there wasn’t really a need for launch control. He said just put the brake in hold with a double push on the foot brake then when you’re ready to go mash the loud pedal then just hang on!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
There are several videos on YT showing Porsches (982 and 992) without Sport Chrono being launched by reviewers.

I asked a PDE instructor and he said launch control 'probably' works on any modern Porsche. I have not tried it other than in S+ - awesome by the way, everyone should try it at least once IMO.

I asked why rev to 6000rpm to launch when the max toque was available at much lower rpm and he answered the maximum acceleration was a combination of max power (hence 6000rpm) and torque - or something like that...

Surely pressing the accelerator flat (from HOLD) will take some time for the rpm to increase, resulting in slower acceleration.

But I am making assumptions.

I have pressed every button I can find... except a long press on PSM.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman 2.0
829 Posts
So, I've wondered this... for those of us with only sport mode option (manual transmission here too), is there an advantage to the cooling feature that comes with the functionality? I do not press Sport until I've reached 205 F under normal and did not use sport for the majority of my break-in period... and I actually enjoyed the normal driving mode then too.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Is Jeannie C. Riley a Brit? She sang “How can anything so Right be so wrong” :p
Only on British roads, left is right and right is wrong. But who am I to question it? They invented the language as well as the sports car.

Reactions: Treemagnet
1 - 20 of 32 Posts