Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
So, I've wondered this... for those of us with only sport mode option (manual transmission here too), is there an advantage to the cooling feature that comes with the functionality? I do not press Sport until I've reached 205 F under normal and did not use sport for the majority of my break-in period... and I actually enjoyed the normal driving mode then too.
I'm wondering the same thing. On the GT4/Spyder, the water temp goes straight to 105C as I'm negotiating the town, and then when I get away from town and start to drive more for real it will come back down to ~90C. My understanding is that when it's not under much load, they go to the higher temp for emissions reasons. And I don't think there is a way to change that behavior (since I don't have a "sport" mode).

But I wonder what the tradeoffs are, besides emissions?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. On the GT4/Spyder, the water temp goes straight to 105C as I'm negotiating the town, and then when I get away from town and start to drive more for real it will come back down to ~90C....
I don't know about the Spyder, but the general consensus is that the effective thermostat temperature is lower in Sport mode simply because you are expected to be driving harder.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't know about the Spyder, but the general consensus is that the effective thermostat temperature is lower in Sport mode simply because you are expected to be driving harder.
Mine is around 90C regardless of mode or type of driving. 90-105C change is significant. I can't think of a car I have owned in the last 15 years where the engine temp varied significantly. I thought that is the point of the cooling system, to maintain the optimum operating temp?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine is around 90C regardless of mode or type of driving. 90-105C change is significant. I can't think of a car I have owned in the last 15 years where the engine temp varied significantly. I thought that is the point of the cooling system, to maintain the optimum operating temp?
Optimum is an intriguing concept.

Optimised for what; Economy, Emissions, Performance, Reliability?

It appears Porsche believe there are different answers.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
595 Posts
Sport Response from a standstill (in a 4.0) is interesting too, it is a bit like launch control without launching.

Cylinder deactivation is awful, drones like crazy

·
Registered
2022 Cayman 2.0
829 Posts
So I made a point to drive around in both sport and non-sport, both time with PSE on FWIW, and I too think I like the non-sport experience better… which feels counter to the purpose of the car (i.e. maximizing its potential), mine’s the 2.0 and MT, so while others with a PDK mentioned the more linear feel in non-sport, I think I too felt that driving around without sport engaged.

My only “concern” is the temp gets to approx 220-225 F vs 198 F, if the higher temp is ok, then maybe I’ll lean more towards non-sport. I assume I’ll want to cool the car down a little more before turning it off?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
So I made a point to drive around in both sport and non-sport, both time with PSE on FWIW, and I too think I like the non-sport experience better… which feels counter to the purpose of the car (i.e. maximizing its potential), mine’s the 2.0 and MT, so while others with a PDK mentioned the more linear feel in non-sport, I think I too felt that driving around without sport engaged.

My only “concern” is the temp gets to approx 220-225 F vs 198 F, if the higher temp is ok, then maybe I’ll lean more towards non-sport. I assume I’ll want to cool the car down a little more before turning it off?
Sport changes the throttle respons like a throttle boost, i dont like it myself.
And you dont have to worry about the temps.
The car will have the fans on after driving if it is on the hotter side.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sport Response from a standstill (in a 4.0) is interesting too, it is a bit like launch control without launching.

Cylinder deactivation is awful, drones like crazy
i've used Sport "Response a few times but just to over pass a vehicle. i never thought about using it at a standstill. mine is a 2.5 so maybe different?

·
Registered
2020 Boxster 718 S, Chalk, "Bella Beast"
183 Posts
I've pressed the Sport button a couple times; it's too much IMO. Too much reving, un-necessary power level. Even Sport+ is more than 'more than enough', but I'll go there just for grins.

I also initiate Sport+ about 5 minutes from home to cool down the engine/turbo a bit--that mode reduces the coolant temperature from typically mid-220's*F to ~200*F by the time I get in the garage. Those last 5 minutes I am gentle on the throttle to help that cooldown.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Well, I must say I've never seen so many people say they want less power in their Porsche!

Reactions: OttawaSteve

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
595 Posts
i've used Sport "Response a few times but just to over pass a vehicle. i never thought about using it at a standstill. mine is a 2.5 so maybe different?
Give it a try! Sport Response per the manual has different PDK and throttle maps than any of the other modes. True or marketing blah blah, who knows. It was fun though

21 - 32 of 32 Posts