Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a $300 oil change, something I've always done myself for $35 in about 20 minutes. I realize some extra steps have to be taken to gain access but is it a way bigger deal than other cars or is this just Porsche tax? How can the service notice be reset if you do it yourself?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a $300 oil change, something I've always done myself for $35 in about 20 minutes. I realize some extra steps have to be taken to gain access but is it a way bigger deal than other cars or is this just Porsche tax? How can the service notice be reset if you do it yourself?
Up until 1986, I used to do most of my own maintenance and repairs (to a 68 Camaro, a 73 LeMans, a 68 VW Squareback and a 1982 Civic). I rushed and bought a shop manual, every time I got a new (used) car, including my new Civic and new Toyota MR2 in 86.

I realized then that I couldn't find, let alone reach the oil filter (I had no lift, or the money to get one). I took a look at the mid-engine location, and decided that I am getting paid just enough to hire someone else to do the job.:cool:

My last job on the MR2 was a brake job (just changing pads all around). After this, I hung up my socket set.

Now, sometimes I have a hard time wrenching my bicycle!...:p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now, sometimes I have a hard time wrenching my bicycle!...:p
Ha! Officially my profession since 1994 has been and still is "bicycle mechanic". I do a lot of other jobs in the bike industry as well as manage properties but I do enough wrenching that I keep "bike mechanic" as my title.

Unlike my Subarus where you reach under the bumper my Mazda 3 has to be lifted for an oil change and I prefer to pay Jiffy Lube $50 than go through the effort of putting it on jack stands, but for $300+ on a car that I care much more about I think I'll buy 4 jack stands and be doing my own 718 oil changes.

So, the service notice. I guess before buying I'll make my dealer agree to reset it whenever I ask.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did most scheduled service work on our vehicles into the late 90's. Continued with oil/filter changes until mid-2000's, then the career and extracurriculars got in the way. Always thought, with more time, I'd eventually get back to doing some regular maintenance tasks.

Nope! Retired 3.5 years ago and I seem to have less "spare" time than ever...too many MTB trails to ride, golf balls to hide (lose), new places to travel, and old friends to visit.

Every now and then I miss the "zen" and satisfaction in knowing the work was done correctly, but not the scraped knuckles, burned fingers, and dirty nails.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ha! Officially my profession since 1994 has been and still is "bicycle mechanic"...

...but for $300+ on a car that I care much more about I think I'll buy 4 jack stands and be doing my own 718 oil changes.
Maybe you've checked this out already, but before you start buying jack stands you might want to see what is involved in changing the oil. Don't you have to drop a protection plate, unhook the headlight leveler, detach the framistan, and disassemble the burbulator before you can even see the oil filter?

I've built and worked on bicycles for years, have 11 vintage bikes plus one vintage tandem, often commute my 35 mile round trip to work by bicycle. Have also wrenched my now-sold GT6 and Spitfire, including but not limited to replacing diff and rear spring, rebuilding gearboxes several times, replacing tie rod ends, doing alignments, changing oil, and of course tuning. Also pretty serious work on all my previous cars except the X-1/9. At 71 I'm at a stage in life where I really don't want to do that stuff again unless I feel like it. I'm happy to pay someone else to change the oil.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have two dealerships equidistant to me. One is in a suburban area and wants $300 for an oil change. The other is in a ritzy area called Coral Gables where you see 3 porsches at every stoplight. They want $450 for the same oil change. I just did it myself a couple weeks ago. Once you remove the plate there's nothing different than any other car. Cost me $45 between the oil and filter. Didn't take very long at all.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This thread has at least momentarily taken a fun left turn.

I bet your vintage tandem is from my employer, Santana Cycles.
Well, it is a 1982 Peugeot TH8. I wouldn't have thought it was made by Santana though we've had it mistaken for one at least once. I have replaced the stoker's crank with a 140mm crank. The brakes are original style. The rear hub, headset, front crank, and brakes are original.

Here we are with the bike five years ago.

Some of my other reconstructions:

'83 Peugeot PF10 (originally a PFN10)

'86 Gazelle Champion Mondial

Since this is a car forum I won't post any more pics.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had an
I bet your vintage tandem is from my employer, Santana Cycles.
Nice! I had an Arriva many moons ago that was a really good bike. Used to time trial on that puppy. It's a lot of fun to be on the aero bars on a tandem!!. Lost the bike to the ex though and my current wife isn't really in to giving up that level of control to me so it's all single bikes now.😋

·
Registered
604 Posts
This thread has at least momentarily taken a fun left turn.

Well, it is a 1982 Peugeot TH8. I wouldn't have thought it was made by Santana though we've had it mistaken for one at least once. I have replaced the stoker's crank with a 140mm crank. The brakes are original style. The rear hub, headset, front crank, and brakes are original.

Here we are with the bike five years ago.

Some of my other reconstructions:

'83 Peugeot PF10 (originally a PFN10)

'86 Gazelle Champion Mondial

Since this is a car forum I won't post any more pics.
I can see why it was confused with a Santana. It's the same color as my Arriva was.
Nice photos!

·
Registered
604 Posts
To continue the tangent...
My current bikes are a Bianchi Oltre (carbon fiber) and a Pegoretti (steel). The Bianchi is sweet and light but the Pegoretti is the best handling bike I've ever been on!! I think I need to ride it more.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am surprised by the high cost of an oil change...I took the body panel off in a few minutes and I had to look for the nuts/bolts as I was unfamiliar....beyond that it is straight forward. This is on my lift so easier....but the dealers obviously have lifts. Quite the Porsche tax on that job.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can see why it was confused with a Santana. It's the same color as my Arriva was.
Nice photos!
Ah but that isn't the original color. Like many Peugeots of that era it was white. I had it painted. That is a '63 Corvette color! If I can spell it right it is Nassau Blue.

·
Registered
621 Posts
To continue the tangent...
My current bikes are a Bianchi Oltre (carbon fiber) and a Pegoretti (steel). The Bianchi is sweet and light but the Pegoretti is the best handling bike I've ever been on!! I think I need to ride it more.
Ah a Pegoretti? Great Googoolee Moogoolee! :cool: He passed away in '18. His bikes are collectable if just for the paint schemes. Which frame do you have?

Sorry for the thread drift :rolleyes:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ah a Pegoretti? Great Googoolee Moogoolee! :cool: He passed away in '18. His bikes are collectable if just for the paint schemes. Which frame do you have?

Sorry for the thread drift :rolleyes:
Mine is a basic Palosanto, single color blue. I had it repainted in the same color a few years back because unfortunately the original Italian paint job was so badly done. I was able to get the real, original decals from Dario though before the repaint once I had convinced him the bike was a true Pegoretti. Apparently there is a large market in fakes. I sent him photos of the redo after it was complete. BTW and FWIW, I believe mine could be the 1st Pegoretti sold in the US because of timing of purchase, etc.

His death was a loss for the industry. Very unfortunate.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts