Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

Registered
Back on thread 馃槈

in the UK, 718 CS, 13500 miles, 1st service, 拢625, Porsche Leeds.

Super Moderator
@DriveInHouston It was just an oil change, I don't know if that differs from the 10K service.

I change the oil right away on all my cars that have been bought used. Piece of mind knowing it has the proper oil and filter on it since it came from a non-Porsche dealer
Mine was an oil change too. I change the oil in-between 10k mi. service intervals (i.e. 15k, 25k, 35k...) I do the service intervals (10k, 20k, 30k,...) at the dealership. As a minimum it includes oil/filter change and in addition changing engine and cabin air filters, at 20k they changed the brake fluid as well, I can't remember offhand what else it entailed...

Registered
Out the door in under $29 including tax, on my 370Z for the last 11 years.
Need to search for a how to on changing my own oil on the Porsche. Although my understanding is that if you bring your own oil and filter to local indie shops that specialize in german cars, they won't charge you much more than another $40-50 for labor. Still researching local indie shops, hence the thread I started yesterday.

Registered
My first service (1 year or 10K miles...whichever comes first) was "free" at Porsche Monmouth here in NJ. The car had about 5K miles on it at the time.

I just got a dealer quote for my 2 year service (or 20K miles...whichever comes first). My car had about 10K miles on and the quote was about $670.

So my local PCA pointed me towards several independent shops. The one I picked did the oil change plus some "checking" for about $260.
I'm honestly too busy working on my other cars to deal with the Porsche.

Registered
My first service (1 year or 10K miles...whichever comes first) was "free" at Porsche Monmouth here in NJ. The car had about 5K miles on it at the time.

I just got a dealer quote for my 2 year service (or 20K miles...whichever comes first). My car had about 10K miles on and the quote was about $670.

So my local PCA pointed me towards several independent shops. The one I picked did the oil change plus some "checking" for about $260.
I'm honestly too busy working on my other cars to deal with the Porsche.
Would you mind sharing the indie shops in this thread, trying to build up a good list for everyone's benefit (also, I'm not too far from Monmouth NJ, and although I'm sure there are closer good indie shops, still wouldn't mind knowing what's available in central jersey).

Registered
I am surprised by the high cost of an oil change...I took the body panel off in a few minutes and I had to look for the nuts/bolts as I was unfamiliar....beyond that it is straight forward. This is on my lift so easier....but the dealers obviously have lifts. Quite the Porsche tax on that job.
Thanks for the tip! I have a lift too, and may change the oil on my 718 given the price.

Super Moderator
...local indie shops that specialize in german cars, they won't charge you much more than another $40-50 for labor....
In Pakistan? :pMaybe...:rolleyes:

In Houston I have oil changed in my wife's BMW and costs $100 + parts, at the corner Shell station. I don't think that anyone charges less than 1 hr in labor, if they take a glance at your car...

But let's put it this way, $233/yr for the next 10 years? Big deal... I don't think I will be able to get in and out of the thing in 10 years time, my son will probably take over...

Registered
In Pakistan? :pMaybe...:rolleyes:

In Houston I have oil changed in my wife's BMW and costs $100 + parts, at the corner Shell station. I don't think that anyone charges less than 1 hr in labor, if they take a glance at your car...

But let's put it this way, $233/yr for the next 10 years? Big deal... I don't think I will be able to get in and out of the thing in 10 years time, my son will probably take over...
Well this is why I'm researching "good" indie shops, not just ones that know what they're doing, but also ones that won't rip you off on an oil change solely because of the badge on the hood of the car. But I will let you know once I get a list of local places from my local PCA members, and find out. Having said that, what I wrote before was relayed to me by a friend who has been getting his Cayenne serviced like that at two different local indie places.

Registered
My very good local indie charges $125 for my DD VW Passat as they only use the expensive synthetic oil that VW specs. Worth it!

Registered
Of course the big one, which includes spark plugs, etc..., is at the 4 year / 40K mark.
Spark plugs are changed at 30k in the 718 and some other turbocharged vehicles.
And while there are only four of them, the turbocharger seems to make them harder to access. (My dealer quoted me $590.52 just for the spark plug replacement.)

Registered
Spark plugs are changed at 30k in the 718 and some other turbocharged vehicles.
And while there are only four of them, the turbocharger seems to make them harder to access. (My dealer quoted me $590.52 just for the spark plug replacement.)
FYI

The turbo charger doesn't make the spark plugs difficult to access. You get to the coils & plugs by simply removing both rear wheels and a small heat shield on the passenger side.

If you haven't seen the spark plug DIY thread below already, I would check it out:

Registered
Porsche of San Antonio just quoted $420 for the annual service on my 2017 718 BS and $285 to flush and refresh the brake fluid...$705 total.

Does this sound reasonable? Regardless, I plan to obtain some Inde quotes on Monday morning when they open.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts