Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had the cracks repaired at the dealer this weekend. I tried to take photos that accentuate the cracks that have been repaired, but it is dusk here so not very good photos. I think the crack grew a little the few days that I was away, before I could have it repaired. Not sure if it is better than just replacing it. I have read that it is not safe to have a crack that runs along the edge. The hairline crack runs perpendicular to the edge. Hopefully it will suffice.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had the cracks repaired at the dealer this weekend. I tried to take photos that accentuate the cracks that have been repaired, but it is dusk here so not very good photos. I think the crack grew a little the few days that I was away, before I could have it repaired. Not sure if it is better than just replacing it. I have read that it is not safe to have a crack that runs along the edge. The hairline crack runs perpendicular to the edge. Hopefully it will suffice.
...unless it's my imagination, the crack does look like it "grew". Now it looks like it's almost to the edge as seen in your 3rd photo? What did the repair technician think? I know in Maine (I think all of New England), they're pretty strict regarding cracks in the windshield/annual inspections.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
...unless it's my imagination, the crack does look like it "grew". Now it looks like it's almost to the edge as seen in your 3rd photo? What did the repair technician think? I know in Maine (I think all of New England), they're pretty strict regarding cracks in the windshield/annual inspections.
The guy who does the repairs at the dealership just said that you will still be able to see the crack once it is repaired, which I knew. I took the car to the shop/ sub contractor who does the repairs for the dealership last week and the guy there said it is fixable. However, he was not the same person who did the repair at the dealership. Not sure if I should take the car to a Safelite or other Porsche dealership nearby for another opinion.

edit: tomorrow I hope to take it to the other dealership for their opinion.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The guy who does the repairs at the dealership just said that you will still be able to see the crack once it is repaired, which I knew. I took the car to the shop/ sub contractor who does the repairs for the dealership last week and the guy there said it is fixable. However, he was not the same person who did the repair at the dealership. Not sure if I should take the car to a Safelite or other Porsche dealership nearby for another opinion.
...I'm far from a glass expert but if you have concerns, a second opinion couldn't hurt...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Guaji, you can take a marker and make a mark at the end of the crack on the outside of the windshield. If you look at it later and the crack is beyond the marker line then you know it is growing. The marker line comes off easily afterward with alcohol.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I just picked up my new 718 yesterday, and on the drive from LA to Austin, picked up a small windshield chip. :(
Sorry to hear that; also happened to me when driving on I35. The other highly vulnerable area are the headlights and this time around I am going to use a PPF. I had several chips on each of the headlights something I never experienced on the other cars I have owned.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@OldJedi thanks for the tip on the marker. To further add to my story, it does seem the original dealer I went to has an unusually high cost for labor. They say it is because they use their own techs who are trained by Porsche. I called a second dealer near where I am and the labor rate was $300 and they use someone that comes to the dealer to install the glass. I wasn't sure if it is normal to use a third party, so I called my home dealer, Champion Porsche, and they too use a third party installer that comes to the dealer at $350 labor charge. Now I am beginning to understand why my insurance company was surprised at the $1300 labor charge of the first dealer.
@limniscate , sorry to hear about your windshield.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear that; also happened to me when driving on I35. The other highly vulnerable area are the headlights and this time around I am going to use a PPF. I had several chips on each of the headlights something I never experienced on the other cars I have owned.
I thought you're not supposed to PPF the headlights because of possible delamination. Is that not true?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I thought you're not supposed to PPF the headlights because of possible delamination. Is that not true?
My headlights have PPF. I believe PPF may damage the headlight surface. I cannot remember why exactly, either due to heating of the surface or upon taking the PPF off.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I haven't decided if I am going to PPF my headlights. The issue is more if you have to remove the PPF, which you would have to do if you take a rock strike. But if that happens and it's bad enough then you'd be replacing the headlight without the PPF, so the risk of it delaminating seems minimized, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't decided if I am going to PPF my headlights. The issue is more if you have to remove the PPF, which you would have to do if you take a rock strike. But if that happens and it's bad enough then you'd be replacing the headlight without the PPF, so the risk of it delaminating seems minimized, but I'm not sure.
I'm leasing. Do you guys think I should PPF the headlights? Back to the topic at hand: I went to a windshield repair shop this morning, and the technician said that the crack is too small to fix. Oh well, it's a car; I'll just try to enjoy it and not keep it pristine.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Porsche recommends against PPF coverage of the headlights for the reason you stated but it is easier to repair a delaminated headlight then a chipped one. After 9 months of ownership, and I never tracked my CS, I had 4 or 5 chips in each lens. I am most definitely doing the headlight PPF. Where the PPF covered the painted surface I had zero chips. Plus I will be doing ExoShield on the windshield.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Porsche recommends against PPF coverage of the headlights for the reason you stated but it is easier to repair a delaminated headlight then a chipped one. After 9 months of ownership, and I never tracked my CS, I had 4 or 5 chips in each lens. I am most definitely doing the headlight PPF. Where the PPF covered the painted surface I had zero chips. Plus I will be doing ExoShield on the windshield.
You are the second person that has mentioned ExoShield. Is it PPF for the windshield?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have clear-bra to the A pillars on 4 of my toys. I never thought of having it put on the windshield. If I have it installed on the windshield are there any vision problems & will it reduce radar detector range?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have clear-bra to the A pillars on 4 of my toys. I never thought of having it put on the windshield. If I have it installed on the windshield are there any vision problems & will it reduce radar detector range?
...I visited their site. I suggest you do the same. I did not see any mention of how it may or may not affect a radar detector. If I understood correctly, they indicate a slight (read negligible) reduction in optical clarity with the primary benefit of a 6 fold increase in chip resistance.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Thanks for the info and links. Do you think it would interfere with the automated wiper detection of rain on the windshield?
I don't believe so but I sent the following questions to the certified installer I will be using plus I asked the manufacturer and will get back with you once they respond.

Questions I posed to the installer & Manufacturer:

1.would ExoShield infer with the Porsche Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor function? 2. if you need to use the windshield wipers can that potentially scratch/mar the Exoshield layer?

More to follow.........

21 - 40 of 59 Posts