Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I believe the wipers can potentially scratch the film. Therefore Alchemy offer a package, where you pay $60 a year and they send you wiper blade replacements every 3 months. I intend to just clean my wipers well every week using denatured alcohol.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
You are the second person that has mentioned ExoShield. Is it PPF for the windshield?
Thanks for the info and links. Do you think it would interfere with the automated wiper detection of rain on the windshield?
I believe the wipers can potentially scratch the film. Therefore Alchemy offer a package, where you pay $60 a year and they send you wiper blade replacements every 3 months. I intend to just clean my wipers well every week using denatured alcohol.
Here is the Manufacturer response, and is pretty much what Guaji stated:

Thank you so much for your interest in ExoShield and awesome choice on your next vehicle. ExoShield is a clear film, so it does not interfere with any sensors on the windshield. As for windshield wipers, ExoShield is incredibly scratch resistant. That being said, damaged windshield wipers (without the rubber on them) could cause scratches over time. We have a program called ExoCare where for $60 a year, consumers can receive a new set of wiper blades every 4 months. This is a cost effective way to ensure your ExoShield lasts as long as possible!

I hope this answers your questions, and if you have any others feel free to let me know!

Best,
Marissa

·
Registered
466 Posts
Your owners manual states that you should use nothing but water or washer solvent (IIRC) on your wiper blades as there is a coating on the blades. YMMV

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your owners manual states that you should use nothing but water or washer solvent (IIRC) on your wiper blades as there is a coating on the blades. YMMV
Naturally.... of course there is a coating on the blades!!!! Why else would they cost four times as much a normal blade. But yet, they won’t make perforated Alcantara so you can have ventilated seats in your GTS. I’m not always sure about Porsche logic.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Naturally.... of course there is a coating on the blades!!!! Why else would they cost four times as much a normal blade. But yet, they won’t make perforated Alcantara so you can have ventilated seats in your GTS. I’m not always sure about Porsche logic.
Nor can they make their dashboard visible in all light conditions!! 😄 {: )}

·
Super Moderator
1,553 Posts
I'm saying this as both a forum member and as a Moderator:

Give this up. Or go buy an STi or an F Sport. This forum is not NASIOC or ClubLexus (I've been a contributing member of both). All you're doing is muddying up threads and not contributing to the discussions at hand in those threads.

Thank you for your cooperation.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Here is the response from my certified ExoShield installer and pay particular attention to the wiper blade care/maintenance and I quote:

"I reached out to the manufacturer and they assured me that there are no issues with it affecting the sensors.

Regarding the wipers,the product does have the very best scratch resistant coating available. It is not scratch proof though. The manufacturer recommends that you periodically lift the wipers away from the glass and clean the with a microfiber cloth to maintain them and help reduce the risk of scratching. We have not had one return yet for scratches from the wipers.

Please let me know if you have questions. I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Jason"

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks...that's good to know...I've been using damp clothes to clean my wipers. I was thinking when I do have Exoshield on a non-cracked windshield , I would have to change my wiper cleaning routine......probably not. I was going to put the Exoshiled on top of my damaged windshield but decided to eventually replace it then put on Exoshield.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm saying this as both a forum member and as a Moderator:

Give this up. Or go buy an STi or an F Sport. This forum is not NASIOC or ClubLexus (I've been a contributing member of both). All you're doing is muddying up threads and not contributing to the discussions at hand in those threads.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Dude, it was a joke, in line with the quoted comkent. Can't you tell by all the smileys! I started to explain it in my first post but figured everyone would get it. Guess not.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't think a clear coating would affect the rain sensor. Reading the manual indicates that dirt etc. blocking the sensor is a no-no, so it seems the detection is visual.

Of course if it does block the sensor, how hard would it be to cut out the small spot over the sensor? You'd have to be VERY unlucky to have a hit in that tiny spot.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Mate, if you can't see the dashboard, I suggest either open your eyes or get glasses.>:D

If it's the instrument lighting that's the issue, you can just turn on the headlights.0:)

p.s.--I saw the smilie, even if the forum can't reproduce it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is there any way through which i can repair my windshield by own so that i save money from hiring windshield replacement or repair experts.
Welcome, honestly if you have to ask the question then I would recommend that you take it to a professional, depending on the damage it could affect forward visibility and structural integrity of the car...

·
Super Moderator
711 Posts
Welcome, honestly if you have to ask the question then I would recommend that you take it to a professional, depending on the damage it could affect forward visibility and structural integrity of the car...
Structural integrity only of the windshield, I hope, otherwise we are all doomed! :eek:

PS: I believe I read a thread on Rennlist, long time ago, that there is only one supplier for 718 glass and Safelite and your Porsche dealer buy from the same source. I can't verify whether this is true or not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Structural integrity only of the windshield, I hope, otherwise we are all doomed! :eek:

PS: I believe I read a thread on Rennlist, long time ago, that there is only one supplier for 718 glass and Safelite and your Porsche dealer buy from the same source. I can't verify whether this is true or not.
No, laminated safety glass such as used in windshields contributes to the overall structural strength of the windshield hoop, additionally it is part of the consideration for airbag deployment...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am being unreasonable not to consider Safelite? I definitely want Porsche glass. The big difference is the cost of labor. I’m willing to pay more for a better job. I would think the Porsche techs are (hopefully) better trained to work with Porsches than other places such as Safelite.
I had a fine experience with Safelite when replacing my MX-5 windshield. I get it, that's no Porsche. My thought though would be the Safelite guy does nothing but replaces windshields all day. The Porsche mechanic, while I like to assume highly skilled (and careful), likely only does a few a year. I don't think I'd go so far as to call you unreasonable, but this might be another angle to think of.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks...that's good to know...I've been using damp clothes to clean my wipers. I was thinking when I do have Exoshield on a non-cracked windshield , I would have to change my wiper cleaning routine......probably not. I was going to put the Exoshiled on top of my damaged windshield but decided to eventually replace it then put on Exoshield.
Although not Exoshield, I have been installing Clearplex on a few of my cars for years now so I believe that I have some insight about windshield protection film...

First off, rarely is the installation absolutely perfect, that is, expect to see a few bits of trapped material under the film, if they are out of the direct line of sight and the important areas are free from them consider it a good job and carry on. Next all added windshield films are plastic, sure they have coatings to minimize the scratching but in the end they are not as hard as glass nor should they be, it is by design so they can absorb the impact energy and protect the glass beneath.

So the other consideration is the lifespan of the installed product, no matter what is claimed there is a wide variance to this for a few reasons, the biggest factors are how clean it is kept and how often the wipers make their sweep. If you use the wipers a lot, there is going to be scratching as there is always some kind of dirt falling on the vehicle, as the wiper travels this dirt and grit is collected at the blade and drags across the film, quite simply the more you wipe they faster it scratches, a big contributor to this is storing the vehicle outside as opposed to in a garage.

I work hard at extending the life of the windshield films, and can offer this, I have had examples where the same piece of film was on the car for 3 years, still 80%+ of new (stored in a garage, not winter driven) and I had a case where the film on my truck lasted only 7 months, but I drove it in the winter, parked it outside and believe it or not the worst abrasive was salt crystals being throw up by the cars ahead of me, you could actually see the shadow of the wiper blade on the film!

With all of my vehicles I wipe the blades, flush the glass and apply the manufacturers conditioning liquid, but in the end, your mileage (of the film) will certainly vary and once it starts to degrade it goes quickly and must be replaced or removed or it will hinder your vision. The other definite fact, it does work, I have lost count of the large stones that would have certainly cracked the glass and mandated a new windshield, sure there might be a nick in the film, but usually the glass beneath is left untouched. This also provides the benefit of never (or rarely) having to mess with the factory installed glass... all worth it to me!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the details - I had no idea those films existed. I just got the windscreen of my Audi chipped a couple months ago, just a week after buying it (!).
Fortunately we were able to get it fixed and the damage is barely visible, but I am dreading this happening to my Cayman and having to change the whole thing - and, the Cayman get much much more use than the Audi.

Definietly going to do some researches about local options (y)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I have ExoShield on both my cars. I definitely feel that it saved the windshield on my Carrera T after taking a nice (loud ) hit just by the A pillar. You could barely see where the object made contact. Even with the protection, I was surprised that it worked. It was a sound I know well from previous cracked windshields.

I keep my cars parked indoors and take care cleaning the glass properly. I try to use the wipers as little as possible for cleaning. I prefer cleaning them with a non ammonia spray and a micro fiber towel.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts