Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

So, I have '18 CS with "regular" cruise control.
On two occasions - I have got it into a condition where it will NOT enable with the stalk-end button.

Start - press stalk-end - CC icon slides in and all ready to go. Controls work fine.
BUT - if I fumble the stalk - cancel/off, speed-up- resume, combo end-press and push back - occasionally it will lock-off.
Logo is NOT visible and simple stalk end push will NOT enable.
Tried stop-re-start (engine and ign off) - didn't resolve.

Anyone aware of or experienced this? Is there a "safe" mode to protect from fat-fingers?
I found this after not using it for a LONG time, forgetting which way turned it ON, and randomly trying combos.
Once I (re) read the manual - figured was working fine if correct sequence, but there WAS a way to confuse it and it will NOT engage.

Some time with ignition off will reset, but if it's in that mode is there a "reset" sequence?

I've already swapped out the amber side-markers, so can't be that.
Heading into 2 yr service Friday, so can ask then, and if there's any sensors/faults, they should pick that up.

Chris

Registered
It is hard to guess what might be the cause of your experience based on your description.

But, in general, a problem with complex user-interfaces is that they can achieve a normal state in which they are waiting for a specific user-input and will not do anything until they detect the expected input. This especially happens on complex systems having many functions, and few controls or "buttons" because the system designers need to make each button perform multiple functions, depending on the use-context.

My point is that your cruise control might be doing what it is designed to do, and that you have inadvertently triggered a state in which it is waiting for you to perform some specific action. Since you cannot redesign the way it works, your remedy is to read the manual and train yourself to use the system in the way the designers intended.

Or, if you are under warranty, you can take it to the dealer and say, "fix it." Good luck with that. 馃槀

Cap

Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, quite convinced it's a software thing. Good idea to try systematic actions with buttons to get it OUT of that state.
Tried Sport on/off again already.

Will update if I get anything systematic figured out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts