Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Cayman Base MT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post, it's Northern New Jersey Specific but I'll take some advice from my fellow P-Car neighbors.

I've spent the last 7 weeks just trying to get contact with a dealership for a 20K service and new winter tires. I wont list the dealerships names because I'm not sure that's allowed here but.. (though I'd be happy to!) I called, emailed, submitted web requests about 3 times each to 6 dealerships within 1 hour of me. (NYC Metro area). 2 of them got back to me saying they'd follow up with estimates and info etc. They never did. The other 4 never returned any calls that I made. I finally just kept calling the one with the worst rating and got an appointment. I'm stuck with them now, and their rates aren't great (High price on the 20K service, asking $900 for spark plug replacement which seems ridiculous since it's an hour of work and the wheels are going to be off the car already etc.)

I realize there are supply chain shortages right now, and I was fine with waiting to get the tires in and an appointment but no follow ups? No call backs? I had similar issues when trying to order a new BMW so I'm not sure it's a Porsche-specific issue. I'm curious if anyone else gets completely ignored because we're "lowly" Cayman owners, or just general bad service in NJ. So far my Porsche customer experience has been a 1 out of 5 stars. I'd love to hear some advice.

2018 Base Cayman MT by the way. My review of the car is 10 out of 5 stars :)

·
Registered
2018 Cayman Base MT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this! I'm currently researching indy shops. I still have 2 years of CPO on mine so I was trying to do everything by the book at the dealer. I didn't use the appointment scheduling on most of the websites because I knew it may take a week to get the tires in. One of the places that did actually call me back after doing so said I'd have to come to the dealer in person first to order the tires. Then it would take a week to get them in. I passed on them because they didn't offer tire storage and I'd have to make a total of 6 trips to go pay for tires, service, then run each tire back home one at a time in the frunk an hour each way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
MichaelDidIt, sorry for your troubles and I don't live anywhere near you, but FWIW, I'm a maintenance freak (but not a wrencher) and its one of those few categories of expenses I don't mind spending money on (I maybe enjoy it?), anyways, I've always tried to find a local mechanic shop who specializes in my make and have been mostly lucky to find just that. The neat part is you hopefully get to know the guys/gals well and it becomes a meaningful relationship. The point is, I've done this with both new and used cars, using the dealerships for mostly warranty-only work and I've never had any issues.

I think I've found the same here where I live, albeit I'm a bit more anxious with this being a Porsche. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman Base MT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ha! Paul Miller was one of the ones who did call me back. They immediately started mentioning all this additional work that would probably need to be done before even having my vin number. I still told them to get back to me with an appointment time and estimate. They never did. I called again. They never responded. Paul Miller's BMW location were the ones who originally blew my BMW M240i allocation which was a blessing because I ended up with the Cayman instead.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ha! Paul Miller was one of the ones who did call me back. They immediately started mentioning all this additional work that would probably need to be done before even having my vin number. I still told them to get back to me with an appointment time and estimate. They never did. I called again. They never responded. Paul Miller's BMW location were the ones who originally blew my BMW M240i allocation which was a blessing because I ended up with the Cayman instead.
So, my step-brother used to run the body shop for all Paul Miller.... in 2017 I was in the market for a car, and I figured he could maybe get me a discount. The 3 cars I were looking at were an E43 AMG Benz, an M550i and an M4. The sales rep at Paul Miller rushed to show me the 2 cars and told me he had to be somewhere and that we had to wrap this up. I said ok let's go ahead with the M4, as it was on the way on a boat. We wrote up the order and agreed to figures, but no deposits were made. It was due to be picked up in a week when it arrived. He called me later that night and said my payment was going to be $75 more a month than we agreed to that day, and that the discount from my step-brother was basically nothing now. What? I told him to get F'd.... he's like wait what? I'm like NO... NO...NO NO... what part about F U do you not understand? They are pure scum, and BMW's are garbage anyway. I went up to Newton Benz (formerly Intercar) and got 12% off sticker on the AMG 43.

Also a blessing in disguise, as the M4 was a numb, soulless vehicle. BMW overall is just absolute garbage. Mass-produced fool's gold...

He tried to rip me off then acted shocked when I canceled the order. Car salesmen are such filth... that's why they aren't doing actual B2B sales. Obviously there are good ones out there, but most I've come across left a trail when they walked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post, it's Northern New Jersey Specific but I'll take some advice from my fellow P-Car neighbors.

I've spent the last 7 weeks just trying to get contact with a dealership for a 20K service and new winter tires. I wont list the dealerships names because I'm not sure that's allowed here but.. (though I'd be happy to!) I called, emailed, submitted web requests about 3 times each to 6 dealerships within 1 hour of me. (NYC Metro area). 2 of them got back to me saying they'd follow up with estimates and info etc. They never did. The other 4 never returned any calls that I made. I finally just kept calling the one with the worst rating and got an appointment. I'm stuck with them now, and their rates aren't great (High price on the 20K service, asking $900 for spark plug replacement which seems ridiculous since it's an hour of work and the wheels are going to be off the car already etc.)

I realize there are supply chain shortages right now, and I was fine with waiting to get the tires in and an appointment but no follow ups? No call backs? I had similar issues when trying to order a new BMW so I'm not sure it's a Porsche-specific issue. I'm curious if anyone else gets completely ignored because we're "lowly" Cayman owners, or just general bad service in NJ. So far my Porsche customer experience has been a 1 out of 5 stars. I'd love to hear some advice.

2018 Base Cayman MT by the way. My review of the car is 10 out of 5 stars :)
Spark plugs just after 20k!, I replaced my at 90k on my last BMW. Todays spark plugs last at least 50K and most recomendations are now 100k.

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
Spark plugs just after 20k!, I replaced my at 90k on my last BMW. Todays spark plugs last at least 50K and most recomendations are now 100k.
20k miles (32,000 km) does seem a bit early and even with the Porsche tax and the Australian micro-dollar currency $900 is a LOT!

My Porsche manual (Australian version) recommends new plugs at 45,000 km. When I had them done the improvement was enough to force me to 're-calibrate' my right foot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts