Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am new to this forum .... I have a simple question:
We ordered our 718 Cayman from an eastcoast dealer in Australia in October 2016. in January, we were advised that we had been allocated a build slot in early March. In late march I was told that the car came off the production line in the second week of March (they even gave me a time and day!) and was entering quality control after which it would board a ship in week 15 (Mid-April) before making the 5-6 week journey to Australia. I asked for a VIN / chassis number but they could not give me one (how bizarre!).
Now we are told the car may be here at the end of June ...... which means it should be on a ship which means it should have a chassis number (but I still don't have one).
As an aside, an acquaintance ordered a 911Carrera 4S in January from the same dealership took delivery of their car last weekend.
Has anyone else experienced the same?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Kind regards,
d

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
I ordered my Boxster on the last day of February and was lucky enough to get an existing allocation for a build date of week 19 (May 8). It was completed early and got a ship early too.

As far as I can determine the ship is due in Melbourne on 9 June. What with customs, compliance control, trucking to Adelaide, and preparation I'm hoping for a delivery sometime the week after.

Porsche has limited slots for right hand drive vehicles and I was told that without the existing allocation delivery could take in excess of 6 months.

The only info the dealer has about the ship is the shortened name--Tuge--and a Melbourne arrival date of 27 June. The marine tracking website says 9 June for the car carrier Tugela. It's already a few days past Panama on the way to NZ, then Brisbane and Melbourne. They are currently out range unless you want to pay for the satellite tracking.

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg,
So am I correct in assuming that despite having some inkling that your car is on the boat, you do not have a VIN or chassis number? If that's the case, Porsche customer service seems to vary as a colleague of mine ordered a Macan GTS and she was given a VIN as it came off the production line and they tracked it all the way from there.....

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Thanks Greg,
So am I correct in assuming that despite having some inkling that your car is on the boat, you do not have a VIN or chassis number? If that's the case, Porsche customer service seems to vary as a colleague of mine ordered a Macan GTS and she was given a VIN as it came off the production line and they tracked it all the way from there.....
I didn't even ask. I just want the car! (The dealer did confirm that the car was completed as requested. I'm pretty sure the dealer can log onto Porsche and get information.)

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts