Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not to rain on anyones parade but the theoretical rate of depreciation is great until it intersects reality.......was not pretty in my case.
I was curious what I’d get for a trade on my highly optioned 95k GTS and ran it through Kelly Blue Books instant cash offer. 65k is what they offered on my 1800 mile example. :)

A year and a half ago I sold a 2016 Challenger ScatPac through them that I paid 42k for and got $37,500. I owned the Challenger for almost two years and it had 6000 miles on it when I sold it. Resale value varies greatly geographically and depending on the time of year.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was curious what I’d get for a trade on my highly optioned 95k GTS and ran it through Kelly Blue Books instant cash offer. 65k is what they offered on my 1800 mile example. :)

A year and a half ago I sold a 2016 Challenger ScatPac through them that I paid 42k for and got $37,500. I owned the Challenger for almost two years and it had 6000 miles on it when I sold it. Resale value varies greatly geographically and depending on the time of year.
I have been looking at used 718 GTS on CarGurus very regularly for the past two months while waiting for my order to lock. I regularly see used 2018 GTS's having original MSRP's in range of $92-99k. The dealer usually has them priced $78-82k. At $65k, your dealer(who uses KBB) wants to make double what he would make selling a new 718 GTS.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
walking through some real ghetto neighbourhoods, breeze (cinder) block houses with no windows and doors, visible mattresses on the floor, yet big old (new) Caddies and Lincolns parked on the street.
Why Peter that sounds like my home you should have popped in and said hello.:laugh: Sorry, but sadly after the 2RS purchase we couldn't afford windows and doors.>:D

·
Registered
474 Posts
walking through some real ghetto neighbourhoods, breeze (cinder) block houses with no windows and doors, visible mattresses on the floor, yet big old (new) Caddies and Lincolns parked on the street.
Why Peter that sounds like my home you should have popped in and said hello./forum/images/718forum/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png Sorry, but sadly after the 2RS purchase we couldn't afford windows and doors./forum/images/718forum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
...LOL...If you need help with those windows, let me know. My GT4 fund is way ahead of schedule and it seems I still have a bit of a wait for its official release! Happy to report I've retained my windows. Somehow, though, I suspect your windows are just fine, too!...

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
...LOL...If you need help with those windows, let me know. My GT4 fund is way ahead of schedule and it seems I still have a bit of a wait for its official release! Happy to report I've retained my windows. Somehow, though, I suspect your windows are just fine, too!...
Funny.....great to hear you're on target for your GT4. I still hope they offer PDK and FAL but we shall see.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Funny.....great to hear you're on target for your GT4. I still hope they offer PDK and FAL but we shall see.
...Me too. But if no FAL offered, I've already accepted the fact that the splitter is gonna do some scraping...cringe! I'll do my best to avoid this, but unfortunately I think it may be the reality of the situation without FAL, especially in the Northeast...Oh, back on topic. Personally, I never buy a car, dwelling on it's potential depreciation, whether I plan on owning it for 3 years or 30 years. It is what it is. Enjoy your car while you have it and don't look back. If I'm still enjoying my ride, I'll keep it, even if depreciation passes the 75% mark. I never sell "early" just because it may be worth much less down the road. When it comes time to sell, get the best deal you can, regardless of said depreciation, and move on...just my 2 cents (or was that 3 cents worth?)...LOL...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am not too worried as I did a lot of research and watched a **** load of car videos before making the CGTS decision. I own a 175 year old house. Totally remodeled it over the last 28 years , It looks almost new. It's paid for . The taxes are cheap , so I saved to buy my dream car. A 911 would have been nice , but It would have cost 150k to get it with the options I want. So the 718 gts model was the best choice. I actually prefer the fast back looks of the cayman, over the big ass of the 911. It is only slightlty disappointing that it is now a 4 banger, But it is still a Porsche. I plan on keeping it for at least 10 years. If I'm still alive at 65 I might do a new 911 and leave this earth with a **** eating grin . And I hope all of you do the same. Life is short. EAT DESSERT FIRST

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It is only slightlty disappointing that it is now a 4 banger, But it is still a Porsche. I plan on keeping it for at least 10 years. If I'm still alive at 65 I might do a new 911 and leave this earth with a **** eating grin
Don't be disappointed in the engine. It's a wicked 4-banger!

I plan on keeping mine for 10 years too, and if I'm still alive at 80 I may splurge for whatever big cheese Porsche is offering then. In the meantime I've one heckuva car to drive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not sure if this YouTube video was shared before but he did a detail analysis on 718 depreciation.

Also how the 718 compare with 981

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure I've taken a big hit. But I don't flip cars. I got a 10-year extended warranty for a reason. The stress of speccing the car, getting the allocation, etc was not something I'm in a hurry to repeat.

ETA: I still have this fantasy that in a few years we're going to have a big comeback as folks realize the potential of the 2.5T, the lack of a GPF, etc....maybe not popular with "traditional" Porsche owners, but bargain/tuning hunters.

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
59 Posts
Got my 19 GTS sticker of 106k with 2500 miles for 76k.

it’s got these beauts in it so may help it hold value in an enthusiasts view.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Depreciation is great for us pre-owned car shoppers. Picked up my 2018 base 718 cayman back in may for $47k. CPO, 14k miles, $71k original msrp.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I happily picked up my 2018 Cayman S CPO at 2 years old with 6500 miles for 64k. Original sticker was nearly 95k, the entire front half of the car was wrapped with PPF, and the original owner purchased the prepaid maintenance through year 5.
A deal very similar to mine. 2018 Cayman S, 10 mo. old but with more miles (11.3k). A PDK with PPF on all frontal surfaces (including rear fenders) and a 4 yr service contract for $63k.

CPOs are the best for taking advantage of someone else's depreciation loss. Best I've ever done was a BMW 740 iL with 36k mi. 3 year lease return. The car was indistinguishable from new. Better than anything I've ever seen. 50% off the base price (I never knew what the sticker was, but I don't think there were many options left for BMWs flagship).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Depreciation is great for us pre-owned car shoppers. Picked up my 2018 base 718 cayman back in may for $47k. CPO, 14k miles, $71k original msrp.
Sadly, or not, depending on which side of the transaction you're on, 987/981/982 models have such a small market, cater to such a small sliver of car buyers, that they simply don't seem to retain their value very well for the first few years. It just seems to be a fact of life for these cars. Part of the cost of ownership I suppose. There is though, a silver lining to everything. For example, they can be had for a very reasonable price both new or used, and you don't see them in every parking lot, much less at every traffic light.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts