Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster Order Placed ETA August 2021 (DD)
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Thank you again for all the help, specially considering how we've been undecided as of late regarding where we'll be moving, but my wife and I have FINALLY decided on the Frisco/ Plano area in the Dallas / DFW metro area because that was one of the only options other than NYC and Denver that her work would allow us to move...

That being said, I've been doing some research regarding ceramic coating and PPF in the area, as well as car washes, but would really appreciate any help in terms of where to get it done and who to get it done from. I called the Plano Porsche dealership and they referred me to Apex detailing, but they're charging a little bit too much, although the coating that they quoted is really comprehensive as well ($1,950). Has anyone used them before? Is there any other preferred detail shop that or car wash area that you recommend? We're getting our Boxster and should hopefully hear about our order confirmation soon, so will definitely share that!

We couldn't decide on a specific car wash/detail shop that would provide something like a weekly wash at a membership or lower cost as each wash was equivalent to detailing at approximately 125 to 150. Would you recommend getting PPF done on all of the car instead of ceramic coating? Please note that this is going to be our only car for a few years until we get another one, and we do drive a lot, approximately 35 to 40,000 miles a year, so protection is a must of course. Will be picking up the Boxster at Atlanta with the PEC, then driving it back to Dallas around July/August. Since we live in an apartment, and will be moving to another apartment, washing the car myself might be a little difficult, though I'll try my best. It will be parked in a covered area/garage though.

Would also appreciate feedback and input regarding SkyHouse at Frisco and Kincaid apartments if anyone has any experience with them.

As always, thank you so much!

P.S. Posting this in this channel because I'm not sure if it was viewable in the other.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Personally I'd put PPF on the front (bumper, bonnet, front arches, mirrors), side sills and rear bumper lower quarter. That's the most cost effective and protects the most vulnerable parts. Not sure on dollar price, but in the UK I've been quoted £1,800.

Then it's up to you if you want to add a ceramic coating on top. It does add gloss and makes washing easier. If you do, might as well to the alloys at the same time. Ceramic for the entire car is around £700.

The roof can be protected by something like gtechniq smart fabric, and the interior with gtechniq leather guard. I'd also put the smart fabric on the floor mats as it makes cleaning much easier.

I'm having it done as the car sits low to the ground and so picks up a lot of chips.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I'd put PPF on the front (bumper, bonnet, front arches, mirrors), side sills and rear bumper lower quarter. That's the most cost effective and protects the most vulnerable parts. Not sure on dollar price, but in the UK I've been quoted £1,800.

Then it's up to you if you want to add a ceramic coating on top. It does add gloss and makes washing easier. If you do, might as well to the alloys at the same time. Ceramic for the entire car is around £700.

The roof can be protected by something like gtechniq smart fabric, and the interior with gtechniq leather guard. I'd also put the smart fabric on the floor mats as it makes cleaning much easier.

I'm having it done as the car sits low to the ground and so picks up a lot of chips.
Thank you! The PPF for those areas (except the rear bumper area I think) is around 1800 as well. The ceramic coating is the expensive one. I’ve been thinking if it might be worth getting the whole car covered in PPF since the cost will be approx 4.5k or so anyway with the ceramic as well. I’ll get a hand car wash membership or something as well, so that will take care of the cleaning aspect, though the ceramic will definitely help with that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
are you saying full PPF vs 1/2 PPF with ceramic?

There's no right or wrong answer. PPF is great as it has the self healing properties to remove light swirls, and more importanly helps prevent chips. The cons is it doesn't make the car easier to clean, nor does it add any hydrophobics or gloss to the paint.

If cost is not a factor, the ultimate is full PPF and full ceramic. I'm more best bang for your buck though. It's unlikely you collect chips on the doors, or the rear (lower bumper aside) so protect the important areas and ceramic the lot. It will look amazing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you saying full PPF vs 1/2 PPF with ceramic?

There's no right or wrong answer. PPF is great as it has the self healing properties to remove light swirls, and more importanly helps prevent chips. The cons is it doesn't make the car easier to clean, nor does it add any hydrophobics or gloss to the paint.

If cost is not a factor, the ultimate is full PPF and full ceramic. I'm more best bang for your buck though. It's unlikely you collect chips on the doors, or the rear (lower bumper aside) so protect the important areas and ceramic the lot. It will look amazing.
Thank you! Trying to get best bang for buck as well since budget is a bit constrained. The last point you mentioned is what we've decided on so far (PPF on important and ceramic on full), but since we're gonna keep it and how everyone mentions ceramic doesn't protect against chips and also how everyone mentions in CAN get chipped in different areas, it's like bordering on paranoia, haha :D I checked with the PPF installer and he said it would be 1600 for the basics including lower rear bumper, 600 for rocker panels, and 600 for doors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you! Trying to get best bang for buck as well since budget is a bit constrained. The last point you mentioned is what we've decided on so far (PPF on important and ceramic on full), but since we're gonna keep it and how everyone mentions ceramic doesn't protect against chips and also how everyone mentions in CAN get chipped in different areas, it's like bordering on paranoia, haha :D I checked with the PPF installer and he said it would be 1600 for the basics including lower rear bumper, 600 for rocker panels, and 600 for doors.
Yeah, personally I think that's the best way. You get best of everything, sensible costs, protection where you need it, and the benefits of the ceramic

Funnily enough, I've just had my OPC call to talk this all through

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, personally I think that's the best way. You get best of everything, sensible costs, protection where you need it, and the benefits of the ceramic

Funnily enough, I've just had my OPC call to talk this all through
Haha, thanks! Now all that's left is to find a decent ceramic coating company and go with it. Saw some nice hand car washes too, do you/ would you use them?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Haha, thanks! Now all that's left is to find a decent ceramic coating company and go with it. Saw some nice hand car washes too, do you/ would you use them?
I wouldn't personally use them myself. Last year I invested in a clear water setup, so if you have a garage something like that maybe helpful. If not, and you have a little outside space you could get an outdoor storage container with a lock. So long as you have access to a tap and power.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't personally use them myself. Last year I invested in a clear water setup, so if you have a garage something like that maybe helpful. If not, and you have a little outside space you could get an outdoor storage container with a lock. So long as you have access to a tap and power.
I'll have to check that with the apartment communities we'll be touring next month, but if that's the case, sounds like a plan, otherwise I'm guessing I'll have little choice. If it were up to me, Costco sells great washing material by Maguiar's, so I'd just get the wash gloves, detailing kit, tire shine (if not included), and rag top cleaner/ spray, and be done in ~100 for a few months.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll have to check that with the apartment communities we'll be touring next month, but if that's the case, sounds like a plan, otherwise I'm guessing I'll have little choice. If it were up to me, Costco sells great washing material by Maguiar's, so I'd just get the wash gloves, detailing kit, tire shine (if not included), and rag top cleaner/ spray, and be done in ~100 for a few months.
Megs is good, especially the wash mit. If you have ceramic done, might be worth matching the products up....so if it's gtechniq ceramic you could get their products. The c2 for example works well over ceramic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
82 Posts
getting more details on that, but I think it's gtechniq. Good idea in terms of getting the same product too, thanks! I was referring to this product kit - https://www.costco.com/meguiar's-gold-class-car-detailing-kit.product.100486454.html
Just wait till you have ceramic.... You'll soon realise you don't need polish and wax products. Just wash it....if it's gtechniq just use c2 everyone once in a while. No need to spend money on extras. It's one of the benefits of having ceramic.

You won't be doing it any favours.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wait till you have ceramic.... You'll soon realise you don't need polish and wax products. Just wash it....if it's gtechniq just use c2 everyone once in a while. No need to spend money on extras. It's one of the benefits of having ceramic.

You won't be doing it any favours.
haha, great way to put it! Just heard back about it and the shop said they will use Ceramic Pro, but man, the 1950 is still pretty expensive, no?

·
Registered
82 Posts
haha, great way to put it! Just heard back about it and the shop said they will use Ceramic Pro, but man, the 1950 is still pretty expensive, no?
1950 dollars just for ceramic on a boxster? That's double what you should be paying.

My dealer is charging me £2750 for PPF, full gtechniq ceramic, roof, alloys and interior, plus a covered transporter to and from the dealership.

They use two ceramic coatings halo and exo.

1800 PPF
700 Ceramic and other bits
250 Transporter

I'd ring around and get some other quotes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1950 dollars just for ceramic on a boxster? That's double what you should be paying.

My dealer is charging me £2750 for PPF, full gtechniq ceramic, roof, alloys and interior, plus a covered transporter to and from the dealership.

They use two ceramic coatings halo and exo.

I'd ring around and get some other quotes.
sounds like luxury compared to what I'm being asked to pay! haha, but I checked with others and the price seems right around what others have paid... Could be something to do with the US I suppose... Although cleaning the vehicle myself will be a pain in an apartment, having to pay less overall is definitely worth it. With ceramic, cleaning is easier, but I don't want to (nor can I) spend an arm and a leg to get the Boxster and then worry a ton about what we paid for it other than the warranties, price, etc. I mean, as a student and still in the early-ish stages of life, this is becoming a whale of a problem :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
sounds like luxury compared to what I'm being asked to pay! haha, but I checked with others and the price seems right around what others have paid... Could be something to do with the US I suppose... Although cleaning the vehicle myself will be a pain in an apartment, having to pay less overall is definitely worth it. With ceramic, cleaning is easier, but I don't want to (nor can I) spend an arm and a leg to get the Boxster and then worry a ton about what we paid for it other than the warranties, price, etc. I mean, as a student and still in the early-ish stages of life, this is becoming a whale of a problem :D
I think on a Porsche you need to protect your investment. PPF and ceramic is a must as is something like gap insurance. Not sure if you have that in the US.

Don't get yourself into debt though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think on a Porsche you need to protect your investment. PPF and ceramic is a must as is something like gap insurance. Not sure if you have that in the US.

Don't get yourself into debt though.
exactly! Finally someone who calls it an investment! :D I agree that protection is a must, and GAP is a no brainer, so the only thing left is to find someone who can do the ceramic properly at a lower cost. If I get the PPF on the front, rockers, rear, and doors, it should be about <3.5k, but if we go with the recommended protections, PPF on the front and rockers would be about 2200 plus approx 1800 for ceramic but no door or rear bumper protection...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
@Mraza4442 this is Texas, there are plenty of places that you can go and clean and detail the car yourself (plus give you a hose for vacuuming...) If you don't trust their water, bring your own, (Oxarka, Evian etc). Don't forget... Texas!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Mraza4442 this is Texas, there are plenty of places that you can go and clean and detail the car yourself (plus give you a hose for vacuuming...) If you don't trust their water, bring your own, (Oxarka, Evian etc). Don't forget... Texas!
haha, been away 2.5 years, but feels like far too long! man! Would appreciate your input in terms of Houston though as we'll be frequently visiting H Town as we've got family there, specifically Sugar Land. Does Houston have a lot of events/ drives? Or is it more like a "All of Texas" thing? Recommend any car washes or stuff for the drive back? I know some roads there (and will check the roads app as well), but any other input from pros will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
haha, been away 2.5 years, but feels like far too long! man! Would appreciate your input in terms of Houston though as we'll be frequently visiting H Town as we've got family there, specifically Sugar Land. Does Houston have a lot of events/ drives? Or is it more like a "All of Texas" thing? Recommend any car washes or stuff for the drive back? I know some roads there (and will check the roads app as well), but any other input from pros will be much appreciated!
I sent you a PM

1 - 20 of 32 Posts