Porsche 718 Forum banner

Diagnostic Tool for 718

30K views 74 replies 31 participants last post by  autobahn 
#1 ·
Can someone confirm which diagnostic tool(s) are compatible with the 718?

I am primarily wanting to reset the service/oil change indicator with the diagnostic tool.

After doing some research on this forum and other sites, I believe the iCarsoft POR V2.0 is compatible with the 718.

I read where @jt4006 posted that the iCarsoft device was able to reset the service/oil change indicator, but also read where @Rob G said the company still needed to issue a software update to make the device compatible with the 718.

I emailed iCarsoft, and they responded with "Yes,POR V2.0 can work on your car."

Can any fellow forum members confirm iCarsoft's claim?

I also checked with Durametric, and they don't offer a compatible device/software package at this time.

#3 ·
I emailed iCarsoft, and they responded with "Yes,POR V2.0 can work on your car."
I'm sure it will but to what degree?
Before ordering I would request a specific list of functions that work on the 982.

"
▪Full System Diagnosis ▪Support Oil Service Reset
▪Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) system maintenance
▪Battery Management System (BMS)
▪Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration Control System
▪Electronic Throttle Control System (ETC)
▪Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) Calibration
▪ABS Bleeding(some vehicles do not enjoy this function)
▪Injector Coding(some vehicles do not enjoy this function)
▪Read &Clear DTC ▪Read Live Data
▪Support Battery Test ▪Support Data Review and Print
▪Full Speed Upgrade via PC ▪4.0″ TFT LCD, 480*320 Pixels
▪Support Multi-Language "

#4 · (Edited)
I purchased icarsoft POR V2.0 in July 2019, for my cayman 718 (982) 2.0, my2017.
Oil service reset work fine!
In service folder i tried for BMS replacement with the news codes of new battery, but i found only the service for 981.
In 5 October 2019 i wrote to icarsoft support about BMS replacement (icarsoft por v2.0) for porsche 718 cayman (MY2017), but they answered me that they was still working on it.
To date nothing online in software update for BMS replacement service for 982.
Has anyone news about it?

Reactions: Goblin59 and jns211
#5 ·
I purchased the iCarsoft CR V2.0(1+4) because it was just a few bucks more and it allowed me to use it for both my 718 BS and my BMW X5. I checked with them beforehand and they told me there was no difference between this and the POR 2.0

Reactions: Goblin59
#6 ·
I report the answer of suppport yesterday: " We are still working on it. It will take a little long time."

Reactions: Goblin59
#8 ·
I used the iCarsoft POR V2.0 tool this weekend to reset both the 10,000 mile oil change service reminder as well as the 30,000 mile "major maintenance" service reminder.

I bought this diagnostic tool from amazon, and the seller already had the latest software installed on the device before it shipped to me. It was just plug & play directly out of the box.

It only took about 10 minutes to get everything figured out with all of the menus, code scanning, etc.

I think for the major maintenance service reminder reset I had to pick the 981 model option, but it worked just fine and reset the service reminder without any issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2WF96Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#10 ·
I did notice a menu for battery replacement on the diagnostic tool. However, I did not delve into that menu last weekend.

From what i've read online, the battery replacement option might not work yet.

I just cleaned my car inside & out, and it will be in storage for the next 7 days or so. When I get my car out again, I will plug up the diagnostic tool and play around with the battery replacement menu.

While you're waiting on me, you might try to send an e-mail directly to iCarsoft to ask them. They were quick to respond when I e-mailed them about the POR V2.0 diagnostic tool back in August.

#16 ·
Just purchased and used icarsoft por 2.0 this week.(Thanks for all the positive posts) The software was one update behind. Easy to update. It worked perfect to reset oil message. I contacted the manufacturer about the battery reset. Mr Barnett Davies(Barnett Davies iCarsoft.us) said,”Sorry,it can't support BMS on your car yet. We are still working on it.” Maybe several e-mails requesting the BMS update will light a fire under them.

#19 ·
Hi
Thats good to hear. I tried to reset my "maintenance required" warning on my 2018 Boxster 718 Manual with the iCarsoft POR v2 tool and couldn't find a 718 Boxster listed. Did you use another setting ??981 or did you find the right listing ? Thanks for any help Dave

#26 ·
Software updates - are the most critical part of the iCarsoft POR V2.0 tool. With each progressive update that iCarsoft does they add more capabilities to the unit. Making sure you have the latest software version should allow you do "do more" with that diagnostic tool. It can be difficult to get their updates via their website. What they should do is post the latest version in a "zip" file for download then all the end user would have to do is download, "unzip"/install the latest version and load that directly to the micro SD card that comes with the unit. I found I had to delete whatever old version was on the card first then upload the latest version. Look for the latest Firmware package/version.

#29 ·
Hi Dkmajm,
really easy honestly, download and install the update and installer software from the website, then plug the usb cab into the computer, drive d will be recognise, open it up, make a file copy (just in case you mess up) on the hard drive then delete the files on the sd
open the download installer you just installed and choose all from the menu
press download and wait until the installation complete box pops up
job done (y)
Cheers A