Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a DIY oil and filter change on a 718? I would like to know if it is similar to an oil change on a 987 or 981. Is access to the filter and drain plug more difficult? Thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would like to know the answer to this also. Maybe no-one has accumulated enough miles to justify an oil change???

I'm still at 600 miles. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Its going to be a bit slow in seeing DIY'ers this time around since unlike the Cayman/Boxster as we knew it attracted more of that crowd. 718 attracts more of the take it to the dealer crowd - not that there's anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
4 months and I'm still at 280 miles.... I just don't feel like I want it to get dirty..lol
I know what you mean and having paint protection and other types of protection done to trim, tires, etc. is a good way to start. Then just follow that up with simple washes and you'll be in the clear for a long time to come.

Hopefully you have thought about that by now! Best thing for any owner of a new vehicle to be doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I have full front XPEL and applied rim protection. I live in the east coast and roads have salt everywhere. I'll wait till spring to drive it. In the meantime, it is under wraps inside the garage with the trickle charger connected...can't wait till spring

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ah that makes much more sense. I tend to forget the conditions outside which is why this stunned me so much. I apologize lol. Any reason for only doing the front in XPEL ?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes, I have full front XPEL and applied rim protection. I live in the east coast and roads have salt everywhere. I'll wait till spring to drive it. In the meantime, it is under wraps inside the garage with the trickle charger connected...can't wait till spring
What kind of protection is available for rims, and what doe it cost? Although, if the cost is similar to paint protection, I probably
don't want to know. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I really don't think there's much more that you can do for rims other than applying some sort of sealant to it to "decrease" the amount of brake dust that can stick to it and what not. There are options out there that make cleaning wheels much much easier but I don't think there's any wrap of the sort.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yes, that's all I have, a rim wax... makes it easier to wash off the brake dust
Ok. I thought that you were referring to some special coating. Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back to the original topic. I certainly don't want to get anyone dirty, but after many years at Ford, Honda, Mazda, and Porsche dealers I learned if you can DIY and you want it done right, DIY! I guess I will be the first one to try a DIY oil change on a 718. I will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Gallatin

·
Registered
320 Posts
Back to the original topic. I certainly don't want to get anyone dirty, but after many years at Ford, Honda, Mazda, and Porsche dealers I learned if you can DIY and you want it done right, DIY! I guess I will be the first one to try a DIY oil change on a 718. I will let you know how it goes.
I have done our oil changes for the past 20 years. If it's possible to perform a DIY on my 718 Cayman I plan to do it myself.

Please post as many details as you can. Photos would be nice, too. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I can't imagine it being that far off from a standard oil change. Just not certain where everything is located until I get under one. If you could take photos of the locations for the drain plug and the oil filter, that would be great :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I discovered this in the "Service Information 2017 Technic Introduction 718 Boxster/S (982)".

Attachments

Reactions: X2Board

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
agent 86,

That helps. I will look for the oil filter and take photos once I get under the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
agent 86,

That helps. I will look for the oil filter and take photos once I get under the car. Thanks.
Great. I look forward to your write-up. No pressure. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Base on what I have been able to find out so far, the 718 oil filter is different than the oil filter on my 2012 987.2. The O-Ring and drain plug ring appear to the same as the 987.2, however, the oil filter housing is different. I will delay an oil/filter change until I find an oil housing tool that will remove the housing without damage.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts