Porsche 718 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Even an experienced technician at the dealer had difficulty removing and replacing the oil filter on my 718.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Given the number of times I've taken my bicycle to the shop after I tried to "adjust" or "fix" something...I have zero confidence in my ability to do this kind of stuff. I'll leave it to the experts. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I changed the oil and filter many times on my 2012 (987.2) but the 718 is significantly more difficult.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This conversation has been very informative. I can't see many doing any DIY's on this car without an investment in a lift, a computer,and a lot of special tools. Of course I am sure the majority of us knew this going in. I am no auto mechanic, but I could change the points and plugs on my old Chevys with V8s ( circa 1970s ). Today is a different world. High torque, high horsepower, high mpg potential, and long service intervals( all with the help of very complicated computer programs). Because of the short oil and tuneup intervals on old cars, and the simplicity of doing them, DIYs made sense. But today, I wouldn't know where to start.
I have owned, 2 912s, a 914 2.0, two 944s, 2 911 Carreras, and a '90 964. As time progressed, each new model became more difficult to work on than the previous.
But, the good news in all of this, the performance and quality of the new cars is far superior to any of my old cars. And every time I get into the car and start the engine, I can't wait to get on the road.
Sorry for the digression.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you folks that are saying the oil change is difficult have the PDK transmission? I hear there is a trans cooler near the oil filter that makes it tough to get to. I have the manual and have changed oil 3 times now. Not really that hard, at least with the manual transmission. Specifically what problems are you experiencing with the manual transmission models? Maybe I can shed some light on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well for instance as I had posted here last November, my well-regarded indie was stymied and told me he “had to remove the axle” to get the filter out on my PDK Boxster.

Now maybe he was hyperbolicly referring to the amount of effort required, but based on subsequent posts it doesn’t sound far off the mark.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Are you folks that are saying the oil change is difficult have the PDK transmission? I hear there is a trans cooler near the oil filter that makes it tough to get to. I have the manual and have changed oil 3 times now. Not really that hard, at least with the manual transmission. Specifically what problems are you experiencing with the manual transmission models? Maybe I can shed some light on it.
My 718 Boxster has a manual transmission. You must be very talented mechanically. First, removing and replacing the engine underbody panel is tedious. That was not necessary on the 987.2. Then removing and replacing the oil filter cover is at best, tedious. I watched the dealer technician do the job and spoke with him about why the process was taking so long. His response was the Porsche recommended removal tool did not work so he had to find and alternative tool to remove the oil filter cover. Of course he had the car on a lift and was standing up which made the job a lot easier than laying on your back with jack stands. I commend your ability to complete this process without assistance and I am glad someone has been able to perform the oil filter change on the 718.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Make sure you put film on the spoiler too. That will keep you from getting fine scratches if anyone doesn't fully lift anything coming out of the trunk.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I also successfully changed the oil in my manual transmission 718CS. As I wrote in an earlier post, IMO, it's a 6 out of 10 for someone with basic mechanical skills.

Floor jack, 4 Jack stands, 76mm filter wrench and a couple hex bits. 1 hour drain. 45 minutes everything else (maybe a little longer the first time).

Removing and reinstalling the pan is the most time consuming part.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also successfully changed the oil in my manual transmission 718CS. As I wrote in an earlier post, IMO, it's a 6 out of 10 for someone with basic mechanical skills.

Floor jack, 4 Jack stands, 76mm filter wrench and a couple hex bits. 1 hour drain. 45 minutes everything else (maybe a little longer the first time).

Removing and reinstalling the pan is the most time consuming part.
Pretty much agree with Agent 86. The under-body pan is not technically difficult, just a bit cumbersome and slow. I might try a video next time I do it. Agent 86: Any info or pics on changing trans oil? What oil brand and weight did you use?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Pretty much agree with Agent 86. The under-body pan is not technically difficult, just a bit cumbersome and slow. I might try a video next time I do it. Agent 86: Any info or pics on changing trans oil? What oil brand and weight did you use?

@JCJ - No, I have not looked into changing the trans oil. I'm not even sure what the recommended interval. It's March, and we are still in winter mode in MD. Once the weather gets a bit milder I will explore additional user maintenance possibilities.

Engine oil was Mobil 1 0W-40.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Excellent help and thanks so much.

Still not clear on one thing. Is there an issue with the sensor rod. Some say yes; some no. I saw photos on one thread of how the rod moves on lifts, but I can’t tell the significance or purpose. A brief primer on the sensor rod would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi. Excellent help and thanks so much.

Still not clear on one thing. Is there an issue with the sensor rod. Some say yes; some no. I saw photos on one thread of how the rod moves on lifts, but I can’t tell the significance or purpose. A brief primer on the sensor rod would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the rod you are talking about is there to control headlight leveling as the suspension compresses.

With manual transmission cars there is no interference issue.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This oil change looks like a pain. Done them on countless cars including 2 Porsche’s. Paid $145 today at local German specialty shop. They were saying how tough it is to get at the filter on the lift. Parts would be around $75, so I was happy to pay $70 in labor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just changed the oil. Cayman with a manual transmission. Longest part is getting the car up in the air and taking the cover off the bottom. Filter came off no problem. Easy to get out to swap the element.

How do I reset the maintenance interval?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently came across an excellent video by a guy ("Raf") in SoCal who shows the whole oil change process in great detail, including the bottom cover removal and re-installation. He has a manual 718 GTS that he tracks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With the 718 at 2,900 miles, I changed the oil yesterday. It was a hassle, due to the splash shield and its 16 fasteners, and the filter housing that is very hard to access. This is nowhere near as straightforward as the 981 models.

The old oil was very dark, but smelled fine. There were filings at the bottom of the filter housing; I guess this is normal for a new engine. Also with 6 quarts out and 6 back in (Mobil-1 0w-40), not much was burned, as can happen with new Porsche engines. I really miss not having a physical dipstick, as the electronic one is a real nuisance.

The homemade ramp worked okay, but these models are clearly not designed for DIY maintenance without an overhead lift.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmjuSG_rD5gYjPgFWidBEt_Q4BGOzg

·
Registered
303 Posts
With the 718 at 2,900 miles, I changed the oil yesterday. It was a hassle, due to the splash shield and its 16 fasteners, and the filter housing that is very hard to access. This is nowhere near as straightforward as the 981 models.

The old oil was very dark, but smelled fine. There were filings at the bottom of the filter housing; I guess this is normal for a new engine. Also with 6 quarts out and 6 back in (Mobil-1 0w-40), not much was burned, as can happen with new Porsche engines. I really miss not having a physical dipstick, as the electronic one is a real nuisance.

The homemade ramp worked okay, but these models are clearly not designed for DIY maintenance without an overhead lift.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmjuSG_rD5gYjPgFWidBEt_Q4BGOzg
Nice ramps!!! Yeah, the bottom tray was the biggest challenge for me. Having the rear wheel in place would almost certainly make removing/replacing the filter harder. I had the wheel removed. I'm about 4 months away from my next oil change. Experience make all the difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a base 718 with PDK. How do you adjust the headlight leveler to enable removal of the oil filter and housing? I have looked in this forum but can’t find the detail on how to move the leveler out of the way. Thanks to anyone who can provide this detail. When I change my oil, I put the rear end on race ramps to elevate the rear of the car.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts