Porsche 718 Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too purchased this same scanner. Has anyone had success on downloading updates? I can't seem to get the scan tool to talk with the web site. Are there any updates available? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I too purchased this same scanner. Has anyone had success on downloading updates? I can't seem to get the scan tool to talk with the web site. Are there any updates available? Does anyone know?
I may be wrong but I thought that you remove the memory chip and install the update to that.
I don't think the scan tool communicates directly or via PC.

I also noticed that the website doesn't list version & update info, that I could find.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
So I finally did my first oil change on my 718 cayman GTS with PDK. It was a total bear. Just no room to work.

I do quite a few oil changes and as a point of reference I can do my 987 Boxster S oil in about 30 mins. I think this took me four hours...I lost track of time and was pretty frustrated.

I thought having a four post lift would make life easy....well not really.

First, taking the bottom tray off is pretty straightforward. I like the design and the fasteners are well made so when you put it back it goes together well. I've dealt with bottom panels that seem like they were meant to be one time use only with a bunch of crappy plastic fasteners and those really suck. This one wasn't bad at all.

I was hoping to avoid taking the headlight level sensor off. I had seen a number of write-ups and I though maybe if there was weight on the rear tires that the sensor wouldn't be in the way. No such luck.

Definitely could have used a LONG 10MM wrench for the top bolt ( as mentioned above) . I only had a standard length handle and it was brutal trying to get to the bolt head. A long ratchet wrench would have been even better. I did use a standard ratchet box end but it was troublesome. I could not get a ratchet with a standard socket to fit.

I got the filter off pretty easily with a 74MM filter tool and a ratchet handle ( no extensions) I used a hose with a 5/8" inner diameter to connect to the drip cup. Worked fine.

Here was the killer. I couldn't get the filter housing out without jacking up the car. Sure it was on a 4 post lift but I needed to get the weight off the rear left wheel so the axle would angle down and let the filter housing pass through. There I was with a jack on my lift taking the load off the wheel. That was not on my list of things to do.

Getting the new filter and housing back on was tough because there was very little room for my torque wrench. The handle was just too long to work easily. I eventually was able to hold the 74MM filter wrench with one hand and maneuver my torque wrench with the other but it was tedious.

Finally when I was trying to put the headlight sensor back on, the top bolt fell out and it took me 20 minutes to find it. It didn't fall on the floor but got stuck somewhere in the chassis and it was tough to locate. I think it was stuck behind a piece of heat shield.

Now I am off to take a nap and pretend this never happened.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
64 Posts
Must be the weekend for it, completed my first oil and filter change on my 718S , on jack stands none the less, and everything everyone says is true, but next time could knock it over in under an hour, frustrating yep, but local Porsche centre wanted $1000, so a $40 genuine oil filter and half price mobil one, means I’m $900 better off, car is out of factory warranty. This week doing front rotors and pads and brake fluid flush, total cost to me $750, price from PC was $2250. My 986 and 987 were so easy to work on compared to this thing though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Must be the weekend for it, completed my first oil and filter change on my 718S , on jack stands none the less, and everything everyone says is true, but next time could knock it over in under an hour, frustrating yep, but local Porsche centre wanted $1000, so a $40 genuine oil filter and half price mobil one, means I’m $900 better off, car is out of factory warranty. This week doing front rotors and pads and brake fluid flush, total cost to me $750, price from PC was $2250. My 986 and 987 were so easy to work on compared to this thing though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
It’s a shame Porsche made this so difficult, particularly the oil filter placement. I’m used to doing my own oil changes (on previous bimmers) but don’t think i will attempt it on the 718.

·
Registered
197 Posts
a $40 genuine oil filter and half price mobil one
I got the genuine Hengst filter for $9 online and $23 per 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at walmart.

I'm not sure what everyone's gripe is. I found the filter change to be a little annoying but not difficult and it certainly didn't take very long. I did do my research first, though. And i have a manual car so i don't have to remove 1 bolt for the headlight sensor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got the genuine Hengst filter for $9 online and $23 per 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at walmart.

I'm not sure what everyone's gripe is. I found the filter change to be a little annoying but not difficult and it certainly didn't take very long. I did do my research first, though. And i have a manual car so i don't have to remove 1 bolt for the headlight sensor.
Do you have any tips/tricks which helped you out? I have a manual too which sounds like it’s a little easier.

·
Registered
197 Posts
@gatorfast get the correct oil filter cap socket. Get the 5/8" hose to plug into the bottom of the drip tray under the oil filter so it doesn't drip all over the car. get the carsoft gizmo to reset the oil change interval in the computer. everything else is straightforward.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My gripe is I have black and blues on my forearm from doing an oil change because of the limited space and extra steps required. Never had that after changing oil on any car before.

With my other cars, sometimes I would just take them around the corner to my local service station to change the oil if I was too lazy to do it myself. Typically charged me .5-.45 mins labor. Not sure I would trust him with this procedure since he’s not a Porsche specific shop.

·
Registered
64 Posts

In Australia there are no after market options for oil filters and ordering online is dearer when you add in international parcel postage, so genuine porsche it is. Same goes for so many 718 parts, there is very very little options...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Plus my iCarsoft Por2 device was able to reset oil change message and set interval to May 2021. Worthy investment...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
And i have a manual car so i don't have to remove 1 bolt for the headlight sensor.
Guess I'm a bit dense and/or don't have too much car maintenance experience with Porsche. Nonetheless, much has been written about diy oil change and there seems to be a bit of contradicting information, at least to me. So, is the headlight sensor arm on all PDK cars or only cars with PDLS. Obviously, I don't know its function so anyone care to educate me? Thanks much.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts