Porsche 718 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
155 Posts
I’m in Australia was an issue with my 718S being in the way, doable sure but difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m in Australia was an issue with my 718S being in the way, doable sure but difficult

Hi dkmajm,

Does your S have the active suspension ? My Cayman is base and no active suspension. The headlight rod thingy is there, but not in the way on my car, but I'm wondering if it is dependent on the suspension you have ? The pictures of the US cars show that it is a problem. Lots to learn about this car !

·
Registered
155 Posts
No active suspension, so send me a photo of yours (if you can)

·
Registered
23 Posts
No active suspension, so send me a photo of yours (if you can)

I won't have it up on the lift again till I do the 3000k oil change...but I'll certainly take some pics, as it has me intrigued as to why some have a problem
and I don't appear to. Did you have to disconnect the headlight leveller rod ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Where abouts in Australia are you based?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice.... goldy here

·
Registered
966 Posts
My wife is a Tasmanian Devil! No, not really. She's beautiful and kind, just opposite the real deal. She lived in Hobart as a 12-year-old because her dad had a Fulbright to work at the University of Tasmania for a year back in the early 1960s. It did leave a long-lasting and wonderful impression on the whole family though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife is a Tasmanian Devil! No, not really. She's beautiful and kind, just opposite the real deal. She lived in Hobart as a 12-year-old because her dad had a Fulbright to work at the University of Tasmania for a year back in the early 1960s. It did leave a long-lasting and wonderful impression on the whole family though.
OK..that makes you an honorary Aussie !

·
Registered
712 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading here that it depends on whether the wheels are suspended or grounded. Suspended equals no issues with arm and grounded does, I think.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Isnt it the opposite lol, if on jack stands where wheels “dangle” that’s the issue. But on a drive in lift the wheels are like they are in the road and the levelling yesterday isn’t in the way. When I do the oil filter on jack stands I also jack up the rear wheels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Isnt it the opposite lol, if on jack stands where wheels “dangle” that’s the issue. But on a drive in lift the wheels are like they are in the road and the levelling yesterday isn’t in the way. When I do the oil filter on jack stands I also jack up the rear wheels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Boy...this can get confusing. When I had my car up on my Quickjack, the wheels are dangling, but the headlight adjusting rod was not blocking access to the oil filter housing. After reading some of the info on here, I was going to jack up the left rear whilst the car was on the Quickjack, if the rod was in the way, but so far, that does not appear to be required...at least on my car. Having the wheels dangle also helps a bit, as the drive axle is below the horizontal, giving you a bit more room. I'm still trying to fathom why I don't have problem, but others have, going on some of the pictures I have seen that have been put up on the forum. I've still got some time before I'll be doing my end of run in oil change, but I'm sure it will be an interesting experience !

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wheels up or dangling!!...it’s all bloody hard doing on jack stands with FA room to manoeuvre.

On another topic I’ve bought the required tools to do a spark plug change, can’t find much info on the procedure or what plugs the 2.5T takes....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wheels up or dangling!!...it’s all bloody hard doing on jack stands with FA room to manoeuvre.

On another topic I’ve bought the required tools to do a spark plug change, can’t find much info on the procedure or what plugs the 2.5T takes....

Done the same...have a 14mm swivel spark plug socket coming from China ( quality unknown at this stage :) ) for $15, as the Snap On one was
$130 or so ! May end up with the Snap on if the Chinese socket is of poor quality. The Base Cayman takes Bosch pugs that are hard to source locally
so far...simply cannot find any. The 2.5 engine takes NGK, but unsure of the part number. I'm sticking with what Porsche suggests unless I get other
info . Yep...my Quickjack setup is great, but they are not cheap...but they also take up space when not in use...Oh for a 4 point hoist when I win Lotto !

·
Registered
155 Posts
My spark plug tools are in China quality is great! I will probably just visit Porsche centre here and buy the factory originals but won’t until I find a decent tutorial

·
Registered
23 Posts
My spark plug tools are in China quality is great! I will probably just visit Porsche centre here and buy the factory originals but won’t until I find a decent tutorial

Thanks for the info re the Chinese socket...hopefully mine will be OK as well.

From what I have read, the plug change is not that much more difficult than the oil change.

Rear wheels removed makes it much easier, and you have to remove a heatshield to get to the front LHS plug from memory, but all doable according to the write up I
read on this Forum I think...from memory. After reading it, I'd be happy to have a go, but you have to have a swivel, 14mm thin walled socket to get the plugs out, and have
to be careful inserting the new plug, avoiding hitting the outer electrode on the casting in the head as you insert it ( accidentally closing up the gap ). I won't be doing
mine for yonks obviously, but fully intend to when the time comes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Done the same...have a 14mm swivel spark plug socket coming from China ( quality unknown at this stage :) ) for $15, as the Snap On one was
$130 or so ! May end up with the Snap on if the Chinese socket is of poor quality. The Base Cayman takes Bosch pugs that are hard to source locally
so far...simply cannot find any. The 2.5 engine takes NGK, but unsure of the part number. I'm sticking with what Porsche suggests unless I get other
info . Yep...my Quickjack setup is great, but they are not cheap...but they also take up space when not in use...Oh for a 4 point hoist when I win Lotto !
999 170 154 90 for the 2.0
9A7 905 606 00 for the 2.5
According to parts list dated: 19.07.2018

Reactions: Big Benny

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
$319 per pair, includes one set of pads. I highly recommend them and use them professionally in my mobile tire sales / installation business.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts