Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
911's have a lot to offer besides status, but if status is a top priority buy a 911. If you are looking for the best Porsche value and best Porsche handling then buy a 718. BTW car guys are passionate and biased and we all recognize that. Just think of Ford vs Chevrolet or even the previously cited Miata ND vs. prior versions.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I work with someone that has a Boxster that is circa 2005. All I heard from him day in and day out is how he would never buy a 718. He also laughed at my choice of a PDK. He was happy that the 718 was made as it made his car worth $1000 more. After a couple of weeks we arrived at work together and with my car all nice and warm I gave him the keys and told him to take it on a spin with me. We headed out to some of the famous jersey jug handles and on/off ramps. The smile on his face was palpable. When we got back he was speechless. He never actually had the good grace to tell me that he was wrong although he did grant me "that PDK is fast" but I guess I knew it a couple of days later when he was on the porsche configurator configuring a new Boxster.

We will see if it translates into a purchase but its been two weeks now and he has not said a thing about his Boxster.

I also agree that a large percentage of 911 owners want the badge and the garage candy and to them we likely seem as the poor half cousin freeloaders.
Those of us, and there are many, that graduated from miatas are likely most dissapointed by the lack of the wave as that was a standard with miata drivers who are generally just a nice group of people. Although I will admit that when I went to the ND I got less waves than when I was in a NC and NB. Almost as if the ND was no longer the purist miata even though like the 718, it was in many ways better and came closer to an NA then either the NB and NC. For those non miata readers I can translate LOL

That being said I took out a 911 when doing research and yes it was a really nice car but I would take a boxster/cayman any day of the week.
I agree with everything. Except without any hesitation I’d take a 911 GT3 over the 718. Not being snotty but some of the 911s are beautiful!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Although I will admit that when I went to the ND I got less waves than when I was in a NC and NB. Almost as if the ND was no longer the purist miata even though like the 718, it was in many ways better and came closer to an NA then either the NB and NC. For those non miata readers I can translate LOL
I speak N-chassis.

Your words are true😑.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don’t really care what they think. Any Ferrari owner could look down on any Porsche, and then a McLaren Senna owner could say Ferraris are too common. Then the Konigsegg owner...
And then there’s John Travolta, who flies and “parks” his own 737 next to his house.

It’s all relative...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Perhaps the perspective of someone who owns both a 911 and a 718 may be helpful. I own both a 911 Turbo S (991.2) and a 718 Boxster GTS. The truth is that I prefer driving the 718! It's simply more fun, and I love the sound of the PSE in Sport mode. Its acceleration can't hold a candle to the Turbo S, but it just feels so light on its feet and easy to throw around. To me, it isn't about the car you drive -- it's about whether you like driving it. If you like to drive, then, even if it's a ricer, more power to you!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Since everyone buying and driving a car has his/own unique reasons for their choice, the only answer to this question is yes, no, and everything in between. I have an immediate family member that is ultra successful and well into seven figures each year. He is impressed with himself beyond just disgusting and the material appearance of wealth and success appears to drive his life. He has both a Lamborghini and a 911 in his garage but, quoting him, “they only get driven on special occasions like going out to dinner on a Saturday night”. His body language etc. absolutely indicated he had no real regard or understanding of my new 718. On the other hand, I regularly go to the local Pancakes & Porsche breakfast every month. I have absolutely not ever felt the slightest bit of condescension because my 718 is one of a few among a large sea of 911s. However, there is a guy there with a local business catering to high end cars and he gives me strong vibes the more expensive a car is the more importance it takes on for him. He had my 718 when it was brand new and I am convinced my car sat in a corner of his shop as he gave priority the the Porsche’s that cost twice as much as mine dId. Me, having to do it all over again if money was no object? I again would buy a 718 because it provided me with exactly what I wanted for my daily driver; a high end but little rough around the edges manual transmission roadster. If I need a more refined car I get into my SUV.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thought I would throw my two cents in from a different perspective.

I think you can find such 'hierarchy' across all brands and not just automobiles. But it's all relative but do find it strange that someone who happens to drive a car that is higher on the pecking order finds and/or feels what they have is better. While cost of entry is again relative, I personally find it mind boggling when someone who paid a fraction for a much older car, say 911, compared to a new 718 that they feel a sense of superiority.

I have a Morgan 4/4 80th Anniversary which I cherish to no end. In the Morgan world the 4/4 is the 'entry' model of the 4 wheelers and you would be amazed on the snobbery that happens there. I recall attending my first Morgan meet and bumping into a chap who had a Gen 1 Aero 8 which was quite tattered and far from being well taken care of. First words out of his mouth was why I spec'd it as I did, how high maintenance the colour choices would be, why spend that much on an 'entry' model etc. The snobbery he laid on was unbelievable! It would have been equally so even if he had a brand spanking new Aero 8 but what really did my head in was he was slagging my car which in truth costs more than his and yet acted as he was king.

The following day I attended Cars and Coffee Liverpool and chatted up with a couple who wanted to know about my car, to sit in it, take pics with their son in it etc which I obliged. I later found out they were the owners of an absolutely stunning Jag E-Type which was the star of the show. Zero snobbery in those two and not once did they feel the need to one-up or drop the fact they were in such a magnificent piece of art.

You will find such people no matter what brand you look at. Brand and model snobs are not worth the time. ;) True car enthusiasts don't look at which is better but appreciate cars as a whole.

This is Oliver :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thought I would throw my two cents in from a different perspective.

I think you can find such 'hierarchy' across all brands and not just automobiles. But it's all relative but do find it strange that someone who happens to drive a car that is higher on the pecking order finds and/or feels what they have is better. While cost of entry is again relative, I personally find it mind boggling when someone who paid a fraction for a much older car, say 911, compared to a new 718 that they feel a sense of superiority.

I have a Morgan 4/4 80th Anniversary which I cherish to no end. In the Morgan world the 4/4 is the 'entry' model of the 4 wheelers and you would be amazed on the snobbery that happens there. I recall attending my first Morgan meet and bumping into a chap who had a Gen 1 Aero 8 which was quite tattered and far from being well taken care of. First words out of his mouth was why I spec'd it as I did, how high maintenance the colour choices would be, why spend that much on an 'entry' model etc. The snobbery he laid on was unbelievable! It would have been equally so even if he had a brand spanking new Aero 8 but what really did my head in was he was slagging my car which in truth costs more than his and yet acted as he was king.

The following day I attended Cars and Coffee Liverpool and chatted up with a couple who wanted to know about my car, to sit in it, take pics with their son in it etc which I obliged. I later found out they were the owners of an absolutely stunning Jag E-Type which was the star of the show. Zero snobbery in those two and not once did they feel the need to one-up or drop the fact they were in such a magnificent piece of art.

You will find such people no matter what brand you look at. Brand and model snobs are not worth the time. ;) True car enthusiasts don't look at which is better but appreciate cars as a whole.

View attachment 24717
Such a happy car... 😊😊😊😊

·
Registered
609 Posts
I later found out they were the owners of an absolutely stunning Jag E-Type which was the star of the show. Zero snobbery in those two and not once did they feel the need to one-up or drop the fact they were in such a magnificent piece of art.

View attachment 24717
Oliver is quite the thing. I had a roommate years ago (okay, decades ago) who had a +4 in BRG. It was one of the cars which started me down the slippery slope of sports cars.

About that E-type owner, it's a lot easier for people to show appreciation of other people's stuff when you are secure in your appreciation of your own. Chances are, that guy knew what he had regardless of whether he's\d just won something, but winning reinforces it. That other guy with the ratty Aero-8? Deep inside he was insecure about his car, probably with good reason, but he wouldn't want to face that fact.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A Bentley Bentayga surely?...
I don't even wish for that!!

I want luxury, latest technology bells and whistles, and, most of all, a car that is fun to drive. I certainly understand how a Bentley/Rolls Royce product appeals to a lot of people but I see it as an even more boring machine than a Lexus. I just cant imagine how a Bentley can put that great feeling smile on my face as my 718 so reliably and consistently does on these gorgeous Florida fall days with the top down and in sport mode.

BTW, my SUV is a 2016 X3 and will probably be replaced with a Macan in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh for sure, there's badge snobbery and badge snobbery. Marque and model. I wouldn't sweat the lack of response from the other driver - you never know what's going on in that other car, or the drivers life.

On the flip side, in my ongoing quest to secure a Porsche I first test drove a highly optioned 992S in a bid to convince myself it was impractical, too lively, too small, too noisy etc as a DD. It wasn't at all - but having now spent some time in a base Cayman 718 I also find the 992 a car that flatters the average driver (which I am), and is more of a GT than a true sports car. That's not me blowing smoke up 718 owners arses, but for me the 718 demands more driver respect - rewards more when pushed and overall has more 'essence' of Porsche than I found in the 992 (and I loved that!).

Can't wait to decide the next step, at this point 718GTS with few key options and in Gentian blue is the route I'm most likely going down.

If ever you get someone dissing the car, it's pure jealousy - it's a Porsche after all. Enjoy, great forum, glad I found it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I certainly understand how a Bentley/Rolls Royce product appeals to a lot of people but I see it as an even more boring machine than a Lexus. I just cant imagine how a Bentley can put that great feeling smile on my face as my 718 so reliably and consistently does on these gorgeous Florida fall days with the top down and in sport mode.
I'm not just saying this as an employee of Bentley - I do encourage you to drive one. I've been an owner or VAG products decades before I started working for Group and to be bluntly honest, I went into the world of Bentley with the idea that it would be a glorified VW. Well, as some of my younger contemporaries would say, OMG... In short, mind-boggling on all levels. Luxury, comfort, power, capabilities etc. And after seeing how it's all built, it's not a glorified VW and far from. It's a whole other level. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh for sure, there's badge snobbery and badge snobbery. Marque and model. I wouldn't sweat the lack of response from the other driver - you never know what's going on in that other car, or the drivers life.

On the flip side, in my ongoing quest to secure a Porsche I first test drove a highly optioned 992S in a bid to convince myself it was impractical, too lively, too small, too noisy etc as a DD. It wasn't at all - but having now spent some time in a base Cayman 718 I also find the 992 a car that flatters the average driver (which I am), and is more of a GT than a true sports car. That's not me blowing smoke up 718 owners arses, but for me the 718 demands more driver respect - rewards more when pushed and overall has more 'essence' of Porsche than I found in the 992 (and I loved that!).

Can't wait to decide the next step, at this point 718GTS with few key options and in Gentian blue is the route I'm most likely going down.

If ever you get someone dissing the car, it's pure jealousy - it's a Porsche after all. Enjoy, great forum, glad I found it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm not just saying this as an employee of Bentley - I do encourage you to drive one. I've been an owner or VAG products decades before I started working for Group and to be bluntly honest, I went into the world of Bentley with the idea that it would be a glorified VW. Well, as some of my younger contemporaries would say, OMG... In short, mind-boggling on all levels. Luxury, comfort, power, capabilities etc. And after seeing how it's all built, it's not a glorified VW and far from. It's a whole other level. :)
Thank you for a respectful response to my opinion.

It comes down to individual tastes and needs. It would be reasonable and logical to argue the raison d'etre for purchasing a car is transportation. If that were truly the case, it probably does not get better than a Bentley (if affordable) and I would almost certainly only own a single car, an upscale SUV. However, I grew up in the car culture of the 50s/60s where the car itself was infinitely more important than the transportation and utility it provided. I would not argue the need for transportation is essential, but clearly, in my mind, the machinery and the experience of using that machinery easily surmounts the need for transportation component. When driving and hearing the engine, feeling the vibration of the car in the seat of my pants, hearing the exhaust, a quick downshift with lots of throttle, all provide a dopamine release. Sometimes I even visualize in my head as I drive the major parts in the engine moving and working together. A big uxury vehicle like a Bentley goes to very successful heroics to insulate one from this experience but this is not what I want. Until I was 43 (when I got married), with one very brief regrettable exception with a Buick, I always only had a single two seat manual transmission vehicle (Opel GT, Datsun 260/280/300Zs, Miata RX-7, etc.) even though these cars did not begin to have the practicality of affordable to me bigger more luxurious cars. My point is, big luxury vehicles provide a great transportation solution in a very well insulated cocoon isolating the passenger/driver from the world but I would detest having one as my daily driver.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts