Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
What parts would the 912 share with them?
The 356 engine, originally derived from the VW powerplant of the day.

But again, just a guess as to what he may have meant by that list.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
As far as my feeble memory serves me, back in 65 or thereabouts, when the 912 was introduced, VW was only making the Beetle, the Karmann Ghia and the 411/Squareback (disregarding the VW bus/camper). What parts would the 912 share with them? The Audi was struggling to find a niche for itself, I don't think that it would be mature enough to share parts with anyone.

The story was definitely different with the 914/4, 914/6 a sadly overlooked Porsche, much maligned by ignorants, much like the 718 and the 'oh the NA6 wail' fanatics...
@jimmuller @roundtail

I never said that an outside entity helped design the 912, or those other models -- to which I've added the 356 since it was a direct developmental outgrowth from post-WWII VW.
I said that outside entities were involved -- which is to say: involved to the point where those entities have to be considered developmental partners.
The 912 is borderline because what distinguishes it is the use of the 356's flat-4 -- and later, during its one-year revival as the 912E, an actual VW flat-4. It is, admittedly, a stretch with the pre-1970 912, but not with the 912E.

Reactions: roundtail

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Some of what I know is from personal experience and some is from books such as 70 Years Of Porsche written by someone whose name escapes me now. My 912 was a '63, its first year. Yes the engine was derived from the 356 which was itself derived from the original VW which Ferdinand P designed. Ferdinand Jr, called Ferry, developed the 356 from available parts as a way to keep the company running when WWII ended. Prior to that they had been a general engineering and design company.

The 914 was intended to be a VW but VW backed out at the last minute. Porsche design contracts always gave them the right to use whatever engineering they did for someone else, so they decided to sell the 914 themselves as a Porsche. So it safe to say some of the design was dictated by VW.

Prior to the 911 all commercial Porsche engines werw 4-cyl, and some people didn't like either the 6-cyl or the new body shape.

Reactions: Viffermike

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
The 'suitcase engine'? Used in the 411/Squareback and (possibly?) the VW transporter/camper? What an exalted company!
Yup. It was a derivation of the Type 4 used in the 914, but with fuel injection.

I secretly lust after 914s because of the Type 4 in it -- the same basic engine that was in my second car, a '74 Beetle (NOT a Super Beetle; mine had a flat windshield). During the course of the nearly five years I owned that car, I upgraded/customized/reconditioned/rebuilt nearly everything on it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Aaah, I had more trouble with the suitcase engine in the Squareback, than with any other car before or since. The cause was the 'brain' (that's what they called the ECU those days). My wife bought the car for herself, just before we got together. We were dirt poor students in Berkeley those days. Weeks later, we got the bad news, the 'brain' was sick. The VW needed a brain transplant... $500 was a lot of money for us then (our rent was $425), we put our savings together and paid it.

Then paid to change the injectors. I found out later that for the cost of the 'brain' and the injectors I could have done the conversion to carburators, which was very popular then for the 68 Squareback.

Alas!... it seemed that it had harness/connectivity problems, which, when manifesting themselves the car would shut down a bank of cylinders (2/4).

Funny thing was that we eventually sold it to a classmate who was expecting triplets (to add to their two children) and wanted the Squareback, disregarding my warnings. The car worked like a dream around Berkeley for the two years we were around!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like this is new..... 914's, 924's,944's,968's,928's,etc....are not 911's...and there has always been that vibe. It is not a serious thing simply 'a' thing. Who cares?
I can out snoot a water cooled 911 owner anyway....it is not Luftgekult but a wasserpumpen and therefore not a 'real' 911 anyway... :)

Then you get into long hoods vs. short hoods....impact vs non impact.... fun for everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that besides the Macan, the 718 is the cheapest car in the Porsche lineup. So my question is that for owners with much more expensive Porsches, do they respect 718 ownership (in general) or do they think our cars are inferior in some way? I passed a couple of very nice 911s in the last week, gave a friendly wave and got nothing in return. Just curious...
love mine 718gts 2018 with Fabspeed exexhaust Cobb tuning and dyno tuned . over 415 horse power and mid engine some 911 will have a hard time keeping up . plus its really a beautiful car

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post -
The 718 is a lot of bang for the buck compared to a similar late model 911 just based on price. I haven't driven a recent 911 but I know they're fantastic cars and hope to own one someday soon.

My first sporty car was a 987 Boxster S years ago - great car. Eventually, I moved on to several BMWs including recently an F82 M4.

This past summer, I had an opportunity to drive a 718 CS while shopping BMW M2 and M4. I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE 718. I shopped for a couple months and found a 2018 Cayman GTS with 3,000 miles on it. $102k sticker...I bought it for $72k CPO. I don't care about the waves from 911 guys. The 718 GTS is a ton of fun and gives me a woody.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In your experience driving a 718, do the NA6 drivers disdain to wave at the awful sounding 4T drivers?

There’s a couple of NA6 drivers who sometimes pass me on my morning commute on the right (wrong) side of me while I’m doing the speed limit in the center of three lanes. They each give me a friendly wave when they do. They probably feel bad for me because my 718 sounds so gross.

I encounter a lot of Cayenne drivers. They hardly ever wave to me. Although there’s this one local PCA club racer who tows his 911SC race car with a diesel Cayenne. He is friendly to me. But he probably ain’t quite right because he also owns and often drives a 914.

I encounter a lot of Macan drivers. They never wave. Although I did ride along in a friends GTS in a PCA DE session once. That was a hoot. He is probably a Macan exception as he also has a 991 GTS he regularly takes to the track.

I see quite a few Panamera drivers. I don’t think any of them have ever waved at me. Although my wife has a girl friend that is a car nut and F1 fan. She’s nice. I am trying to convince her to do a DE in her Panamera.

I don’t see that many 911 drivers on the road here outside of PCA activities (where all the people are almost invariably nice). I have no substantial impression about their waving - I tend to think they mostly do not wave at me though. This one time a guy in a Miami Blue GT3 passed me (on the wrong side!). I was all ready to wave because Porschephile, but he didn’t even bother to look at me as he eased by me. No worries though - he’s driving around in some lame water cooled thing while unbeknownst to him I have the genuine article in my garage - a track prepped air cooled 911.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I work with someone that has a Boxster that is circa 2005. All I heard from him day in and day out is how he would never buy a 718. He also laughed at my choice of a PDK. He was happy that the 718 was made as it made his car worth $1000 more. After a couple of weeks we arrived at work together and with my car all nice and warm I gave him the keys and told him to take it on a spin with me. We headed out to some of the famous jersey jug handles and on/off ramps. The smile on his face was palpable. When we got back he was speechless. He never actually had the good grace to tell me that he was wrong although he did grant me "that PDK is fast" but I guess I knew it a couple of days later when he was on the porsche configurator configuring a new Boxster.

We will see if it translates into a purchase but its been two weeks now and he has not said a thing about his Boxster.

I also agree that a large percentage of 911 owners want the badge and the garage candy and to them we likely seem as the poor half cousin freeloaders.
Those of us, and there are many, that graduated from miatas are likely most dissapointed by the lack of the wave as that was a standard with miata drivers who are generally just a nice group of people. Although I will admit that when I went to the ND I got less waves than when I was in a NC and NB. Almost as if the ND was no longer the purist miata even though like the 718, it was in many ways better and came closer to an NA then either the NB and NC. For those non miata readers I can translate LOL

That being said I took out a 911 when doing research and yes it was a really nice car but I would take a boxster/cayman any day of the week.
Never a Miata owner but opened to it...I was shopping for a fun car and the Miata was highly rated. Unfortunately, I am a tall guy so went to dealer and can't fit so that was out. But, i am now happily the owner of a base Cayman :D. Definitely fun, (and definitely $$$$)!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
In your experience driving a 718, do the NA6 drivers disdain to wave at the awful sounding 4T drivers?
It really has nothing to do with the car, per se. At a recent PCA event, the guy who showed the most interest in my car was driving a 981. And on one sunny afternoon drive, a guy driving by in a 911 Cabrio honked his horn at me to get my attention so he could wave.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Never a Miata owner but opened to it...I was shopping for a fun car and the Miata was highly rated. Unfortunately, I am a tall guy so went to dealer and can't fit so that was out. But, i am now happily the owner of a base Cayman :D. Definitely fun, (and definitely $$$$)!!!
I understand that. Tried the RF and my head stuck out in the wind. My wife laughed about it. Happy though that we ended up in the Cayman.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I was also concidering the RF.
But finally decided If I did Id spend my time thinking of the Cayman.

Plus the mx5/miata doesnt have pop up headlights anymore anyway.
I was set to trade-in my Mustang GT for an RF. Then, on my 65th birthday, I woke up (literally and figuratively) and told my wife:

"I wanna buy a Porsche"

"Good"

said she,

"I hate the Mustang...Let's go test drive one on the weekend!"

She did... She never drove the darned thing, even as she prefers sticks to autos (like her BMW 328). Not even to relieve me in long trips. She hated the thing...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
My best experience with another Porsche owner ever:

I am driving in good spirits in the Cherohala Skyway on my way to NYC from Houston, when at a turn, a GT4 pops up in the opposite traffic. I flicked my high beams in greeting as he flashed by and went on.

A couple of miles later while we were stopped at a vista point for pictures, he pulled up (he reversed course and chased us up) to introduce himself and meet us. Very nice fellow, he drives up from Florida a week a year to drive the scenic drives (fast). He offered to drive together for a few miles, we took turns, I led for a few and I tried to keep up with him (barely) when he led. Then he pulled up at a vista stop, said our goodbyes and he reversed course to continue his trip the other way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had some 987 and 981 owners at the track comment or ask about how much torque it has. Clearly my little 2.0L made an impression :)
I ABSOLUTELY agree! When on the track and I can stick right on the bumper of 911s when navigating the turns, usually resulting in a grudgingly granted pass sign, then pull away heading out from those turns and only lose ground towards the end of the straights, it definitely generates surprising looks when debriefing after our session ends. (y)

·
Registered
177 Posts
It is very interesting, I was in various miatas for approximately 10 years. The miata forums really make one believe that you have the ultimate sports car and that the Porsche owners are paying 2-3 times the price of a Miata for a subpar experience. There is a lot to be said for the Miata and granted within the realms of local driving it is a fun car to throw around but it feels very slapped together and when on any road busier than a single lane country road felt very exposed. After a while the lack of power also got to me and it is also a tough DD. Even if you are not a speed demon there are times you need power and with a 0-60 of 7 seconds does not allow one much an escape.

At one point I went into a Z4 and the Z4 steering felt lifeless compared to the miata and even the 3 litre engine was only ehhh and so I went back to the miata as the thing felt like it was on rails. At that time I was still under the impression that the Porsche was beyond the reach of regular people.

I then decided to try the Porsche expecting a lot more power than the miata and Z4 but only mediocre handling and a price point that made no sense.

OMG was I wrong. The Boxster was every bit the handling of the miata and way way more and then with the added power which was mind numbing not only in the availability of the power but unlike a muscle car, how the power could be utilized to finess the car. The boxster also had the weight and heft to feel like a real car and yet I felt it was molded around me even more than the miata was. I felt even more at one with the Boxster than I ever did in the Miata.

Dont get me wrong, the miata at that price point is a work of genius but not withstanding that I could get his and her Miatas for the price of a stripper Boxster I would take the Boxster any day of the week. I dont think I could ever go back from a Porsche and I only regret that it took me 10 years to realize this.

At this rate I will reach my 50K mile warranty end long before my four years are up

Now my biggest nightmare is that the 718 will disappear in a post dystopic world of ride sharing and mass transport......aaaaaaaargh.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts