Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I owned a Miata some years ago...supercharged it...gave it some grunt...the older models had none unless you were 3/4's around the rpm dial.
The car had zero personality....a work a day car that felt banal..I have yet to drive a Japanese built car that gave me a feel of personality...some quirks that made it personal...something....anything....they seem robotic.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
It is very interesting, I was in various miatas for approximately 10 years. The miata forums really make one believe that you have the ultimate sports car and that the Porsche owners are paying 2-3 times the price of a Miata for a subpar experience...
I came from a 2017 Mazda MX-5 "Miata" ND with the 1.5L 131 PS engine when I got into my 718 Boxster.
The Miata sure was fun, but it was also more uncomfortable, a lot slower and and was lacking a lot in build quality and finish compared to the 718.
There is no contest in my mind that the 718 is a superior overall sportscar, but for drives on very narrow and very twisty backroads where horsepower does not really matter as much, I think the Miata actually has the edge.
For the price the Miata is a bargain, I paid around a quarter of the price for my Miata compared to my 718 Boxster, but I do not regret that I switched to the 718.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Miata and the 718 are different cars and great in their own ways. I do not agree with the comment that the Miata is slapped together. It's light weight is a joy on its own. I own both of them and swapping between them produces greater joy than driving either singly. Its that feeling of different but still awesome you get when swapping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve never seen/felt more dislike from fellow brand (Porsche) drivers towards the 718 compared to other makes from other brands I’ve driven.

On the flip side, I’ve been on spirited drives with drivers of other brands (most German and some supercars) and had a number of them come up to me afterwards, throwing praise and telling me how nice the GTS sounds or how fast it is.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I owned a Miata some years ago...supercharged it...gave it some grunt...the older models had none unless you were 3/4's around the rpm dial.
The car had zero personality....a work a day car that felt banal..I have yet to drive a Japanese built car that gave me a feel of personality...some quirks that made it personal...something....anything....they seem robotic.
Someday, you should own a Subaru performance car -- even the SVX (Anyone remember those?). Personality for DAYS.

Other Japanese performance cars with gobs of personality:
  • Any first-gen Mazda RX-7 (SA/FB) and, to a lesser extent, the last-gen FC
  • First-gen Acura NS-X
  • First-gen Toyota MR2
  • Mitsubishi Starion
  • Datsun 240/260/280z (not to mention the 2000GT that preceded it)
  • Mitsubishi 3000GT (and its Dodge counterpart, the Stealth)
  • Fourth-gen Toyota Supra
  • Nissan Sentra SE-R
  • Isuzu Impulse (not an out-and-out performance car, but ahead of its time in some significant ways)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Someday, you should own a Subaru performance car -- even the SVX (Anyone remember those?). Personality for DAYS.

Other Japanese performance cars with gobs of personality:
  • Any first-gen Mazda RX-7 (SA/FB) and, to a lesser extent, the last-gen FC
  • First-gen Acura NS-X
  • First-gen Toyota MR2
  • Mitsubishi Starion
  • Datsun 240/260/280z (not to mention the 2000GT that preceded it)
  • Mitsubishi 3000GT (and its Dodge counterpart, the Stealth)
  • Fourth-gen Toyota Supra
  • Nissan Sentra SE-R
  • Isuzu Impulse (not an out-and-out performance car, but ahead of its time in some significant ways)
Honorable mention: mid-80's Honda CRX-Si. The most fun you could have with 90 hp, a car that seemed driver-focused the minute you sat down...and drove like it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Your CRx's and such are johnny-come-lately cars. The the original Datsun 510 2-door sedan with Mulholland suspension. Now that was a slick machine. I think mine was a 1970 but I might mis-under-remember it. Of course it (and several other cars such as the TR6) had the same semi-trailing-arm rear suspension as the 911 back then. Your could feel the effect of camber changes as you went around bends, and heaven forbid you backed off the gas in the middle of tight turn. At least you didn't have the 911's engine weight behind you ready to swing around on a moment's notice.

Reactions: Steve48

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I "hear" more crap from none Porsche owners. "Oh it's just a poor man's Porsche", "Oh it's really just a subaru" blah blah blah.
It's actually more like 'really just a 356'. Or, you know, the car that killed James Dean?

Mention that. It'll shut 'em up. Trust me.

But if that doesn't work, try either of these:
  • Porsche first used a flat-4 in 1948. Subaru first used a flat-4 in 1965. Do the math.
  • Sure, Porsche grew out of Volkswagen. You do know that the first Subarus were ground-up replicas of Peugeots, including the engine, right?

At that point, you'll know they have no clue, so ignore them -- because they're already ignorant themselves.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why would anybody care? Regardless of what sports car (scratch that, just what car in general) you drive there will always be somebody to belittle it, make fun of you, question your manhood, your motives, your maturity, etc. Smile at them and then drive away at blistering high velocity with the wind in your hair. Ultimately owning a car you love is the best revenge; don't let anyone spoil it for you. I don't.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Do Porsche owners look down on the Cayman? Of course............ that's what Porsche owners do best............. look down on others.

Even Cayman owners look down on on a Cayman. They can't help it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive been a porsche owner for all of 3 months and went to a PCA meetup/rally a few weeks ago. I was wondering in advance about this same thing but ultimately said to myself if there's snobbery i'll leave and its no big deal. There were about 100 people participating in total and I didn't get an ounce of judgment or snobbery. Not from the guys in the Turbo S's or the guys in the $400k vintage grails. In fact just about everyone I met asked me to show them my car and walked over to look at and gawked and complimented it. I'm going to my second event on Saturday and really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
@Miami718 - I've had the same experience with the Longhorn (San Antonio/New Braunfels) Region PCA group. No judgement. No snobbery. Just warm and enthusiastic car folks (of all ages) who appreciate sports cars, regardless of model, year, condition, value, or pedigree.

·
Registered
363 Posts
At the time with only having the car for 5 months(last October) 4 of those months just sitting in the garage over winter but when i finally got to enjoy the car i remember browsing the forum here and seeing the olders discussions on 911 owners and how they felt about the Cayman/Boxster platforms and some of the negativity that came with it. I was curious as i had no idea this was "a thing" in the Porsche community but never first hand experience it. with that in mind i could only imagine how Ferrari and Lambo owners must feel the same way. but to my surprise i bumped into a gentleman in this Lambo and he gave me a thumbs up as i pulled into the gas station. he even came up to me and talked to me for a bit and praised how well the Cayman is one of the best track cars to use. he tracks his lambo and he said the Lambo couldn't even touch what the Cayman can do on the track. i was very shocked to hear all this coming from him. very humble and kind. just wanted to share the experience

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drove an aventador for three days in Houston two years ago and it draws more attention than you can imagine by its wild look and roaring sound but it does not give the same confidence in engineering as the 718.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
50 Posts
I know that besides the Macan, the 718 is the cheapest car in the Porsche lineup. So my question is that for owners with much more expensive Porsches, do they respect 718 ownership (in general) or do they think our cars are inferior in some way? I passed a couple of very nice 911s in the last week, gave a friendly wave and got nothing in return. Just curious...
i'll answer this way....
when i first purchased my ferrari, i felt sorta inferior as she was a 328 and the cheapest model at the time.
then as i gained knowledge, i discovered the "dino" technically was shunned by ferrari and did not want his cavillino badge
on the car's nose. i even remember seeing one in the early '70's with a fiat badge!! what a slap!

today most dinos worth owning command prices far in excess of a nice 328.

so....."you pays your monies and you takes your chances!"

actually the first ferrari i ever drove was a 1995 355. the collector-owner was interested in buying my 1974 bmw 2002
for his collection. while viewing his collection, he hands me the keys to his 355 and says "here take her for a ride".

never having met the man,, i was flabbergasted at his offer.

i never met a snobbish or uppety ferrari owner. handing me keys to his pristene 355 quickly put my inferiority to rest!

·
Registered
234 Posts
......... snip.............i never met a snobbish or uppety ferrari owner. ......... snip.............
Me either. That's because Ferrari owners and their cars are different. In fact I used to be one of those nice, non-snobbish Ferrari owners.

But now I own a Porsche and........... well.............. you know the rest. :poop:

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
50 Posts
I own a Porsche. When I grow up I want to be a snobbish Porsche driver. So far though I'm having trouble with the growing up part.
i had to smile when i saw the lambo photo at the fuel pumps.
several years ago, guiseppe, my italian ferrari mechanic and friend, was working on an aging miura when i stopped to visit
one day. i could tell he was vexed when he climbed out of the engine bay and said " lambos are kit cars. they should stick
to making tractors"! knowing him as i do, i understood.
before i bought my boxter, i asked him if he would work on it for me if i bought it. he offered a resounding NO.
he reason was simple. at his age he wanted nothing to do with the electronics and the expense of buying diagnostic equip.

i told him i would stop and visit him soon. he understood and saw the reasons i chose to sell gabriella from previous visits.
seeing me roll out of the car spoke volumes to him.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts