Porsche 718 Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
80 Posts
Saw the title of the thread and skipped to the end. My answer, "Who gives a **** what they think." I have seen 911 owners who's second car is a Honda Civic because they likely over stretched their budget to get the 911. (nothing wrong with a Honda Civic, we have one for our kids LOL). I found the styling of the 718 (Cayman particularly) to be the better looking car INSIDE and OUT. The rear seat of the 911 is a JOKE and the shift handle is downright funny. My 'used' 718 convertible gives me 99% of what a 'used' 911 convertible would have given me for 1/2 the price. When I want to go super quick AND have room for four I get in my M5....:) And I don't care what the 7 series forum thinks of my M5, maybe the Alpina Crowds' opinion might bother me, well NO.

Mike

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
672 Posts
Saw the title of the thread and skipped to the end. My answer, "Who gives a **** what they think." I have seen 911 owners who's second car is a Honda Civic because they likely over stretched their budget to get the 911. (nothing wrong with a Honda Civic, we have one for our kids LOL). I found the styling of the 718 (Cayman particularly) to be the better looking car INSIDE and OUT. The rear seat of the 911 is a JOKE and the shift handle is downright funny. My 'used' 718 convertible gives me 99% of what a 'used' 911 convertible would have given me for 1/2 the price. When I want to go super quick AND have room for four I get in my M5....:) And I don't care what the 7 series forum thinks of my M5, maybe the Alpina Crowds' opinion might bother me, well NO.

Mike
Odd assumption IMO. If you own a 911, why bother spending much on a "rain car"? My VW GTI is 10 years old and probably worth $5k. If it dies I'll get something like a used and boring SUV for poorly maintained streets and grocery runs. CGTS4 for the nice weather, fancy dinners, and twisty roads.

On that note, my sales guy said he knew a customer with the plate "RAINCAR" - on, can't recall exactly, but I think a 911. What's the sunny car?? :oops:

Reactions: gatorfast

·
Registered
32 Posts
I told a co-worker that I sold my Carrera and bought Cayman S. His response was why did you sell your Carrera for a Cayman S. That was the end of the conversation as I knew everything I needed to know.

The real reason was I was tired of being looked down on when I owned a 964 and a 996. LOL. Look at what the once hated 964s sells for now. I sold my 996 after 5 years for 25% more than I bought it for.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wonder how much of that feeling is also perception of Boxster and Cayman drivers. Yes absolutely there are those that bought their 911 purely because of the badge and anyone getting that badge for a cheaper price is seen as inferior but I really believe that true enthusiasts have a lot of respect for the Boxster/Cayman platform. Amongst some of the 911 people I converse with I have not found that feeling and on the contrary many who drive the 911 as a daily own or would like to own a Boxster or Cayman for weekend driving.

The other day driving my 992 I went past a 718 and as we approached I flashed him. His expression was one of total shock and I wonder how much of that feeling is self imposed by Boxster/Cayman drivers. I traded in my 718 for a 992. I don't regret it but I love both platforms and if prices had not gone absolutely crazy on me I would have used my wife's disappointment in losing our 718 vert to a coupe as an excuse to get into another Boxster

Interestingly where I did find a lot of looking down upon was not 911 drivers but 981 drivers who looked at my 982/718 as an inferior product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I look down on people who look down on car platforms :D As an aside though, when I was cross shopping a 911s MT with a 718, I had as many people asking why I would buy an "old mans's" bloated 911 as I had my other idiot friends (I mean that with affection) asking me why I would buy a girls car LOL.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts