Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a similar post on a different forum when I first started considering buying my first Porsche about a year ago. I have to admit, now that I have finally ordered my 718, I am not running out to tell people about it. I know I shouldn't care, but I'm a little apprehensive about the reaction I'm going to get - especially from some of my non-immediate family members.

Has anyone else felt the same way after buying their first Porsche (or other high-end, not so practical vehicle)?

Reactions: Stickshiftchick

·
Registered
712 Posts
I bought the car because I liked it and I enjoy driving it. I didn't get it to tell or not tell others about. As far as I'm concerned what others think about the car I drive is irrelevant. It isn't a status symbol or something to keep secret.

Reactions: TheLip

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
It's funny: I encountered this back in my motorcycling days in my late 20s through my 30s:

Me: "I drive a [insert hot hatch here], and I have a motorcycle."
Other person: "Oh really? You have a Harley?"
Me: "Uh, no ... a sportbike."
Other person: "Ohhhhh. You're not one of those crazies who wheelies on the highway, are you?"
Me: "Oh no. Of course not! I --"
Other person: "You wear a helmet?"
Me: "Absolutely. And protective gear, even in the dead of summ--"
Other person: "Wait! You have a Ninja?"
Me: "No. It's a V-twin. Like a Harley, but faster and more reliab--"
Other person: "Oh I know! You have a Ducati! Those are sooo beautiful. How can you afford one?"
Me: "No, not a Ducati. I have a [Suzuki SV / Aprilia / Honda VFR]. It's like a Ducati, but better."
Other person: :: pregnant pause :: "oh-kaaaay ... "

Now, I don't bother. If someone asks, I say I have a Porsche. If they press, I stay general, then I say that I'm a 'car nut, and it's my dream car'. They usually quit after that, hehe.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've always owned "sporty" vehicles (Range Rover Evoque, Audi S4, Audi Q5, BMW 335i, Infiniti G35, Mazda RX-7, Ford Mustang, Datsun 240Z, Triumph TR7) but never in the category of a Porsche.

You just don't see many Porsche's where I live in CT. In fact, I don't even know anyone that owns one and I could go months without ever seeing one on the road. I really haven't told to many people that I've ordered a Porsche but the few I have all started their response with the same 2 words, "Oh, really". I know what they're thinking is, "It must be nice to have THAT kind of money to spend on a car."

If I'm honest, the reactions do make me a little uncomfortable, but I'll get used to it!! >:D

·
Registered
307 Posts
If asked, I say I drive a 718 Cayman. What they think is of no relevance. People who know me see it as the logical extension of the sporty coupes I have driven since the early 90s. People who don't know me are free to think whatever they like. The one thing I don't do is proffer the information without first having been asked. Doing that would be kind of douchey.

Reactions: Viffermike

·
892 Posts
I neither go out of my way to tell anyone, nor do I hide it. My wife approves & beyond that I don't really care much either way & neither should you. If someone decides they'd like to make a fairly hefty contribution towards the cost of your next vehicle, then dependant on the size of that contribution then maybe, just maybe, you could allow them a little influence. However failing that unlikely scenario, it's your money & your choice, so just go out & enjoy your 718 & quit worrying what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes and No

I don't brag, but I don't hide it either. I do occasionally wear a Porsche ball cap. We live in a very small town (<5,000) so there's no being anonymous. There are 3 other Porsches in town, a Cayenne, a Macan, and an older Boxster. The closest dealer is 75 miles away.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't tell anybody about my Porsche. I just keep it on the down low by posting on the internet.

On the other hand, I could just hang out at the PCA with 2000 people wearing Porsche insignias all over they clothes. Maybe even show them my Porsche tattoo.

I also live in CT but I'm pretty sure nobody would even notice my car. I see exotics on the street on a daily basis. I like it when other people bring out their cars. I don't care if they are showing off or just going to Burger King in their Aston Martin. It's just nice to see some variety on the road.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't tell anybody about my Porsche. I just keep it on the down low by posting on the internet.

On the other hand, I could just hang out at the PCA with 2000 people wearing Porsche insignias all over they clothes. Maybe even show them my Porsche tattoo.

I also live in CT but I'm pretty sure nobody would even notice my car. I see exotics on the street on a daily basis. I like it when other people bring out their cars. I don't car if they are showing off or just going to Burger King in their Aston Martin. It's just nice to see some variety on the road.
You must live in the Southern part of the State (guessing Greenwich or Fairfield) because in Northern CT Porsche’s and exotics are rarely seen.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You must live in the Southern part of the State
Yup, I live in the south.

I agree that when you drive around other areas of the country you don't see the variety of the expensive cars I get to see everyday. Even when I go up to Boston, I hardly see anything fun on the road.

If you are car guy this is ( mostly) a good area to be. Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of hot rods or home made custom cars. Not even many less expensive older British cars. ( I still tool around in my TR6 regularly and don't see many others...although everybody used to own an MG they regret selling:eek:) But for expensive high performance or luxury cars, some pretty great eye candy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I own my own business and I definitely take care not to let my clients know I own one. I'm not the show-off type so I kept it low key with my relatives. I have my second one on order and have only told one family member.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don't brag about it but all my friends know that I have owned Porsche for a lot of years.
You cant keep it a secret if its your daily drive ;)

At the same time my friends owns Aston Martins, M3-M5, Morgan Aero etc etc
But im the only one that drives Porsche.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of my friends and family members don't drive what I would consider "expensive" vehicles. Most couldn't afford one, hence the reason for being a little uneasy about mentioning my recent purchase. I'm not "worried" about it, I was just wondering if anyone else had those same feelings when they purchased their first Porsche. Clearly some have.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've always owned "sporty" vehicles (Range Rover Evoque, Audi S4, Audi Q5, BMW 335i, Infiniti G35, Mazda RX-7, Ford Mustang, Datsun 240Z, Triumph TR7) but never in the category of a Porsche.

You just don't see many Porsche's where I live in CT. In fact, I don't even know anyone that owns one and I could go months without ever seeing one on the road. I really haven't told to many people that I've ordered a Porsche but the few I have all started their response with the same 2 words, "Oh, really". I know what they're thinking is, "It must be nice to have THAT kind of money to spend on a car."

If I'm honest, the reactions do make me a little uncomfortable, but I'll get used to it!! >:D
Where in CT are you located? There are tons of Porsches around here. Most are Macans and Cayennes, with quite a few 911s. 718s are still extremely rare - I've only seen one other one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I sometimes wear a Ferrari-badged jacket, which dates from a past passion for Formula 1 rather than my brief period of Ferrari ownership.

Anyway it seems to prompt a lot of people to ask "do you drive a Ferrari?" which often comes out sounding "do you really drive a Ferrari?" -- to which I can only reply honestly "I used to, actually now I drive a Porsche...".

What I don't say: "...and it's by far the faster, better-handling, more thrilling-to-drive mid-engine sports car".*

(* of course to be fair that's comparing cars of different eras, my Ferrari 328GTS was an '88 with 3.2 n/a V8 rated 260hp. But to the credit of the 718S, 'faster' would still apply even when compared to a couple generations more-recent mid-engine Ferrari 360.)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I sometimes wear a Ferrari-badged jacket, which dates from a past passion for Formula 1 rather than my brief period of Ferrari ownership.

Anyway it seems to prompt a lot of people to ask "do you drive a Ferrari?" which often comes out sounding "do you really drive a Ferrari?" -- to which I can only reply honestly "I used to, actually now I drive a Porsche...".

What I don't say: "...and it's by far the faster, better-handling, more thrilling-to-drive mid-engine sports car".
That is pretty funny - and happened to me too. I have a Ferrari shirt and multiple times people just assumed I must own a Ferrari because I had the shirt. I'd usually make something up like "It comes with the car" or "you have to get the car to own the shirt." Sometimes they'd believe that as well!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where in CT are you located? There are tons of Porsches around here. Most are Macans and Cayennes, with quite a few 911s. 718s are still extremely rare - I've only seen one other one.
Somers. I do see the Porsche SUV's around but I was really referring to Porsche sports cars. I see an occasional Boxster and 911 but the only time I've ever seen a Cayman is at the dealership. One of the selling points for me is that they are rare. Of course, once mine gets delivered I'll see them all the time.

Reactions: RussellHodgson

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not so rare here in S.F. Bay Area.

After parking my Boxster in a far corner of the lot at Stanford Shopping Center (near the university) last week-end, I walked past a pair of side-to-side 718 and 981 Boxsters. If there had been an open spot alongside I might have moved my car and made triplets in blue/silver/black.

But Porsches are ho-hum around here -- on the road we see a fair number of McLarens as there is a McLaren dealer (!) nearby... Ferraris, Lambos and Astons abound too. The trending status car is Tesla though. There is a Tesla dealer inside the Stanford Shopping Center.

Car-spotting at Stanford is always fun (my wife prefers shopping...).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts