Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not one to go around bragging about it, or posting pics on social media. But I'm not about to feel bad or ashamed or whatever for driving an expensive 'status symbol' type car. It took 40 years, including 20 in the military, to work my way up from food stamps brought on by bad decisions to being able to buy expensive cars (with a huge assist from a hard-working wife of course). Nothing was given to us; we earned everything we have. I'm quite proud of us. Now we're going to enjoy the fruits of our (continuing) labor. If some petty, jealous, woke, whatever has a problem with that, screw 'em. :)
Agree 100%. Congratulations on your vehicle! Mine will be here in early June.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It’s funny how most reactions to “what car do you drive” is to excuse or defend that we dare to have a Porsche, and I mean that kindly as one who does the same, my response has been “it’s my toy now that I’m retired” or similar retort.

this is an interesting thread and because of it I will in future change my response to “Porsche Cayman, it’s brilliant”, 👍😂

Reactions: ubo and JazzCatGab

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
It’s funny how most reactions to “what car do you drive” is to excuse or defend that we dare to have a Porsche, and I mean that kindly as one who does the same, my response has been “it’s my toy now that I’m retired” or similar retort.

this is an interesting thread and because of it I will in future change my response to “Porsche Cayman, it’s brilliant”, 👍😂
Great point. I think the combo of rarity of our cars and the perceived expense of them distracts from the bottom line that they are simply a wonderfully performing and fun car to drive!

Reactions: grasmere

·
Registered
657 Posts
My response to "what do you drive" is Chevrolet Suburban...it's my DD for Costco runs and schlepping the mountain bike all over heck and tarnation. If they continue with something like "no, the sports car," then I mention my lovely Bride's "SL 450." Rarely, do they press on, but if they do I simply state something like "oh the blue one, well its basically an old track toy that I got used a few years ago."

Most folks don't have a clue when it comes to P-Car model years, so that pretty much ends 90% of the inquisitions. When it doesn't, they generally are the ones interested in talking performance cars, track time, etc...conversations I look forward to having.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Can't remember the last time someone out of the blue asked me what kind of car I drive. If they know me, they know I own a few vehicles. If they don't, they probably don't care. I would think it a strange question to ask at a cocktail party, and I certainly don't go around broadcasting the fact I own a Porsche at parties and events. That would be obnoxious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
F-150s, Tahoes, and Expeditions all cost as much or more than a large portion of Caymans sold. Why would I be bothered telling anyone what I drive?

·
Registered
312 Posts
This thread, I believe, also refers to our reactions when someone sees your car, eg when I’m leaving a patients house, and they make any comment, I will now say what I think, “it’s great”, “it’s mine, not my wife’s”, “it’s my preferred drive over my other car(s)”, and so on, and not make excuse or denials even like a recent post denying the denial 🤔😉

·
Registered
493 Posts
It depends. If I am talking to another Porsche owner, I feel free to say I also have one or even volunteer it if I want to talk about our cars. In all other cases I never volunteer I have a Porsche product because too many people make assumptions about Porsche owners. Best not to crack open Pandora's box if there is no value added doing so. Also, volunteering I drive a Porsche can easily come across as bragging and I do not like that in others so it is embarrassing for me to possibly imply that. If I am meeting someone I do not know that needs to know what to look for, I typically say look for a small red 2 seater convertible. In all cases, if directly asked or there is a real need, I do not hesitate to honestly respond. I find I am much more guarded about stating I drive a Porsche than I was all the years I had BMWs because of the marked difference in how people appear to perceive Porsche products in comparison BMWs etc..

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
Mine is on order still. I’ll get in May. I won’t be driving it to work. I just want to enjoy got me. I own a small business and I have worked my a$$ off. I don’t want any comments or judgement from my team. I am young(ish) woman so I just want to deal with the snickers.
As I said in another thread, I always choose the fun drive even for essential tasks.
I even sold my other car and motorcycle.

As far as comments or judgements go, in building up a business I'm sure you've had to cope with those already. If they happen from your own staff there are a number of solutions.😁

The car and driving is worth enjoying.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts