• Never

Votes: 37 36.6%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another stop start thread !

I'm on the fence still after 6 weeks . I mostly turn it off, but occasionally I like playing with it . Mostly trying to figure out the parameters when it's allowed vs when I get the yellow circle.

I have read it needs to be engaged in order to use the PDK "coast" function , so now I have to see if I notice that

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some lights in major intersections of Orange County California are LOOOOONG. Like 4 minutes. Texas and Florida probably feel that pain too.
When I'm in "daily driver mode" I let it shut down.
As soon as I'm a "sports car on back road" it's off with sport mode anyway.
Love it or hate it, it saves fuel. Here's a great video on the topic:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Part of my 718 startup routine is to push the button to disable auto start/stop. I don't often forget, but when I do, I have a minor heart-stopping moment when the car dies at an intersection. I think it's a terrible feature in a car with a manual transmission.

Oddly, I don't mind the feature in my X5. BMW's auto start/stop feel much less intrusive and the ZF 8 speed auto does a good job engaging quickly as the engine fires back up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eh, I don't really care too much about it. When I had my manual 718, I would sometimes remember to turn it off for regular driving, and as long as you have your foot on the clutch it never shuts off, anyway. With my new PDK car, when I'm driving in normal mode, I usually just let it do its thing. It's fine for driving around town. When I'm out driving for fun, though, setting the dial to Sport turns it off, but I also have a lot less stop and go when I'm out driving for fun.

TL;DR - auto start/stop doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it's a terrible feature in a car with a manual transmission.
Yeah - It's counter intuitive:
The "proper" method when driving manual is to be stopped in neutral / foot off the clutch at an intersection.
You are "rewarded" for proper driving procedure with the "heart-stopping" panic of an engine fail. 😝
Tough to turn 20 years of - "Oh god I stalled it!?!" into "Yay - I'm saving gas and my throw-out bearing." 😁

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have a manual transmission, and the auto stop/start does feel very strange compared to cars with an automatic. I drive in sport mode a lot which automatically disables this feature. Otherwise I just let it do it's thing. It's pretty rare I hit the button to disable it alone, but I have had a few situations where the start/stop nature of the traffic confounded the algorithm so I shut it off then.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman S
20 Posts
Always seems to catch me off guard. It doesn't seem to activate predictably at all stops. But I will activate sport a lot of times too. My issue with it is that is it gonna cause more wear to the starter motor activating more than usual?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My issue with it is that is it gonna cause more wear to the starter motor activating more than usual?
Car companies upgraded (up-rated) the starter in models that started doing this 5+ years ago.
I have no doubt that Porsche has done the same.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I disable it 100% of the time, awful "feature".
In a sports car, yes. I can see the benefits of cylinder deactivation and auto stop on some vehicles but not this one. Mine is always switched off on start-up. My hybrid CRV starts from a stop on the electric and seamlessly transitions to combustion. Hard to feel the change so that is not a big jump from pure combustion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Never. Mine is a manual. Having the engine shut off when I'm stopped at an intersection with an incline is not a good feeling. I don't care that it's technologically okay. It's just nearly impossible to retrain such a basic intuition out of nearly 30 years of manual driving mentality especially on a car I don't drive every day. I now have an APR tune and it defaults it to off without me having to remember to press the button.

Reactions: chester7

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
590 Posts
I tried to use it very sparingly if I'm stuck in traffic, but with such rare use, why even bother? I also found the sudden restart mentally jarring ("what just happened?" for a half second, then "oh yeah".)

I have only killed the engine on my manual trans a couple times (actually much harder to do than in my VW GTI). And even in Sport mode (auto start/stop off), it restarted itself, without requiring fiddling with the key. That part I like, but I'd rather not stall it at all. ;)

I only use non-Sport mode when doing many miles of 70+ MPH freeway driving to save a few MPG when sport response is not necessary. Sport 100% of the time otherwise.

·
Registered
548 Posts
In a sports car, yes. I can see the benefits of cylinder deactivation and auto stop on some vehicles but not this one. Mine is always switched off on start-up. My hybrid CRV starts from a stop on the electric and seamlessly transitions to combustion. Hard to feel the change so that is not a big jump from pure combustion.
Eh, our family car the VW Atlas has auto start/stop as well and both my wife and I hate it and immediately turn it off after starting the car. I gets its more of a mental and comfort related thing to not want the engine to turn off when you are stopped only momentarily.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a manual as well, and (assuming it's just casual driving in town) think the autostop/start to work v/ well. My foot has the clutch in motion well before I'm pressing the gas, so I never notice an interruption in my ability to get going. I barely ever notice it. Seems to offend so many on this forum though, I've been assuming it's more intrusive w/ the pdk. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mine has PDK and the S/S feature works ‘almost‘ perfectly, but I rarely use it, tell you why in a moment.
No idea what it’s like with a Porsche manual but ide like to hope It’s like my wife’s manual Mini which works brilliant and I DO use it all the time, it is seamless, never scary, stays off for minutes if necessary, eg train crossings then starts extremely quickly.

So if I like S/S so much, why don’t I use it in the 718?
Because it doesn’t stay ‘off’ long enough. Even after a long drive of 20+ miles, as soon as I come to eg traffic lights and it stops, it only ever stops for about 20/30 seconds and starts again, not to S/S again till who knows when!

So it is absolutely POINTLESS! It’s more of a Start/Brief Off🤨

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 12V start stop feature is very intrusive. On the X7 with the 48V system, it's practically unnoticeable. On the Cayman, after stopping, it starts up again in 30 seconds or so which really doesn't save any substantial amount of gas. On the X7, the savings is more noticeable in the long run.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
111 Posts
They should program a reasonable delay before shutting off the engine. I live in the country and most driving is in the country. Makes no sense to shut off for a few seconds at a stop sign. 10 or 15 second delay would be better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They should program a reasonable delay before shutting off the engine. I live in the country and most driving is in the country. Makes no sense to shut off for a few seconds at a stop sign. 10 or 15 second delay would be better.
I’m looking very forward to experiencing those problems! In the meantime, I’m busy committing my newly issued VIN to memory. Thirty-seven days, 13 hours, 29 minutes, and 11 seconds to go!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts