• Only when I forget to turn it off

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • Never

Votes: 42 36.8%
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's already a quarter of the way to a tune which keeps it deactivated plus gives you a 50hp bonus. ;)
Why do I need a 50 hp bonus? My base Boxster already has more power than I require.

In the past I drove a 26.5 hp 49 Crosley Hotshot, a 28 hp 60 Fiat 600, a 36 hp 55 VW and a 36hp 65 VW type 2 bus. None of my 6 Alfa Romeos I have owned had over 110 hp.

I have found the 300 hp Boxster to have adequate power.

What I wanted was to eliminate the S/S and the module does that.

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder PDK
57 Posts
I refuse to use AS/S...too unsettling (YMMV). Provided the AS/S is rated for many, many more cycles, then my 718's starter should last forever and starter replacement is removed from the Porsche tax.

Total Win/Win!
FWIW it seems an auto stop/start positions cylinders and engine optimally for the restart, minimizing the stress on the start cycle (which a normal stop and start does not). It’s kind of technicality interesting. I have no idea whether a normal stop does the same.bSo more work goes into the “feature” than meets the eye.

If I want efficiency gasoline efficiency I just drive electric! :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Cayman S, MT
87 Posts
”should”
Exactly...

I found this tidbit via google just now; "To permanently get rid of this useless piece of technology, just disconnect the sensor on the negative clamp of the starter battery, works on my Merc C Class and my Porsche Cayman. "

does anyone know if this works?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The main reason I dislike it is the uncomfortable feeling that the car has stalled. I am old enough to have had cars that stalled unintentionally, and it's just a bad "oh crap, now what" feeling.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have the Individual setting programmed to turn the Auto-SS off. Since I seldom use Auto-SS and none of our other cars have it, it can be quite startling when I (very rarely) forget to turn on Individual and the car shuts down whilst idling!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The main reason I dislike it is the uncomfortable feeling that the car has stalled. I am old enough to have had cars that stalled unintentionally, and it's just a bad "oh crap, now what" feeling.
Yeah, but after you've driven that way a few times you get used to it. If course if you aren't in traffic that stops hear and there then it doesn't have much to do.

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder PDK
57 Posts
Here is another way to think about it: Auto start/stop systems save around 8% in city driving conditions. Using Auto start/stop system and having it enabled allows better fuel economy ratings in tests. Having better test numbers allows meeting efficiency ratings with bigger engines.

So they are good way to allow more power while meeting ratings. In that case I am all for them. Doesn’t mean I will always leave them on, but it makes me look at the option with a positive spin! :cool:

On a side note I am always impressed how smooth the modern auto start/stop systems are on starting a relatively good size engine in the Spyder…

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm the kind of person who can get hung up on things. In my previous car (Mercedes), the auto start/stop really got on my nerves. At first I didn't pay much attention to it, but then it started acting up and didn't work properly (i.e. it didn't activate). Functionality wise that didn't matter much to me, but it drove me crazy to see the that stupid amber "a with an arrow" all the time - mocking me, telling me there was something wrong. I eventually changed the battery and that helped.But I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong and under what conditions it should activate.

The good thing about the Porsche system at least is that the symbol only is shown (either green or yellow) when there is a possibility for the system to kick in. I don't see the symbol all the time as I did in the Merc.

In the Porsche, I mostly drive in Sports mode so the system is not operational that often. I do find it works ok, though. I kind of like when the engine comes to life. There are situations when I turn it off. There are a lot of roundabout on my way to work and when approaching and stopping the auto start/stop sometimes feels outright dangerous.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why do I need a 50 hp bonus? My base Boxster already has more power than I require.

In the past I drove a 26.5 hp 49 Crosley Hotshot, a 28 hp 60 Fiat 600, a 36 hp 55 VW and a 36hp 65 VW type 2 bus. None of my 6 Alfa Romeos I have owned had over 110 hp.

I have found the 300 hp Boxster to have adequate power.

What I wanted was to eliminate the S/S and the module does that.
Wow, didn't need your full car ownership resume. Guess my winky emoji was missed.

Reactions: orton

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
672 Posts
In a sports car, yes. I can see the benefits of cylinder deactivation and auto stop on some vehicles but not this one. Mine is always switched off on start-up. My hybrid CRV starts from a stop on the electric and seamlessly transitions to combustion. Hard to feel the change so that is not a big jump from pure combustion.
These engines are considerably louder than hybrids or 1.6 liter camry / accord / etc engines. A sudden start in those is hardly as jarring as in the 718.

Reactions: Erik van Rijn

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had start stop on my daily driver for 7 years ( VAG) and I use it at drive through pharmacy as my diesel motor is quite loud. In rush hour driving I let it kick in at long intersections when I know the wait time is extended but I switch mine in and out using the button on the consol. I can see me using the Boxster one in the same way, mainly laevint it in the off position apart from the drive through pharmacy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there anyway possible to dis-enable the auto stop/start, egome kind of hack such as cutting the wires or bypassing it somehow?
I asked our dealer’s service manager and he said they can’t do it.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
672 Posts
Is there anyway possible to dis-enable the auto stop/start, egome kind of hack such as cutting the wires or bypassing it somehow?
T-Design sells a thingie for $230 if it's worth it to you.
I always put my CGTS4 into Sport mode, every time anyway, so that takes care of that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The automatic stop-start feature can be disabled with an OBDII console. That is, the console defeat switch does not need to be pressed each time the car is started.

The following steps apply to my Autel MaxiSys MS906.
01.Connect the console to the car and power up
02. Select Diagnostics
03. Select Porsche
04. Read the VIN
05. Select Programming
06. Select Coding
07. Select DME (Digital Engine Electronics)
08. Select Kodierwert (Coding value)
09. Set Start/stop plus active to No
10. Set Start/stop active to No
11. Write the new values to the vehicle
12. Escape
13. Escape
14. Select Gateway
15. Select Start/stop function
16. Set Start/stop function to Start/stop not activated
17. Write the new value to the vehicle
18. Exit coding and quit
19. Done

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yikes, too complicated for me. I’ll certainly screw-in up! I guess I’ll just have to live with pushing that **** button every time I start up.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yikes, too complicated for me. I’ll certainly screw-in up! I guess I’ll just have to live with pushing that **** button every time I start up.
The T-Design module will take ten minutes or so to install. The OBD reader is nice and has way more functionality for a DIYer. But as you said, more complicated and can get you in the weeds if you're not familiar with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All VAG cars can have it disabled via Vagcom or OBD11. My son had a pal who just used the OBD to set the battery voltage to 17 volts for the Start.stop to operate and of course this can never happen. He had what we call a SEAT Leon FR SC 2017 Seat Leon SC Review

41 - 60 of 64 Posts