Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2018 Cayman S and the build sheet does not list the Bose system as an option. Because of this I was surprised when I went to purchase the car I saw the Bose logo on the speaker grill on the doors. Does this mean I actually do have the Bose system? If so why isn't it listed on the build sheet? Is there anyway to definitively tell?

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Definitely not an option. If it is not on the build sheet I would be suspicious.

For $2.75 times two you can sell a lie:

Hope that's not the case!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
To answer your question though.. you have Bose. I believe It's part of a package that's required with Navigation.

·
Registered
964 Posts
From memory, the build sheet does not list cruise control for my Boxster, but it's either part of the GTS package or another options package. I can attest to the fact my car is equipped with it. You car has Bose and may have been added by the dealer or a prior owner. We read every day here of people adding things like cruise control and other options the car did not originally get delivered with.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bose is a separate option on my 2018 Cayman build sheet. But it could have been added later as mentioned above.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2018 Cayman S build sheet shows both option 7UG for Nav, and 9VL for Bose Surround Sound System.

Maybe the base stereo was not "Surround Sound" but still had Bose speakers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2018 Cayman S build sheet shows both option 7UG for Nav, and 9VL for Bose Surround Sound System.

Maybe the base stereo was not "Surround Sound" but still had Bose speakers.
That may very well be the case because when I go into sound settings I only have bass and treble adjustments. Oh well, it still sounds good enough to me for the little I’ll actually use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have the Bose system. It is pretty good, not crap as some would claim. However the car is noisy so hearing subtlety isn't easy. You asked about the surround system. We tried it. It did increase the sense of spaciousness a little, which of course is artificial. It made a radio announcer unintelligible. So I turned it off.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
157 Posts
Go into the radio settings and look for the Bose configurations. If not there, you probably don't have it.
MOO
this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
@CaymanMatt and @dkmajm have the best advice: Go into your 'Sound' settings and check for a Bose-specific surround sound menu. If it's not there, you do not have the Bose system. It was a standalone option on 2018 models - I know this because I have a 2018 and I purposefully did not order it.

FYI: It cannot be added to a factory build without tremendous expense because it is based on an industry-standard fiber-optic interface, whereas the base system is totally analog from the PCM unit forward.

As for the 'Bose' logos on the doors: Ask the dealer from which you bought your car about it. I'd also check for signs of DIY installation. It's also possible the door cards were replaced for some reason with the wrong spec for the original build, which could be a sign of previous interior damage, i.e. flooding. Not good. Investigate.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's also possible the door cards were replaced for some reason with the wrong spec for the original build, which could be a sign of previous interior damage, i.e. flooding. Not good. Investigate.
What are "door cards"?

·
Registered
823 Posts
For MY 2018 it was an option, not standard. If you had the premium package it would have been included, but I see no indication of premium package on the build. That being said, if you see Bose options under the audio config then it's really there.

·
Registered
982 Posts
What are "door cards"?
It is very hard not to make a (hopefully humorous) smart-ass remark in reply, but as I wondered what "door cards" are when I first heard the term, I can sympathize with your question. If you have ever taken a car door apart to fix a window or handle or whatever, you would know most of the interior door things are attached to an upholstered board, i.e. or ergo, the "door card".

Now my attempt at humor. A door card is a little card that comes with every car door. On it are safety precautions such as: "Do not open door while vehicle is in motion." and "Do not enter or exit the vehicle through this door while the vehicle is in motion." and "Avoid leaving door open or unlocked in high-crime areas unattended for long periods of time." and "Safety tip: Use this door to exit if vehicle is being consumed by flames." And for very luxurious cars, "Thank you for entering this vehicle through a door. Other modes of entry can endanger the sumptuous interior, or startle your chauffeur."

OK, it was an attempt at humor.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I thought it might be like an 18th century calling card. As, a passenger rides in your car and leaves their card behind in the passenger door cubby. Or if your friend borrows it, he leaves his in the driver door cubby to let you know he had a Bueller joy ride. :D

Reactions: JazzCatGab
1 - 20 of 29 Posts