Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is going to be a semi-rant, so beware.

If you’re looking to get some performance brake pads, you can skip Red Stuff. I read this forum trying to figure out what pads I should get after I wore down my initial factory pads through 2.5 track days at Circuit of the Americas; which is a fairly hardcore course where you reach a top speed of 140, and are carrying 100+ mph through a lot of it. I didn’t want any brake squeals, so the Red Stuff were suggested after the Yellow Stuff was said to be very squeak ridden. They were replaced right before Covid restrictions went into place, and got very low miles on them before I tracked them this weekend at the same track. These pads made it 1 track day before being completely gone. They’re ground down to nothing but the backs after 1 40 minute session, and 3 30 minute sessions. I could brake equal to the factory pads on regular tires, and I should have been able to brake later given my tire upgrade as well.

Save your money, and keep factory pads if you’re thinking about getting these.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the Red Stuff pads on mine and they have been fantastic for street use. Low dust, great bite, no squeak. I don't track so I wouldn't know about that.

I would suggest you revise the title to say not to buy them for track use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if they had the same wear as stock pads, or had greater bite; I would. But from all the measures I have, they perform worse than stock pads.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You could always query with redstuff themselves, give them a chance to advise on their use!

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
93 Posts
I went step above red stuff for yellow stuff, higher performing even track rated, red stuff definitely aren’t track rated, cost difference was $50 total between red and yellow, I have them on all 4 corners, love them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
FWIW, the yellows are not that great either for track use. I went through a full set during a watkins Glenn weekend. I run PAgid RSL29 now. they are a bit loud, but street or track, they stop amazingly, every time (at twice the price, but 4x the wear life, IMHO)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
FWIW I just ordered a set of Ferodo DS3.12. They're reported to be the best track pad that you can also run on the street without torturing your rotors (or ears). I'll be out at Thunderhill on August 16–17 and can report back after that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW, the yellows are not that great either for track use. I went through a full set during a watkins Glenn weekend. I run PAgid RSL29 now. they are a bit loud, but street or track, they stop amazingly, every time (at twice the price, but 4x the wear life, IMHO)
This seems to be what all of the 911 guys recommend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll be out at Thunderhill on August 16–17 and can report back after that.
Who will you be @ Thunderhill with? What configuration?

I run Yellow Stuff on a 2005 Boxster S. I like there performance and wearability, they do squeak a bit for street use, but the S is my daily driver and I still run them. I have about 14 track days since starting to use them. I had a “check brake light” on 2 different occasions of Saturday/Sunday sessions at Thunderhill, once during the final session Sunday and the second time about 1/2 way through the 3rd session Sunday. It turns out that the issue was burning out the sensor (I run Motul brake fluid also), but the pads still had about 1/2 or better left. I pull my sensors out now, and tape them down somewhere handy but out of the heat for track days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Red stuff pads are street pads, not track pads. OEM pads are slightly more tolerant but they are also not track pads. I don't like EBC yellow stuff for track, either - they just aren't up to the job. I go from full bedded-in down to the backing plates on any of these pads in 2h (one regular track day). If you're looking for real longevity on the track, you need to go with a track pad and track pads aren't quiet.

I've been through so many of them (PFC-01, ST43, Hawk DTC30/60/70, Carbotech whatevers, Porterfield RS4) and got varying wear and performance out of all of them, but never any to rave about. The ones I rave about are the Pagids. I am running RSL29 yellows on all the track cars now (I did really love the RSL2s I had on my Camaro 1LE but that's overkill for the Cayman) and that's what I recommend to most of my students who are starting to burn up stock pads pretty quickly.

You don't mention what fluid you're running. That has a huge impact, too.

So what I'm really trying to say is that the red stuff pads are fine street pads but they aren't motorsports pads. If you need a cheap set of street brakes that don't make very much dust and only run them between track days, they work great on the street and last acceptably long enough, but don't run them on the track.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Who will you be @ Thunderhill with? What configuration?
Whoops, I meant July, not August! It's with the Reno SCCA, and they're doing the 3-mile East course on the 17th and the 2-mile West course on the 18th.

Thanks for the tip about the brake pad sensors!

·
Registered
2019 718 Cayman - Manual, PTV, PASM, Sport Chrono
45 Posts
Just another voice in the mix to amplify some of the experience around Yellow Stuff - It's not a track pad, and IME, not even a very good street pad. For me, at about 10 minutes in the canyons (even on a light car - e30, miata) they start smoking/smelling, and just a couple minutes more and they start to lose bite.

That said - they are a decent autocross pad IME, because they don't take much heat to have full torque.

(I know this thread was about Red Stuff - just adding additional "color" - tee hee)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts