Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cayman Base | Jet Black Metallic | Sport Chrono | 20" Carrera S Wheels
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with my Porsche mechanic here in So Cal. We were chatting about replacing air filters from a DIY perspective. He strongly cautioned me against getting an oiled air filter, with the quote "Unless you want to help put my kids through college." He then went on to say that he uses stock/OEM air filters even on his Porsche race cars and has had zero issues. The only time he recommended it was if you were in a dusty, desert climate.

So I just ordered my parts from FCP Euro and am now looking forward to the lifetime replacement hookups!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I always use only OEM air filters on all my cars. Unless the oiled filter was completely saturated and over-oiled, I dont see it as some big risk though and have never heard of anyone having an issue with these. They just dont really add any value in terms of filtering ability or performance.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I always use only OEM air filters on all my cars. Unless the oiled filter was completely saturated and over-oiled, I dont see it as some big risk though and have never heard of anyone having an issue with these. They just dont really add any value in terms of filtering ability or performance.
I've had issues many years ago with a fouled up MAF sensor and throttle body from an oiled air filter on a Honda back in the late '90s. I didn't consider my re-oiling of it soaking it. I just sprayed the oil along the ridges until it was red and then let it sit out for whatever the amount of time was on the K&N instructions but maybe it was, I don't know but that's the problem with them, they're prone to human error. Initially there were no issues but it was just built up over 10s of thousands of miles. Luckily it was just a MAF and throttle body. Oil fouling up turbo blades probably isn't a good thing.

I know many GT cars use oiled BMC filters from the factory. I had asked a shop before as to whether they clean them when due and they said no, they throw them out and replace them with new ones like any paper filter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just want to say that GT3 uses BMC from the factory. I never know they throw them, however even they throw them - on what milage? For me, using BMC on GT cars from the factory just confirm their better performance. May be they last longer and perform better, so, it make sense to use them on tuned vehicles.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just want to say that GT3 uses BMC from the factory. I never know they throw them, however even they throw them - on what milage? For me, using BMC on GT cars from the factory just confirm their better performance. May be they last longer and perform better, so, it make sense to use them on tuned vehicles.
It's probably also safe to presume that most GT cars aren't seeing 10s of thousands of miles like my daily Honda did. From what I remember oiled filters go about 20K-30K miles before servicing which may be a lifetime for many GT cars. Other than the 2RS, all GT cars are also NA with no risk of oil fouling turbine blades.

Reactions: JFAtlanta

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oiled air filters = fouled sensors. Like many other dummies a K&N cost me a new MAF (not on the 718). There is no repeatable reliable way to measure the amount of oil applied, and when washed it's impossible to avoid leaving some amount of crap on the clean side. Near as I can tell they don't add any butt dyno horsepower either, that is unless you run a thoroughly blinded filter as a comparison. Go with OE paper.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Most newer cars do not run MAF sensors and this is the case with the 718. They run a MAP sensor instead which is typically installed in the manifold where all the blowby vapour goes, so it is already an oily environment and the MAP sensors are resilient to this. So the 718 is unlikely to have any sensors effected by an oiled filter. If the oiled filter does anything negative it would be related to the filtration capability and flow/pressure drop, but I think a good quality oiled filter is likely to exceed the factory paper filter on both fronts.

I put a BMC in my car. I think it cost me about a quarter of the price of new paper filter from Porsche (Australia). At that price difference, I don't need to service the filter... just buy a new replacement!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I recently changed the OEM filters on my Spyder at 3k miles (they looked new) and put a pair of BMCs in - easy to do and I get a little more intake noise but I cannot feel any differences.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts