Porsche 718 Forum banner

Drain plug access

Tags
oil change
4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  dkmajm 
#1 ·
I have just completed an oil and filter change on my 2018 Boxster 718 thanks to Dan and others on this forum.
I did find that my 987 oil filter wrench was really too snug to get a good grip on the plastic filter housing - maybe Ill get a slightly bigger one.
But my main concern for next time is unscrewing the T25 screws and the plastic and metal bolts for the cover that protects the engine.
What do people think about drilling a 25mm hole in the cover over the drain plug so it could be removed without removing the cover each time ??

#2 ·
IMHO that would work. Please note I am not an engineer, nor do I drive trains on TV.

I would then attach a single rivet to a circular or oblong cover. Then, simply swing the cover open to unscrew the plug and drain your oil. Once your change is complete, swing the cover closed. That may help keep the covered area cleaner.

#4 ·
Some pretty good holes in it already, yes?

Not in the right place, of course. We're German.

#5 ·
Yes. Im sure it would do little harm to leave the cover off but I have gravel on my drive and it appears to offer some protection.
For anyone who wants to leave the cover in place but access the drain plug, I made a 1 and 3/8" hole in the plastic and aluminum cover with a hole boring bit. Easy.
Wall Wood Rectangle Floor
The two Torx screws holding the cover in place at the rear are 28.7cms apart. The drain plug is 8cms in from the right Torx and 24.7cms toward the front. Now the drain plug is accessible with the cover on.
Button Circle Audio equipment Fashion accessory Metal
Helmet Automotive exterior Hood Personal protective equipment Bumper

Now Im wondering if the rear left wheel needs to come off to access the filter ??

#7 ·
I love your workshop.... I wish I had the space. Im surprised you haven't got a portable two post lift or at least a couple of scissor jacks. It took me about half an hour to get the car lifted. Nice looking Boxster BTW. Mine is dark metallic blue

#14 ·
Um yeah so no.

I don't paint my own calipers to play pretend games with people who don't care.
Seriously? Had some folks in Italy at Brembo do that for us. Please.

They're delicious. We'll never own a Porsche w/o PCCB. Touch wood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.