Porsche 718 Forum banner

DRIVER'S SIDE Seatbelt Rattle

10K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Third 
#1 ·
My driver's side seat belt clasp rattles inside the buckle when my seatbelt fastened. The rattle is nearly constant except when I'm stopped at a light or driving on the smoothest of roads. Essentially there's too much play in the buckle. Do any of you have this issue, and if so, have you been able to fix it.

#2 ·
I just had the same issue fixed yesterday. My local Porsche dealer fixed it in less then 10 minutes. I would not have believed it if it did not happen to me. They simply added some padded tape to put tension on the buckle and it stopped the rattle. It was obvious that they had seen this issue many times and knew exactly how to fix it.

You could probably add the tape yourself. I will take a picture of it next time I am in the car and post it. Basically they added what looks like the soft side of velcro tape to the buckle between the seat and the buckle(on the buckle)

#8 ·
A picture would be great, thanks!

I played with the buckle a bit while driving the other day, and I think what's happening is the buckle sticks and skips along leather. Either that's what I hear directly, or it causes the metal clasp to rattle in the buckle as it sticks and skips along the seat. That's why I asked if the tape was between the buckle and the seat. Originally I assumed the tape you were talking about was the piece on the other side that comes from the factory. You ruled that out for me! I'm hopeful this will solve my problem. I'll watch for your pic. Thanks again!

#10 ·
I don't think mazyo ever posted a picture, and I haven't added a piece of tape (yet) myself, but I'm pretty sure it will fix it. Meantime I tend to wedge my sunglasses case between the buckle and the seatback to keep the buckle from shifting. It's a matter of that or reducing the friction between the buckle and the seat so the buckle slides rather than skips along the bolster.

#11 ·
On the seat belt there is a plastic clip which can be used to set the minimum height of the buckle, i use this to fix the passenger side buckle all the way to the top when not having a passenger in the car, this stops the rattle.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice this thread was about a rattle in the drivers side until after posting :rolleyes:
I am not sure I have experience that.

#13 ·
Right. The issue isn't the unbuckled clasp rattling on the passenger's side, but rather an irritating noise/creak coming from the driver's side buckle as it rides forward and back along the bottom bolster during acceleration and braking events. I have Adaptive SportSeats Plus. The bolsters are much more substantial on those compared to the base (or 14-way) seat, so the issue may be limited to cars with Adaptives only.

#15 ·
Maybe you could spray paint a moleskin. My VW GTI comes with black felt things that look exactly like black moleskin around the buckle receptacles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.