Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a road trip in my Boxster and thought I would just post a few photos and my impressions of the car. I drove from the UK, EuroTunnel, through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria to Lake Garda for a few nights and then up to Cavalese in the Dolomites for a few more nights and then back home. Away for 16 days, covered about 3000 miles and thoroughly enjoyed the whole time, went with my wife who drove on a few occasions.

The first day was a drive mostly using motorways, keeping to roughly legal speeds and I was quite surprised to see the following mpg for the day
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Car Tachometer

I used quite a lot of German autobahns some unrestricted so cruised at 130 mph, where I could, but traffic conditions deteriorated at times with lots of really slow roadworks. A lot of the autobahn network seems to be affected. Never the less, I did manage a few bursts up to 150 mph and the car felt rock steady, impressively stable.
My wife managed to record one of these blasts
Speedometer Car Vehicle Tachometer Gauge

I am not very interested in straight line speed and found the sinuous roads of the Dolomites much more fun. Here is a shot of a series of such bends from higher up the mountain.
Ecoregion Natural landscape Highland Grass Oxbow lake

and the Boxster in its element
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Sky

Its a PDK which I quite like but found it best to manually keep it geared low enough to have plenty of acceleration coming out of the slow-ish hairpins as the PDK even in sport would let the revs drop too low for a satisfying rush out of slow hairpins.

Cloud Sky Mountain Infrastructure Road surface

Sky Cloud Plant Motor vehicle Road surface

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

So a great driving trip in a car that corners well, is precise and responsive, but then you all know that, it鈥檚 me that鈥檚 new to Porsche. I have had the car almost a year but it really did excel on this trip. I hope you like my photos and I know you will all understand my enthusiasm. 馃榾馃槑馃榾
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Car Tachometer

Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
Just returned from a road trip in my Boxster and thought I would just post a few photos and my impressions of the car. I drove from the UK, EuroTunnel, through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria to Lake Garda for a few nights and then up to Cavalese in the Dolomites for a few more nights and then back home. Away for 16 days, covered about 3000 miles and thoroughly enjoyed the whole time, went with my wife who drove on a few occasions.

The first day was a drive mostly using motorways, keeping to roughly legal speeds and I was quite surprised to see the following mpg for the day
View attachment 47457

I used quite a lot of German autobahns some unrestricted so cruised at 130 mph, where I could, but traffic conditions deteriorated at times with lots of really slow roadworks. A lot of the autobahn network seems to be affected. Never the less, I did manage a few bursts up to 150 mph and the car felt rock steady, impressively stable.
My wife managed to record one of these blasts
View attachment 47458

I am not very interested in straight line speed and found the sinuous roads of the Dolomites much more fun. Here is a shot of a series of such bends from higher up the mountain.
View attachment 47459
and the Boxster in its element
View attachment 47460
View attachment 47461
View attachment 47462
Its a PDK which I quite like but found it best to manually keep it geared low enough to have plenty of acceleration coming out of the slow-ish hairpins as the PDK even in sport would let the revs drop too low for a satisfying rush out of slow hairpins.

View attachment 47463

View attachment 47464

View attachment 47465

So a great driving trip in a car that corners well, is precise and responsive, but then you all know that, it鈥檚 me that鈥檚 new to Porsche. I have had the car almost a year but it really did excel on this trip. I hope you like my photos and I know you will all understand my enthusiasm. 馃榾馃槑馃榾 View attachment 47457
Great photos, thanks for sharing!

Couple of questions prompted by the dash photos: (1) The analog speedometer is in MPH, not KPH, but the digital readout in the tack is KPH. Are all Porsche analog speedometers in MPH regardless of country? (2) It looks like you were going 150 mph with the PDK in 6th gear. It is a seven speed PDK, correct?

P.S. Impressive fuel economy. My Cayman GTS 4.0 appears to top out at 30-32 mpg on the highway. Although our 540d has threatened 50 mpg a few times:
Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive navigation system Car

Registered
What a trip, I love a good road trip and have done quite a few. But I鈥檝e never taken my own car into Europe, how did you find being on the wrong side of the road in a RHD car?
We鈥檙e just back from 2 weeks in France, Switzerland and the Italian lakes: it was our first overseas trip in the Boxster and it was absolutely epic. I can鈥檛 recommend it highly enough - I haven鈥檛 stopped thinking or talking about it since we returned. Much easier than you might think - the French roads are superb and the mountain passes are to die for. I can also highly recommend the company with whom we booked, Scenic Car Tours. Just do it!
Sky Cloud Wheel Tire Vehicle

Cloud Sky Mountain Water Natural landscape
Wheel Tire Water Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Cloud Car Vehicle

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Flower

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Great photos, thanks for sharing!

Couple of questions prompted by the dash photos: (1) The analog speedometer is in MPH, not KPH, but the digital readout in the tack is KPH. Are all Porsche analog speedometers in MPH regardless of country? (2) It looks like you were going 150 mph with the PDK in 6th gear. It is a seven speed PDK, correct?

P.S. Impressive fuel economy. My Cayman GTS 4.0 appears to top out at 30-32 mpg on the highway.
It is a 7 speed PDK but top gear is like an overdrive, you need 6th to get top speed (I believe), and I was trying for 177mph but traffic meant I only got to 150 mph.
As far as mpg is concerned, don鈥檛 forget a US gallon is 20% smaller than a UK one!
I guess all cars have their analogue speedo in miles or km dependant on the area they are sold into, the digital speed is switchable
Hope that helps

Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
Is it a real question or just trolling ?

How could any car manufacturer, producing cars for internation market put the imperial measures as a standard, considered the imperial units are only for the minority of the world ? Does not seem logical.
Lighten up. Not trolling just an honest mistake. I've never driven in England and mistakenly assumed that since the UK went (mostly) metric in the 1960's, speed limits and distances were in kilometers. Never too old to learn something. ;)

Registered
My experience with pdk is that it changes with driving style superbly, especially in sport and sport plus, so if it wasn't changing down sufficiently then you weren't braking hard enough. Give it a go. Having said that I enjoy Manual mode too for spirited driving!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We鈥檙e just back from 2 weeks in France, Switzerland and the Italian lakes: it was our first overseas trip in the Boxster and it was absolutely epic. I can鈥檛 recommend it highly enough - I haven鈥檛 stopped thinking or talking about it since we returned. Much easier than you might think - the French roads are superb and the mountain passes are to die for. I can also highly recommend the company with whom we booked, Scenic Car Tours. Just do it!
I have done trips like this many times by motorcycle but this was the first time for many years in a car. This time I avoided French motorways as I think the tolls can be excessive, did you travel down through France and if so how were the roads. I used a lot of Belgium and German motorways in order to get there quickly whilst on the bike I used to avoid all motorways as they are even less fun on a bike. Not heard of Scenic Car Tours but will check them out although I have the time and quite enjoy planning and arranging such trips. Thanks for the post & great photos

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Amazing trip, look forward to doing the same. Where do you recommend?
The Italian Dolomites are great for driving but can get busy later in the day, the town of Canazei is right on the Sella circuit of great passes. I also like the Swiss passes but Switzerland is very expensive and you need a full annual vignette to use their motorways. This time I went over the Timmeljoch, a great toll road pass between Austria and Italy. I have also stayed in the south tyrol which is just above the Dolomites and was also good.
The mountain passes everywhere in Europe seem to be getting busier, best early in the day.
Hope that helps, I reserved hotels well in advance as accommodation gets booked up.

Registered
I have done trips like this many times by motorcycle but this was the first time for many years in a car. This time I avoided French motorways as I think the tolls can be excessive, did you travel down through France and if so how were the roads. I used a lot of Belgium and German motorways in order to get there quickly whilst on the bike I used to avoid all motorways as they are even less fun on a bike. Not heard of Scenic Car Tours but will check them out although I have the time and quite enjoy planning and arranging such trips. Thanks for the post & great photos
We did travel down through France and the roads were brilliant - quiet and well maintained. Returning to the M25/M1/M6 brought us back down to earth with a bump.

We are arch planners but having someone else take the strain was a refreshing change. It also means you can reflect on the day鈥榮 adventures with fellow car enthusiasts over a drink at the hotel bar each evening. It was truly one of our best ever holidays and we will be returning next year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts