Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here in NorCal it hasn't been a problem, although if I get pulled over for speeding I know I'll get a ticket for it. Like IL it does seem that the SFPD has a thing about this - I got pulled over in my R32 in SF for a front plate. (The rest of the car's life with me it had the front plate zip-tied on lol) I have a tow hook holder that I plan to use if I get ticketed. Get the fix-it ticket signed off, go home, go back to the way it was meant to be...
Our experience in the Bay Area has been that you won't get pulled over for no front plate, but if you're somewhere w/ parking police, they'll write it up as it's parked.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Reading all of this makes me even more thankful that I no longer live in a two-plate state. Always thought it was a scam. Nobody ever leaves the scene of an accident or gets pulled over for speeding in reverse.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have had my VW GTI here in Texas for 9 years with no front plate.

I only once received any attention for it (a warning citation) while I was driving ~55 in a 70 inbetween big cities early AM. I was in no rush (early to arrive at commuting gig), so drove at optimal MPG efficiency speed. I think the cop figured I was smoking a doobie to drive that slowly, as that was his reason for pulling me over (suspicious, I agree). I did not put a front plate on after that.

I think the tow-hook solution looks hideous being asymmetrical. I am fine with a once-a-decade ticket if that is what it takes to let the front of my car look much better.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I confess I don't understand the disliking of a front plate. It is what it is. You need certain stuff on the car to satisfy rules. One is a license plate that doesn't rotate James Bond style. Another is taillights. Another is headlights. Another is front plate. If it is centered so it doesn't look like it was glued on crooked and it doesn't block a required functional air vent, the so be it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is true. Chicago police and parking enforcement will even go into parking garages and look for violators.
True. I have not had a front plate on my car for 45 years. The only tickets I have received were in City of Chicago parking garages. I am told they have license plate readers and when a car w no front plate is detected they are quick to raise some revenue.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use a magnetic plate mount..
I use the OE plate bracket and added rare earth magnets on the back.
I also did the same on the backside of the bumper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
True. I have not had a front plate on my car for 45 years. The only tickets I have received were in City of Chicago parking garages. I am told they have license plate readers and when a car w no front plate is detected they are quick to raise some revenue.
The underground City-run Parking Garage in San Francisco by City Hall uses license plate readers. I don't have a front license plate... wonder if I'm going to get a ticket in the mail?...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in a Required front plate state. I bought a Tow Hook License Plate Mount made by US Mills Work. When traveling interstates I place the plate on. I believe it is required going through tolls. Around town I remove the plate for that clean look. The unit I have is quality made. I think it is a good solution. View attachment 23881
Does the US Millworks mount play nice with the front parking sensors?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the US millworks on my 991.2, and a similar set up by different manufacturer (got it from my dealer) and both set off one of the sensors. For me this isn't much of a problem because the other sensors work fine, and I only turn it on when I need it. The other sensors up front give you a good idea of how close you are to a flat wall etc.

I actually hate the sensors because even without the plate, they go off every time I start up my car in my garage or the garage at work, as if I need an alarm to tell me there is a concrete wall 12" in front of me. It's a small sports car, I know where the corners and don't need a sensor in the vast majority of cases. And when I do need it, a splitter scraping curb stop, it doesn't go off anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually hate the sensors because even without the plate, they go off every time I start up my car in my garage or the garage at work, as if I need an alarm to tell me there is a concrete wall 12" in front of me. It's a small sports car, I know where the corners and don't need a sensor in the vast majority of cases. And when I do need it, a splitter scraping curb stop, it doesn't go off anyway.
I don't understand why the front sensors are so high either. They should be much lower to protect from parking blocks and curbs, not flat walls in front of you! I really like the design of Millworks as I have it on an Audi. I may just get this one instead for the Cayman. http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/universal-front-license-plate-bracket/

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a Rennline billet tow hook mount for the front plate. Angled slightly to avoid triggering the park assist. I never look at the front of my car when I'm driving so really don't care about the appearance.
same here. front plates are required in ohio until some time next year (they just recently changed it). i have tried 3 times to run cars with no plates and all 3 times i got pulled over in the city next to me. luckily they were all fix-it-type tickets.

the rennline one does not interfere with the sensors. had it on my car since early 2017.

·
Registered
463 Posts
here is the best shot i have of mine on this machine, parked next to @Viffermike 's. it ever so slightly blocks a little of the turn/running light but no problems with the sensors.

here is one showing a slightly different angle.

IMG_4374.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Rennline on my Macan. I just wish it could easily come off like the Millworks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Personally, I'd rather drill the bumper and mount one than use the tow hook adapters. Think the offcenter plate is more visually jarring and ruins the front aesthetics fare more. Just me though.
I went w/ the Skene Designs mount. Works great. Super strong.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
here is the best shot i have of mine on this machine, parked next to @Viffermike 's. it ever so slightly blocks a little of the turn/running light but no problems with the sensors.:LOL:

View attachment 23913
Helluvan ad for aloft, eh? :LOL:

OP: Check out this 90-post thread in the Exterior subforum. There's more discussion on this issue there.

Bottom line: Enforcement of what is almost always a state law (only exceptions: Diplomatic or U.S. Govt. plates) is nearly totally dependent on the attitude of the local agencies with jurisdiction. So: Do as the natives do. Outside of the issuing state, you can do whatever you want: no agency has jurisdiction.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Personally, I'd rather drill the bumper and mount one than use the tow hook adapters. Think the offcenter plate is more visually jarring and ruins the front aesthetics fare more. Just me though.
I went w/ the Skene Designs mount. Works great. Super strong.
At the risk of taking on the wrath of everyone who uses an off-center license plate mount, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Wine.O. For myself, driving a Porsche with the beauty of its front end degraded by a license plate installed where it was never intended would gnaw at me way more than driving one with holes in the bumper that are invisible behind the plate where the car's designers designed it to be.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
At the risk of taking on the wrath of everyone who uses an off-center license plate mount, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Wine.O. For myself, driving a Porsche with the beauty of its front end degraded by a license plate installed where it was never intended would gnaw at me way more than driving one with holes in the bumper that are invisible behind the plate where the car's designers designed it to be.
Alas! The designers designed the bumper for the Euro plates (long and narrow), taking care of the problem long time ago.

I believe in the UK you can buy stick-on long plates and not drill the bumper. In Italy they have this tiny front plate, so small that I wouldn't hesitate to mount it with 3M double sided tape.

Here we are stuck with a plate that at least aesthetically is not compatible with the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alas! The designers designed the bumper for the Euro plates (long and narrow), taking care of the problem long time ago.

I believe in the UK you can buy stick-on long plates and not drill the bumper. In Italy they have this tiny front plate, so small that I wouldn't hesitate to mount it with 3M double sided tape.

Here we are stuck with a plate that at least aesthetically is not compatible with the car.
DIHouston, I don't think I follow your first point. In what way was the bumper designed to accommodate the long and narrow plate any different than US plates? They both look unsightly (to me in any case.) And in fact, it seems European owners are working just as hard not to mount it as intended. My point is mounting the plate off-center (not to mention not conforming with the curve of the bumper) only serves to bring more attention to the plate and how bad it looks on the front of these cars.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
DIHouston, I don't think I follow your first point. In what way was the bumper designed to accommodate the long and narrow plate any different than US plates? They both look unsightly (to me in any case.) And in fact, it seems European owners are working just as hard not to mount it as intended. My point is mounting the plate off-center (not to mention not conforming with the curve of the bumper) only serves to bring more attention to the plate and how bad it looks on the front of these cars.
Horses for courses, I suppose...

But to me, this is more unsightly

than this, which in turn is more unsightly than

this

I think that the wide EU plates fit the 718 better

21 - 40 of 45 Posts