Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
@DriveInHouston @Third :
U.S. plates are 6 inches tall -- about 152mm. That standard has existed since the early 1900s, IIRC.
Most EU plates are 110mm tall.

Both jurisdictions have alternate rules for plate application on vehicles that have a space designed for a specific market -- like the U.S.' 6-inch-by-12-inch standard.
In the EU, most get a plate smaller than the 110-by-520mm standard to fit the U.S.-standard aperture on a U.S.-made car.
in the U.S., most get add-on brackets, most of which require drilling, to make the U.S.-standard plate work.

The U.S. solution sucks. The EU solution rocks.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
@DriveInHouston @Third :
U.S. plates are 6 inches tall -- about 152mm. That standard has existed since the early 1900s, IIRC.
Most EU plates are 110mm tall.

Both jurisdictions have alternate rules for plate application on vehicles that have a space designed for a specific market -- like the U.S.' 6-inch-by-12-inch standard.
In the EU, most get a plate smaller than the 110-by-520mm standard to fit the U.S.-standard aperture on a U.S.-made car.
in the U.S., most get add-on brackets, most of which require drilling, to make the U.S.-standard plate work.

The U.S. solution sucks. The EU solution rocks.
I violently agree!...:D

Even the Skene Design solution (which I use) which does not require drilling the face of the bumper, will interfere with the airflow of the center radiator in the GTS.

And to think that until after WWII Texas had shorter plates than the 6" they mandate today...:mad:

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Horses for courses, I suppose...

But to me, this is more unsightly

View attachment 24009

than this, which in turn is more unsightly than
View attachment 24008

this

View attachment 24010

I think that the wide EU plates fit the 718 better

Ahhh! I couldn't agree with you more, DIH. I must've misunderstood your earlier response. I think you and I agree mounting a US plate off-center doesn't help the situation, in fact it only makes it worse. And I agree, the EU plate is less offensive looking than the US plate.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts