Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the DSC Sport controller on their PASM equipped cars?

https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc-sport-v3-controller/

Lots of positive feedback about it on other models, particularly 997. It seems the main benefit comes from the DSC controller updating damper settings individually based on a number of factors, vs. stock PASM which does not apply as fine-tuned control.

I assume the PASM has gotten more sophisticated since 997, so curious how well this works on 718 vs. 997 or older cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did. I like it a lot. Car is very confy and super responsive. I installed right away since I had it from a previous 991tts. Got it reprogrammed and installed 2-3 days after getting the 718gts.
Good to know, will put that one in the 'do want' column then. Are you pretty happy with the default programming or did you make any adjustments?

Update: Just ordered one. No track expenses during winter, best season to mod!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know how it actually works? Why it is better than the OEM programming in the 718 GTS?
From what I can tell reading some 911 forums and their website the stock PASM controller does not use as much of the dampers' range in a given setting . The DSC applies much more fine grained control to each damper. From their own site:

"DSC Sport sends a signal to each individual corner to control the damping level based on g-force, vehicle speed, brake/throttle input, and more (specific inputs vary by vehicle and package)".

Since you're only swapping out the controller I imagine there's no reason Porsche couldn't have done it, but maybe diminishing returns to keep developing the suspension tune this way for them.

Another quote from their FAQ:

"Stock Normal mode is 20% stiffness. Stock Sport mode is 80% stiffness. DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness. DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100%. DSC is active so it uses those ranges in each mode to the level of load to command individual shocks.

Some advantages of our standard map are:
1) during cornering the front inside damper is always softer to allow climbing up to inside track curbing without upsetting the chassis.
2) during hard braking the front damper compression and rear damper rebound increase to help reduce dive to improve front and rear tire grip.
3) during initial cornering the damping starts out soft and then stiffen up relative to the amount of g-force to load the tires more progressively."

I was honestly pretty skeptical but it seems to have pretty good feedback on 911 forums and I talked to another friend who tracks with his and likes it.

I'll be at NJMP-T in April so if the swap is relatively easy I'll try to run with/without and see how it feels.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
They look at more sensors and the CPU is faster, so in theory it provides better responsiveness across a wider variety of conditions. Plus, Randy Probst likes 'em!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Every other function control by the wheel mode knob will work except for PASM adjustment. Once you install the DSC V3 adjusting it is done exclusively by the console button/switch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the controller installed yesterday. So far driving on the rough roads of NJ/NY it's a noticeable improvement on the street, particularly in sport mode which I would never use on the street around here normally. Will test out on track in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interested in this.

So to be clear. with sport chrono, when put in sport + the PASM is no longer activated?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interested in this.

So to be clear. with sport chrono, when put in sport + the PASM is no longer activated?
I don't have SC so can't confirm. Does SC have some affect on the PASM settings? For me I just toggle comfort and sport suspension the way I normally would without the DSC it just has different programming and is independent of toggling sport mode.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Interested in this.

I thought that PSM would go off once, so looked closely the next time I put it in Sport+ and the Sport PASM came on but the PSM didn't go off. With SC you get a third level of PSM called Sport PSM by holding the PSM button down for 2 seconds (according to the manual). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Recived mine today, but cant find any installation instruction for 718 GTS, where is the modul located in the car?
The mowie they have only shows the old Boxter..
Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Recived mine today, but cant find any installation instruction for 718 GTS, where is the modul located in the car?
The mowie they have only shows the old Boxter..
Thanks!
It's in the frunk on the driver's side, you have to remove some of the lining at the top and you'll see it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Every other function control by the wheel mode knob will work except for PASM adjustment. Once you install the DSC V3 adjusting it is done exclusively by the console button/switch.
Hi,
I am from Italy, and i am owner of a 718 cayman base with SC, PASM -10mm, PDK.
If the console button/switch (on/off position only i think) is the only mode to change the PASM setting with DSC V3, how can i pass from normal to sport and sport+ ?

·
Registered
458 Posts
digging up this old thread.
@peaedvard ; @faizaan2000 @aklepikov and anyone else using the DSC Controller

I'm looking for some feedback on the DSC Controller for track use. (not autocross)
I don't really care about street improvements (although that would be a secondary benefit)

I have seen some reviews that considered the change to be too soft.
One in particular (autocross) removed & sold it.

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
digging up this old thread.
@peaedvard ; @faizaan2000 @aklepikov and anyone else using the DSC Controller

I'm looking for some feedback on the DSC Controller for track use. (not autocross)
I don't really care about street improvements (although that would be a secondary benefit)

I have seen some reviews that considered the change to be too soft.
One in particular (autocross) removed & sold it.

Thanks
I'm no suspension expert, but personally, after putting almost 30 track days on 12 different tracks with the DSC I've been happy with it. I think that it noticeably improves the overall performance of the car most on bumpy tracks as the default programming in sport seems to handle curbing, bumps, or anything that will unsettle the car much better. Without DSC comfort drove a little floaty, and sport was just everything stiffened up. With DSC I feel as though sport mode didn't make a dramatic difference in ideal conditions (like Watkins Glen) as much as it improved performance on bad tracks. On very fast transitions the car does still feel a bit soft, but I don't think that's due to the DSC as much as relatively soft springs.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts