Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just got mine installed this evening. Impressions after I've driven it a bit more.

In case anyone else is curious, I emailed DSC Sport and asked about their alignment suggestions for a 718, since they didn't have them listed on their website. They got back to me very quickly with the following suggestions:

Front camber -1.5 deg (+/- 0.1)
Front toe +0.5mm per wheel (+/- 0.1)
Rear camber -1.7 deg (+/- 0.1)
Rear toe +2.5mm per wheel ( + 0.2)

My front end was fairly far from this spec, and they best my local Porsche indy could get out of it was -1.4° (which is close enough).

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Look forward to hearing your impressions.

My understanding is that the range of damping available in the DSC is a lot wider, so in Sport setting it can go softer like in normal setting, but at the same time firmer depending on the conditions. I do find on high speed sweepers my car with PASM-S is sometimes a little floaty. Slower corners is pretty much near perfect but would be nice to leave the car in Sport PASM all the time so the DSC could be useful for that purpose in terms of maintaining more comfort in that setting.

I wondered what sensors they are using in the DSC as I read that the 718 came with an additional accellerometer on the front axle which presumably the DSC will ignore given I believe the damping map is based on a 981 like all after-market suspension systems for the 718.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wondered what sensors they are using in the DSC as I read that the 718 came with an additional accellerometer on the front axle which presumably the DSC will ignore given I believe the damping map is based on a 981 like all after-market suspension systems for the 718.
From DSC website
All 991, 981, and 718 models are Velocity compatible, made possible by the factory four wheel ride height sensors now equipped on all models. Velocity tuning allows adjustment based on the velocity of the piston rod movement, more accurately tuning the chassis to road surface changes. This feature provides a new dimension of tuning that maximizes both performance and comfort
I'm really waffling back and forth on this product.
None of the reports I've read state that it's a game changer.

I think the biggest issue restricting effectiveness are the slow (60ms) acting dampers.
I think faster acting dampers like Tractive ($$$) are required to make this a game changer

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm no suspension expert, but personally, after putting almost 30 track days on 12 different tracks with the DSC I've been happy with it. I think that it noticeably improves the overall performance of the car most on bumpy tracks as the default programming in sport seems to handle curbing, bumps, or anything that will unsettle the car much better. Without DSC comfort drove a little floaty, and sport was just everything stiffened up. With DSC I feel as though sport mode didn't make a dramatic difference in ideal conditions (like Watkins Glen) as much as it improved performance on bad tracks. On very fast transitions the car does still feel a bit soft, but I don't think that's due to the DSC as much as relatively soft springs.
I agree with you. I tried the DSC v3 module with the original shock absorbers on 3 tracks: Mugello, Cremona Circuit, Tazio Nuvolari Circuit. In my opinion, given the same weather and tire conditions, it improves by 1.5-2.5 seconds per lap. I ordered the bilstein b16 damptronic and it should arrive in mid-March. I will test with various DSC configuration files and then write here on the site. Regards,
Luca

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
532 Posts
...I think the biggest issue restricting effectiveness are the slow (60ms) acting dampers.
I think faster acting dampers like Tractive ($$$) are required to make this a game changer
So are you saying the PASM is only updating the dampers at 60ms? I've not been able to find such details. My thought is that it is the controller that dictates how fast the magnetic dampers react rather than the actual damper themselves meaning both PASM and Tractive dampers should be able to react at the same speed. Although I suspect the range of damping in the Tractive dampers will be much wider with their different valving, aside from being a stiffer and inverted design. If the actuator in the Tractive damper is also faster again then that would be an added benefit but my thinking is that part is more an analogue system.

I know DSC claims that it can update every 6ms so that is a massive difference if it is true. But like DSC I'm sure the OEM PASM box is using the data from the 4 level sensors, accellerometers, braking, etc. There just seems to be some wizzardry behind what DSC is doing to make the improvements.

Certainly from the feedback from the track guys there is a big improvement which makes me wonder why DSC can do this better than Porsche?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree with you. I tried the DSC v3 module with the original shock absorbers on 3 tracks: Mugello, Cremona Circuit, Tazio Nuvolari Circuit. In my opinion, given the same weather and tire conditions, it improves by 1.5-2.5 seconds per lap. I ordered the bilstein b16 damptronic and it should arrive in mid-March. I will test with various DSC configuration files and then write here on the site. Regards,
Luca
I was also looking at the b16 damptronic but read that it is kind of harsh ride. Maybe a DSC controller will improve it. Do you know if DSC has a damptronic specific map?

Also why didn't you go for DSCs matched Tractive-RT dampers/coilovers? Seems like the best solution for DSC.

Anyway, really looking forward to hearing your review.

·
Registered
344 Posts
So are you saying the PASM is only updating the dampers at 60ms? I've not been able to find such details. My thought is that it is the controller that dictates how fast the magnetic dampers react rather than the actual damper themselves meaning both PASM and Tractive dampers should be able to react at the same speed. Although I suspect the range of damping in the Tractive dampers will be much wider with their different valving, aside from being a stiffer and inverted design. If the actuator in the Tractive damper is also faster again then that would be an added benefit but my thinking is that part is more an analogue system.

I know DSC claims that it can update every 6ms so that is a massive difference if it is true. But like DSC I'm sure the OEM PASM box is using the data from the 4 level sensors, accellerometers, braking, etc. There just seems to be some wizzardry behind what DSC is doing to make the improvements.

Certainly from the feedback from the track guys there is a big improvement which makes me wonder why DSC can do this better than Porsche?
Forget where I saw the actual numbers, but will update when located.

Basically the DSC controller is sending a digital signal.
The internals of the Tractive include a solonoid which controls a valve.
It's the reaction time of the valve that is different between OE and Tractive.

EDIT:
Here is one link with general reference.
...still looking for the other one.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts