Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post here..

I currently have a 2016 E63 S and thinking about trading it in for a base 718. The E63 has been giving me some small problems lately and thinking about trading it in before warranty ends in August.

I know absolutely completely different type of car.. but I've always been interested in the cayman.

Anybody else have experience going from a luxury sedan to sports car? any regrets?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Thats to different animals!
You need an S or GTS if you want the same speed and you can forgett about the AMG rumble (got to love it)
But what you do get is a nimble little gokart that can manage corner speeds the E63 only can dream of.

So it all depends on what you want and want you need :)
Also Porsche options aint cheap....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Apples and oranges.

The AMG has just about twice the power of the base Cayman. It is over $40k more. Weighs around 1500 lb more. Plus a 50% better power-to-weight ratio.

Unless the superior agility and handling of the base Cayman are your sole criteria I'd suggest getting either the S or GTS. That will close the power gap.

Edit:

You will obviously lose most of the practicality and somewhat better comfort of the AMG. If that's important to you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi all,

First post here..

I currently have a 2016 E63 S and thinking about trading it in for a base 718. The E63 has been giving me some small problems lately and thinking about trading it in before warranty ends in August.

I know absolutely completely different type of car.. but I've always been interested in the cayman.

Anybody else have experience going from a luxury sedan to sports car? any regrets?
I went from F80 M3 to Cayman S. I'd recommend an S/GTS, once you get used to that kind of power and torque it's hard to go back, that's why 981 was off the table for me, and the E63S is on another level entirely.

No regrets, love the Cayman, have never missed the M3 since. I test drove everything else I was considering, the only car that I enjoyed *slightly* more was a Lotus Evora 400 but for me the Cayman was a way more practical choice since it's a road trip car and the Lotus had no storage.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Integrated feeling with the car as a driver, tossability, really experiencing the road are why I am on my 5th Cayman. I have owned M3s, S4s, Corvettes, GTIs, Golf Rs, GLIs, et al. Once I dscovered the Cayman............no contest.....for my particular wants. But as others noted, it is what your specific list contains and each of us has a somewhat unique list.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the only car that I enjoyed *slightly* more was a Lotus Evora 400 but for me the Cayman was a way more practical choice since it's a road trip car and the Lotus had no storage.
I have always loved Lotus, but selected the GTS because of reliability concerns. Part of me wants to say "screw reliability and just do it", but the other part of me gets enraged when mechanical devices don't work properly. I don't like messing with the second guy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I am new here but have been on other Porsche forums for 13 years, and on Ferrarichat for 15 years. I am only saying this because what I am going to say can all be backed up by posts on those forums (On Ferrarichat there is a thread just about Carnut's cars), I just bought Porsche #43 and car number 471 (that I can remember). and currently own two 911's (including a one of a kind 650hp 2304lb 997S that I have over 350K invested in), a 718 Cayman S (pdk my girlfriend drives it) and a base 718 gearshift car (I will use for the track) In the last year and a half I have owned or still own (other than the 4 Porsche's) a Evora 400 (gearshift) Alfa 4C, AMG GTS, M4, Ferrari 360, 430, and California T (the T is modified to 488 power), and a Miata RF. I also own luxury cars (like S Class), and SUV's (RR supercharged V8, AMG GLE, and a Jeep). I am telling you this because my cars must have a purpose, and I would say to you OP, what is the purpose for the car you want to have. The car you now have is a torque monster, you will not get that feeling from any Cayman. I obviously like Porsche's but you might want to take test drive in a used GTS, mine is not stock (and stored away with my other summer cars right now) but that car has been misunderstood and underappreciated (it won best handling car in 2015 test, and on the gran tour it went around their track with a pro driver faster than a GT3), and it does take a bit more skill (AMG traction control turns on too quickly so to get the most out of it you need to turn it off), to drive it then a Cayman, but once you master it, it is amazing and you will not miss the power or the sound. Just keep in mind most people would not even mention the AMG E and the Cayman in the same sentence they that much different, and to get the creature comforts you now have, you will a pretty heavily optioned car, and you still probably not have everything you have it the E. I would take some time a drive a few cars, especially if you have never owned a two seater before. Good luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am coming from a 2017 Shelby gt 350. When it got slammed into and wrecked, I went straight to the cayman. I knew I would have to get the GTS in order to get the power I would need. I knew the sound would be something to get used to. When I heard the sales manager start a GTS and put it in sport , I knew It would do the trick. And it will keep it's value better than any mustang. Even a Mercedes has less resale value. I never even drove one before I ordered it. I think you would want more power , but the over all car would be awesome and you would love it. You can always get a stage 1 or 2 tune on a base car and get more boost. Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recommend getting both a base 718 manual AND a macan S. The total cost is in the range of a low level 911. Both are fabulous cars and the combination covers my needs - quality, maneuverability and functionality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recommend getting both a base 718 manual AND a macan S. The total cost is in the range of a low level 911. Both are fabulous cars and the combination covers my needs - quality, maneuverability and functionality.
This is exactly what I have except my 718 is PDK. Love both cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts