Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and thank you for the forum. I'm working on a 718BS build; here is today's state of the art:

PJW6GG97

I'm an ethnic Italian, and life long Ferrari fan. Grew up despising German vehicles because of what the 917 did to the 512.

Three Ducati's, one Aprilia, and a 1981 Fiat Spider later, and I'm almost completely converted over to German vehicles. Each Ducati was a bigger piece of crap than the one before, finishing up with a gigantic piece of crap. I turned it into a 2016 BMW R1200RT, and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself in motorcycling. 17 months and 19k miles in, I continue to rave about the bike.

I figured I would get a Ferrari 360. But as I was driving my 2003 Corvette back and forth to the dealer, 37 miles away, this summer, I came to appreciate how much reliability and accessibility in my vehicles means to me. An embarrassing fact, but a fact. I like to both drive my vehicles a fair amount, and maintain them at a high level. A $100,000 360, with the nearest dealer 240 miles away, simply would not work for me.

But imagine the new Boxster I could have. So I'm working on that. I considered a new Corvette GS, but I feel like I'm ready for a European mid engine.

It looks like a have a nice dealer 47 miles away, and I've had several nice discussions with an SA, but I'll have some questions here to supplement that source of information.

Many thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too was looking at the Corvette GS before I purchased my 718 Boxster S. What decided it for me was the poor way I was treated at the Chevrolet dealership. I do miss the rumble of an American V8, but the Porsche is more refined and the mid-engine chassis is better balanced.

I looked at your configuration... Love the Miami Blue! Colors are very personal, but... I'd worry about the Graphite Blue interior with the Miami Blue. Did you consider the Black/Chalk full leather? It's only an extra $430 and removes any risk of the blues clashing.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
"East Tennessean Seeks Refuge From Italian Vehicles"

-- I love this title....really says it all! I too have had a few Italian cars and they actually make my British stuff look solid and reliable. ;)

At one point I considered the notion of a used Ferrari 360. But then I thought: "used Ferrari?" What am I thinking?!

My Cayman, a base model with PDK, is on order. We'll collect it in December at the PEC/Atlanta and drive it home to NJ.

.....I too was looking at the Corvette GS before I purchased my 718 Boxster S. What decided it for me was the poor way I was treated at the Chevrolet dealership....../QUOTE]

It's funny; I'm sure this can vary.
In my case the local Chevy dealer was super nice and offered a fantastic deal on a new 'Vette. Meanwhile, I ended up going to a number of Porsche dealers before I found someone even interested in ordering a base car......I very nearly gave up. It was a very disappointing start.
(but I should say, I ended up pleased with the sales guy from a semi-local dealer, so all is well now).

At this point, I'm really pleased with all I've heard about the 718 and am really looking forward to ownership. But if the Corvette had offered a dual-clutch transaxle, this would have been a much harder choice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm . . . . "blues clashing". Looks like this will have to be the subject of my first non-introductory thread. Or maybe it would be wise to start on something easy and more objective.

I thought that different blues, while not matching, would "go together", or coordinate. I never thought that two versions of a single color could clash - unless, perhaps, they were both very intense, or one was metallic and the other solid. Graphite Blue is not an intense color to me. And the Graphite Blue Sport-Tex is less blue, and more neutral, than the Graphite Blue leather.

Your picture looks very nice, but it seems to render the Chalk considerably more off-white than it really looks, and that is a lot of square footage to keep clean.

The challenge for me is that I want to avoid either black or very dark interiors (like agate gray), and the very light solid chalk. So I'm looking for a "medium" interior, if you will, that goes with the super intense Miami Blue. I thought the Graphite Blue/Chalk was a solution. Now . . .

I will say that two SA's have gagged at the thought of putting a blue top on a Miami Blue Boxster.

·
892 Posts
[QUOTE I too have had a few Italian cars and they actually make my British stuff look solid and reliable. ;)[/QUOTE]

If only that wasn't the truth, but anything that can make a British car look reliable has to be really bad. A great many moons ago one of my earliest cars was an old Alfasud 1.5 Ti Green Cloverleaf (always been a bit of a petrol head). I absolutely loved the car at the time but the electrics in particular were absolutely dreadful (though rust protection wasn't a particularly strong point either). The electrical contacts for the rear lights were set in the boot/trunk lid & were wired to spring loaded pins. The opposing set of contacts were set in the bodywork & it relied on the two sets pressing against each other when the boot/trunk was closed for continuity. Except the contacts in the body were held in place by what was or certainly seemed to be bitumen. Every time it was a hot day the bitumen would melt & the rear lights would simply stop working as the body contacts sunk due to the spring pressure of the opposing contact pins. The thing is we don't get very hot weather in the U.K & if it happened here, then I very much doubt that in Italy there was one unmodified car with working rear lights. After visiting the dealer for an initial repair & then being stopped a couple of times after the same thing happened I modified mine too. I suppose I was just lucky not to get the car rear ended. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Hmm . . . . "blues clashing". Looks like this will have to be the subject of my first non-introductory thread. Or maybe it would be wise to start on something easy and more objective.

I thought that different blues, while not matching, would "go together", or coordinate. I never thought that two versions of a single color could clash - unless, perhaps, they were both very intense, or one was metallic and the other solid. Graphite Blue is not an intense color to me. And the Graphite Blue Sport-Tex is less blue, and more neutral, than the Graphite Blue leather.

Your picture looks very nice, but it seems to render the Chalk considerably more off-white than it really looks, and that is a lot of square footage to keep clean.

The challenge for me is that I want to avoid either black or very dark interiors (like agate gray), and the very light solid chalk. So I'm looking for a "medium" interior, if you will, that goes with the super intense Miami Blue. I thought the Graphite Blue/Chalk was a solution. Now . . .

I will say that two SA's have gagged at the thought of putting a blue top on a Miami Blue Boxster.
My ex, who was a bit of a designer and colour expert told me often :laugh: that contrast was MUCH easier to manage and usually ended up looking better than "close but not identical". (She wouldn't let me wear light blue shirts with faded jeans.)

Of course, while colour of your Boxster will be important (and personal), the performance will impress.

Greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
FWIW, I still have a PDF file of a 718 catalogue. In it is a chart listing Porsche's "recommended" and "highly recommended" interior/exterior colour combos.

For Miami Blue, only the black, black / black sport Tex, and the black / chalk interiors are highly recommended, if at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't mix miami blue with other blue colors. I saw such a car some weeks ago, it destroys the look of miami blue.
Miami blue works best with black. Black interior (Sport-Tex is not so dark and boring like black leather), black top (avoid blue top) and black wheels.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oy . . . I'll come clean. I really don't like Graphite Blue, at all (particularly for the exterior - I know it's wildly popular; maybe I'm too old), and the interior in my build was admittedly rather busy. I went on to add the leather package to get rid of the shiny metal trim in the doors, dash, and console. And I did not look forward to a Graphite Blue steering wheel staring me in the face. And then I noticed that the front of the roll bars is finished in Graphite Blue, and the combined appearance of the chalk seat tops, Graphite Blue roll bars, and aluminum look roll bar backs, started looking busy. One of my "principles" is that interior colors need to stay in the interior.

I justified the Graphite Blue/Chalk because I really like Miami Blue, and I felt it "worked", and I do firmly believe that my sports cars should be "fun" with respect to colors. I don't think I can rely on pictures on my computer monitor to render the appearance accurately, and I'm open to the notion that I had ventured into too much "fun".

I meant what I said about Black718's (you've got to worry at least a little about someone named "Black718" advising you have color problems) picture looking nice. Most of what I've read about chalk leather suggests that it is not a nightmare to keep clean. And it's not like I wouldn't have any of it to clean in the Graphite Blue/Chalk build. I'm incorporating this into the configurator.

OliverK - if I PM'd you my e-mail, would you please be willing and able to share that 718 catalogue PDF with me?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The "Leather Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior" for $1,020 will get rid of the shiny metal trim in the doors, dash, and console.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oy . . . I'll come clean. I really don't like Graphite Blue, at all (particularly for the exterior - I know it's wildly popular; maybe I'm too old), and the interior in my build was admittedly rather busy. I went on to add the leather package to get rid of the shiny metal trim in the doors, dash, and console. And I did not look forward to a Graphite Blue steering wheel staring me in the face. And then I noticed that the front of the roll bars is finished in Graphite Blue, and the combined appearance of the chalk seat tops, Graphite Blue roll bars, and aluminum look roll bar backs, started looking busy. One of my "principles" is that interior colors need to stay in the interior.

I justified the Graphite Blue/Chalk because I really like Miami Blue, and I felt it "worked", and I do firmly believe that my sports cars should be "fun" with respect to colors. I don't think I can rely on pictures on my computer monitor to render the appearance accurately, and I'm open to the notion that I had ventured into too much "fun".

I meant what I said about Black718's (you've got to worry at least a little about someone named "Black718" advising you have color problems) picture looking nice. Most of what I've read about chalk leather suggests that it is not a nightmare to keep clean. And it's not like I wouldn't have any of it to clean in the Graphite Blue/Chalk build. I'm incorporating this into the configurator.

OliverK - if I PM'd you my e-mail, would you please be willing and able to share that 718 catalogue PDF with me?
When I ordered my 718 I went back and forth on color and interior. I had pretty much had either black or grey vehicles and I thought this time I should change. I started with Guards Red--then went to Carmine--to Graphite Blue--then back to Black. I just couldn't talk myself into a brighter more flashy color. After I thought I had everything settled I stopped by the dealer and I saw a GT Silver Boxster parked right next to a Black Boxster. When I saw the GT Silver in person in the natural light--that was it. I am really happy with the color and I even went with the Black/Bordeaux Red interior--flashy for me. ha ha

I guess my point is that you really should look at the colors in person if possible. The configurator doesn't do many of the colors justice. Hey it caused me to choose something different. Gt Silver is not that big of a leap--but it's not black.;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "Leather Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior" for $1,020 will get rid of the shiny metal trim in the doors, dash, and console.
Roger that; it's in my previous post. The metallic trim seems a little less of a problem with Black/Chalk, but it may get the hook in favor of the leather package just the same.

Or . . . or . . . with Black/Chalk - replace the metallic trim with carbon fiber!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Black718 - not enough posts to quote your post. WRT the brochure you provided:

Thank you so much - my brochure does not seem to have that. Very useful.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey Duegatti, former Ferrari 328 GTS owner/driver here, and I hear you. Used to think the ultimate mid-engined sports car would be a 246 Dino body on my Boxster S (987) platform.

But I don't know, the 718 has raised the game so far (both from design and performance standpoint) that F355 and 360 Spyder are the fair comparisons now....
Porsche 718 Forum - ZuffenHouseRules's Album: The Black Album

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OliverK,

I assume the catalogue that your are referring to is the same as the brochure Black718 provided? If so, you are off the hook with my thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
638 Posts
My reading has led me to believe that a 718 Boxster would eviscerate a 360 Spider.
Not eviscerate exactly....

Adjusting for the advantage PDK gives the 718 S on track and timing trap, probably a close match to the 360 Challenge Stradale (which on paper has a 75hp and 300 lb. advantage...though the Porsche likely much closer in true hp). Ferrari 360 CS vs Porsche 718 Cayman S - FastestLaps.com

I'm old enough in my exotic car references that just the idea of running with a 360 CS is rather mind-blowing....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts