1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still can't get those pictures out of my head, the rolled over Boxster that
was re-posted last week.

After getting into a friends 992 the other week, I noticed he had an emergency
hammer in the door pocket, this was new to me, but after thinking about it, it made sense.

Also, today I was scouting the internet for older Porsches and noticed in a couple, they had them fixed
to the centre console.
So, I think it would be wise for me to get one, but I would like it in a secure place and not loose
and I wouldn't like it to be on show, although that is the best place for it I know.

I'd be interested in any thoughts...

Bicycle part Font Tool Carmine Human leg

·
Registered
917 Posts
it makes sense to have it secured (console or glove box) - since in a roll over, anything loose in the cabin will end up wherever gravity sends it...

so it could on the floor, under or behind a seat and you couldn't find it when you needed it

·
Registered
90 Posts
The post where a 718 Cayman caught fire as they were driving and the driver was able to escape without harm made me wonder how things might've turned out different if the tensioner had tightened and the driver was unable to undo the seatbelt. After that I bought one of these:

Hopefully if the worst happens, I won't burn to death.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Five or six years ago we purchased an "Original Life Hammer" (two orange and two yellow glow in the dark) from amazon to place in each of our cars. They are all in the door pockets. But, given the comment above about things moving around in an accident, I might consider using Velcro to attach each one more securely. Keeping one in the center console seems like a good idea.

Reactions: westy

·
Registered
196 Posts
I still can't get those pictures out of my head, the rolled over Boxster that
was re-posted last week.

After getting into a friends 992 the other week, I noticed he had an emergency
hammer in the door pocket, this was new to me, but after thinking about it, it made sense.

Also, today I was scouting the internet for older Porsches and noticed in a couple, they had them fixed
to the centre console.
So, I think it would be wise for me to get one, but I would like it in a secure place and not loose
and I wouldn't like it to be on show, although that is the best place for it I know.

I'd be interested in any thoughts...

View attachment 41883
where was that "rolled over Boxster" thread?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oh wow, yes carry both of these, a parachute for if you go off a cliff and a years supply.of iodine tablets for two people to protect in an emergency nuclear fallout. I would hate to be trapped in my boxster and develop radiation induced medullary thyroid carcinoma

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where was that "rolled over Boxster" thread?

Here 🔼 post #8.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Here 🔼 post #8.
wow... thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to have something like this in your car. Most drivers neglect the possibility anything can happen to their cars and do not pay special attention to the safety tools they have inside. I have a hammer like this one, an extended emergency pack, a powerful vont flashlight with a 2X battery, and even a knife in my car just to be prepared for whatever might happen. I don’t think it will save me 100%, but it will give me more chances to survive. It’s better to be prepared than not. And I teach this principle to my kids, too, because one day it might save their lives.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I agree having a hammer designed to break auto glass is a smart thing to have and it is certainly not overkill. In south Florida there is a ubiquitous network of drainage canals and it is not at all uncommon to hear about cars that end up in the canals for a myriad of reasons. I usually keep a tool designed to break glass in the door pocket of both cars. I also have in the back of my mind the first thing I will do if I find myself going into a canal is hit both window down buttons. Over the almost 50 years I have lived here it has just been too common to read about these type events to not take the risk seriously.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree having a hammer designed to break auto glass is a smart thing to have and it is certainly not overkill. In south Florida there is a ubiquitous network of drainage canals and it is not at all uncommon to hear about cars that end up in the canals for a myriad of reasons. I usually keep a tool designed to break glass in the door pocket of both cars. I also have in the back of my mind the first thing I will do if I find myself going into a canal is hit both window down buttons. Over the almost 50 years I have lived here it has just been too common to read about these type events to not take the risk seriously.
+1 on window break tools.

One of the stranger phenomenon that happened during my 14 year tenure in South Florida was what you describe. The seemingly frequent new stories covering 911 calls from panicked drivers that went into canals. They got on the phone instead of getting out of the car with loved ones and alot didn't make it. Call 911 after you get out or while you're getting out, not instead of getting out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As I was reading this thread I thought back to my 25 years in law enforcement and the maybe two accidents I ever went to where the vehicle landed on its roof and I looked for alternatives tot he giant emergency hammer. I carry. pocket knife everywhere and they sell those with seatbelt cutters and glass breakers built in but they had their disadvantages. Mainly the glass breaker is on the end of the knife that sits at the top of your pants. They're sharp and they will scratch or cut you or it'll scratch your vehicle or anything else it rubs against. As I researched further I found this:

Seems like it might work out pretty well. It can plug into a 12V outlet and it does double duty as a USB slot for charging your phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts