Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Been a while since I've seen a track day tire thread updated.

What setups/sizes are you currently running on your 718s for the track? What do you think about your setups? Need to make a purchase shortly of some tires for upcoming track days.

I'm on a 19" setup personally, but looking for a comprehensive review here of other sizes too that maybe can help others with their selection.

My latest setup that I'm looking to replace:
255/35/19 F - Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
285/35/19 R - Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R

My personal review on these tires is pretty good, they have nice functional grip. However they have really heavy wear, in an uneven way, when pushed hard. I run 2 degrees camber front and 1.9 rear (front tarett plates and rear factory max), and while I might be able to dial some of this wear out with more camber, this car is primarily a street/weekend car so I don't want to push it any farther.

I'm only really getting 2 track weekends out of these and I feel like I'd be a little happier if I could get 3. Maybe it's my driving, I don't know. The issue is I'm having some trouble finding tires that are around these sizes. I want to maintain the F/R width split ratio as closely as possible and also run wider than factory.

Looking forward to your inputs!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check out the Hankook Ventus R-S4. They are generally considered to be extremely well wearing (literally twice as long as most other tires, including the RE-71R), at only slightly less capability. I bought a set of used wheels and tires this past year, and only had one day's experience with them. According to the previous owner, he had 10 sessions on them before I bought them, and I put another 10 sessions on them. The key difference though, was I was sharing the car, and we were in back to back run groups. Which meant the tires were tortured by effectively four 50 minute enduros in one day. They never really got greasy, and wear still looks pretty good.

It may not be the fastest tire available, but it's certainly a good cost-effective choice, that still performs well

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also run the hankook S4s. Have done three track weekends on them and they have a lot more to go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where are you guys buying the R-S4s and what sizes are you running?
I’m on a set of titan S5s, so 18/35/255 and 285. Also since I know you’re in Austin from a different thread, are you tracking your car in town? I’ll be at the edge event on the 12th.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My track wheels are OZ Racing Alleggerita HLT (18"), so I'm also running 255/35R18 and 285/35R18, which do have a smaller outside diameter than OEM btw. That effectively lowers the gearing for faster acceleration at the expense of top speed. As a side note, it does work even with the -20mm PASM Sport on my GTS, but I have to be extra extra careful with exiting my driveway due to front lip clearance.

As for inventory, there might be lower inventory this time of year, but try calling some tire shops (i.e. Discount Tire, or whatever is available in your region) to see if they can special order anything.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh I forgot to say that I get them from Price Cobb/tire rack. He’s awesome and will deliver them to your house. Former les mannes winner, very cool dude. Happy to send his contact info your way.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Oh I forgot to say that I get them from Price Cobb/tire rack. He’s awesome and will deliver them to your house. Former les mannes winner, very cool dude. Happy to send his contact info your way.
Heh, a fellow franchisee! (y)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I ran the RE-71Rs in 235/45R18 and 265/45R18 on APEX SM-10s (8.5" and 10"). I managed to do fourteen autocrosses and four track days last year. The tires were down to 3 or 4/32 by the end, but the wear was very even across the entire surface of the tire. I didn't even have LCAs or camber plates; I just ran what I could get out of the stock suspension adjustments (~-1.5° camber in front). I was the fastest in my classes, but that's only because I was in the novice classes. :) On open days, though, I was only a few seconds off the top drivers in comparable cars. I was very happy with this setup!

However, my GTS is gone now and my GT4 should arrive in January, so I'm looking at a set of 19" wheels to clear the larger brakes and scratching my head over (the limited) tire choices. I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts, too—timely thread!

I may just run the OEM rubber and 20" wheels for autox this year, as I'd like to get wider 19" wheels for track days and that extra width would bump me out of SSR.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had issues acquiring RS4's this season from TireRack. TireRack told me they only receive certain sizes one time a year and they sell out. It currently looks like they are stocking 235/35/R19 & 275/35/R19. One being a stock size and the other being slighter wider. Probably not an issue, but who knows.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey everyone. Been a while since I've seen a track day tire thread updated.

What setups/sizes are you currently running on your 718s for the track? What do you think about your setups? Need to make a purchase shortly of some tires for upcoming track days.

I'm on a 19" setup personally, but looking for a comprehensive review here of other sizes too that maybe can help others with their selection.

My latest setup that I'm looking to replace:
255/35/19 F - Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
285/35/19 R - Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R

My personal review on these tires is pretty good, they have nice functional grip. However they have really heavy wear, in an uneven way, when pushed hard. I run 2 degrees camber front and 1.9 rear (front tarett plates and rear factory max), and while I might be able to dial some of this wear out with more camber, this car is primarily a street/weekend car so I don't want to push it any farther.

I'm only really getting 2 track weekends out of these and I feel like I'd be a little happier if I could get 3. Maybe it's my driving, I don't know. The issue is I'm having some trouble finding tires that are around these sizes. I want to maintain the F/R width split ratio as closely as possible and also run wider than factory.

Looking forward to your inputs!
Did you have any scrubbing/rubbing issues with that size tire? I'm running on 19x10 and 19x8.5 O.Z. Ultraleggera's with the "stock" size 265/40 & 235/40 RE71Rs. I agree with you that these tires don't last long enough. I had some issues procuring RS4's this season from TireRack though. I wish I had gone to 18" wheels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
However, my GTS is gone now and my GT4 should arrive in January, so I'm looking at a set of 19" wheels to clear the larger brakes and scratching my head over (the limited) tire choices. I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts, too—timely thread!
Hey Sobiloff,

In case, in case you weren't aware of this, Apex Race Parts is doing a group buy on their new and upcoming 19" SM-10 flow formed wheels at a very nice discount:

The wheels are specifically designed with GT4 fitments in mind. But the GB will close in 4 days, so if you haven't already decided on wheels yet, you'd definitely want to check this out!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey Sobiloff,

In case, in case you weren't aware of this, Apex Race Parts is doing a group buy on their new and upcoming 19" SM-10 flow formed wheels at a very nice discount:

The wheels are specifically designed with GT4 fitments in mind. But the GB will close in 4 days, so if you haven't already decided on wheels yet, you'd definitely want to check this out!
Waffling on these wheels, because I'm not sure what widths to get or how the various sizes would affect handling limits on the track. 20" Carrera S wheels came on our 2017 BS. Part of the issue stems from not knowing what widths are currently on the car. Determining whether the fronts are 8.0 or 8.5 would make the decision easier (I'm certain the rears are 10").

If the fronts are 8.5", then I'd go with 9" (245/40) front and 10.5" (275/40) rear, which would bump front and rear by only 1/2". How much or little would that change autocross and track handling with respect to understeer and oversteer...or should I consider 255/35 & 285/35 for the smaller circumference and slightly enhanced acceleration.

If the fronts are 8's, then I'd have to go to a 9" front and 11" rear (provided they fit without spacers) to maintain similar handling characteristics (under/oversteer) to now, expecting grip to be somewhat better with similar under/oversteer. This bumps the widths up by 1" each.

Totally unsure how to evaluate the options before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Waffling on these wheels, because I'm not sure what widths to get or how the various sizes would affect handling limits on the track. 20" Carrera S wheels came on our 2017 BS. Part of the issue stems from not knowing what widths are currently on the car. Determining whether the fronts are 8.0 or 8.5 would make the decision easier (I'm certain the rears are 10").
I've never figured out the exact specs for the different types of factory 20" wheels, although I have some suspicions about the sizes. But the easiest thing you can do is to just pop the wheels off and take a look at the back sides. The sizings and offsets will be stamped on the back side of the spokes or the hub, and then you'd know.

Apex Race Parts is very helpful and responsive with their customer inquiries, so don't be afraid to hit them up with your questions and ask them about fitment issues and requirements. Depending on what you're looking to do, I'd choose the widest wheels (front and back) that would work for your intended purposes (such as whether you'd have enough camber to support the wheels and tire width, whether you want to roll / pull / cut fenders, etc.)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts

Thanks for the reminder—I think?! :) I'm $1,556 poorer now, but the 19x9 and 19x11 wheels will be the ticket for track days next year. (I still think I'll stick it out on the OEM wheels and tires for autox and street.)

Now I have to decide whether I want to stick with the RE-71Rs, or try something new—most likely the Yoko AD08R. (Need to stick with 200-treadwear tires to avoid getting bumped up to the unlimited class in time attack.)

I bought 18" SM-10s for my GTS during their last gang-up, so the timing of their gang-ups seems to be working well for me. :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey Sobiloff,

They do look like great value and very temping. I think down to ~ $1550 for the set, but depending on how fussy you are the 718 fitment isn't perfect without spacers.

I believe the 11" ET46 needs a 3mm spacer to clear the tie rod, and the front 9" ET50 moves the wheel edge out +20mm which seems a bit much to me without doing something similar to the rear and might need extra camber to clear the fender on some tires.

The 10.5" ET44 is fine and moves the outside wheel face out by 7mm so you could also run a spacer for a bit more stance and track and to match the front a little more.

Note the stock wheels are 8" ET57 front and 10" ET45 rear. The optional Carrera Sport were 8.5 ET 57 and 10.5 ET 45.

The Apex wheels can definitely be made to work and are great value.

·
Registered
191 Posts

If the fronts are 8.5", then I'd go with 9" (245/40) front and 10.5" (275/40) rear, which would bump front and rear by only 1/2". How much or little would that change autocross and track handling with respect to understeer and oversteer...or should I consider 255/35 & 285/35 for the smaller circumference and slightly enhanced acceleration.

If the fronts are 8's, then I'd have to go to a 9" front and 11" rear (provided they fit without spacers) to maintain similar handling characteristics (under/oversteer) to now, expecting grip to be somewhat better with similar under/oversteer. This bumps the widths up by 1" each.

Totally unsure how to evaluate the options before pulling the trigger.
I had the 20s and they were 8.5” front and 10” back. I went to 9” front and 10” back and it didn’t really change the handling characteristics that much. It still handled relatively the same. My two cents from experience.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I had the 20s and they were 8.5” front and 10” back. I went to 9” front and 10” back and it didn’t really change the handling characteristics that much. It still handled relatively the same. My two cents from experience.
What size front tires?

·
Registered
923 Posts
No need for spacers, @don, the 11" are designed specifically to clear the suspension without them.

View attachment 29183
Good to know. Is this a 718 or GT4?

Would be nice to fit 305s but not sure what's available in the right diameter?

Not sure if it really matters but the 9" on the front still comes out about 8mm more than the 11" on the back with those offsets and even more if you run 10mm shims with LCAs on the front.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts