Porsche 718 Forum banner

Will it enter the garage without damage ?

• yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • hard to say

Votes: 1 25.0%

Endless question: will this scrape ? (+ a few aditional questions)

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  shades80 
#1 ·
Hello guys, nice meeting you here around.

On the short i am awaiting my 718 Cayman S with PASM ( - 10 mm) and Sport Design Package, which will be my first Porsche.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim
Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Vehicle
Vehicle door Finger Hand Leg Automotive exterior
Street Road Residential area Neighbourhood Alley
Residential area Asphalt Property Road Sidewalk

First, the most burning question: do you guys think that my car will scrape while attempting to enter my garage?

• i have tried to measure the ramp angle from up to bottom and it is between 7-8 and 10-11 degrees (its not uniform)
  • i am attaching a few pictures i took while attempting to park my other car (BMW M550d with a specified ground clearance of 140 mm, still no idea about the approach and departure angles), and it seems that i still have some space between the lower part of the car and the ground between 80mm *at most and 40-50mm *at least.
Yes, i have measured my fingers :).

My concern is especially when the car is halfway into the garage, that's the moment when the minimum distance occurs (somewhere in the middle of the car), but still 40mm + left.

Indeed, the BMW is significally longer (4943mm) compared to the Cayman (4379mm)

The second issue is about you helping me NOT to become paranoid as i have read quite a lot about scraping and ground clearance, but in the same time i refuse to belive that Porsche created those cars only for race tracks with perfect asphalt. I will drive most of the time in a city with generally decent roads and decent routes with not so many speed bumps, and even if there are some, they are generally not too high.

Thank you in advance !

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I understand your concern, but think you will be OK. The are some plastic pieces underneath the car (near the wheels) that will scrape but it does not appear to hurt the car. I have a 718 GTS with SPASM with a very steep driveway entrance and have not scraped the front spoiler.

Ground clearance played a huge impact in my car search as I considered many different cars where some like Corvette C7 GS were eliminated due to lack of clearance.

Once I fell in love with the 718 I test drove all the models and PASM variations up my drive and even had my wife take videos of my entrance and exit. It is critical for me to go very slow and come in at at extreme angle. I already had the 'Bridjit' curb ramps to help smooth out the street to driveway transition.

If you desire lessened wheel gap and very agressive looks then I think the 718 with Sport Design and SPASM is at a reasonable height and provides as good ground clearance as any other sports car except those with Front Axle Lift (FAL). Again, you can compensate for lower Sport Design with more angled entry and exit. Enjoy your Porsche!

#6 ·
! Update !

Finally got my car, and im very happy with it ! So it is not that low overall, including PASM and sport design package.

Been driving it back home for about 2000 km - highways, cities, national roads without scraping it yet, cleared lots of speedbumps without a single issue, and as a final answer ... YES I WAS ABLE TO PARK IT INSIDE THE GARAGE without scraping it !

Car Vehicle Personal luxury car Performance car Parking

I only have a small issue i still could not find a solution.

Its about the so called multi function display (the round gauge on the right of the rev meter). I keep on setting the language to english and whenever i get back in the car it reverts to german. Hundreds of times.

Anyone of you faced this problem yet ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.