Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my oil change and for some reason it takes longer to remove the cover than the actual oil change. Is it bad to just leave it off? At least I have access to the oil drain plug at all times and will make changing the oil a breeze.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think there is an aftermarket cover available with a service hatch built in (sorry I don't have a link but will see if i can find it).... It doesn't take that long to undo the cover.... use a torque adjustable driver and you can undo that whole cover in 2min. I wouldn't leave leave the cover off either as its designed to protect the lower side from debris etc....

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
180 Posts
I did my first DIY oil change, and found the cover was much easier to remove than on other cars. The Porsche uses better mounting hardware (accept for the cheap 4 plastic nuts) with the main metal part being held with nice 10 mm bolts. Leaving that cover off is not an option I don't think. How often are you changing your oil? Cutting an access is a good option. I was considering such an approach after seeing that post. I was thinking of cutting a piece of 1.5 inch PVC to fit between the cover and the underside of the oil pain with a 1.25 inch hole lined up with the drain plug. At oil change sneak the piece of PVC in place so keep oil from getting all over the top side of that panel. I'd want to size the hole and the piece of PVC pipe to be cut so as to minimize the spillage and thus the mess. Just a thought.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
To go off topic a bit -- I'm still in wait mode until late January, so I can't go out and take a look. My question is about the catalytic converter. Does that engine cover give some protection to the CC? The tales of CC thieves may keep me from ever parking the car in public (when it arrives). Can't be a cheap replacement on a Porsche.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To go off topic a bit -- I'm still in wait mode until late January, so I can't go out and take a look. My question is about the catalytic converter. Does that engine cover give some protection to the CC? The tales of CC thieves may keep me from ever parking the car in public (when it arrives). Can't be a cheap replacement on a Porsche.
it covers it completely so they would need to cut through the cover for the cats

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,556 Posts
it covers it completely so they would need to cut through the cover for the cats
And they'd sure as **** have to jack the sucker up before even seeing that! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts