Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Trying to diagnose a noise...seeing if you all would be able to help. Any thoughts appreciated! You guys are the best on here..

718 Cayman with Sport Exhaust (culprit??), Manual, 2k miles

Machine like noise - similar sound to the parking brake activation noise - just as a comparison, actual sound is not the parking brake. Seems to be coming from the engine area. Seemingly not a heat shield rattle or transmission whine when comparing to youtube video sounds. Honestly can't remember if my sport exhaust/mode is turned on when it happens .. but will get back to you. I'll be recording my accelerations like a nerd for the next few days to see if I can capture.

Happens when I'm accelerating in 3rd gear, around 2000rpm, usually before car is fully warmed, duration of about 1 second, clearly audible but not obnoxiously loud. Inconsistent in the fact it does not always happen. Not a grind-into-gear; gear is engaged and I'm accelerating in 3rd before hearing the sound. Difficult to bring in to Porsche since I'm not always able to reproduce.

Anyone else having this? Any ideas? Car otherwise runs smooth..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update Post Tinkering: ONLY occurs when Exhaust mode is turned on. ONLY at 2000rpm. Can actually hear it in 2nd 3rd and 4th. 3rd most prominent. I actually cannot reproduce the sound when it is out of gear and I rev through 2000rpm. This is what I get for accelerating from 1900rpm. I'm unable to post a link... also unable to post the mp3 file...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll provide a couple updates and that'll get me to 5 posts. Brought my Cayman to the dealership shortly after my post. They said it was a valve issue with my exhaust system (under warranty) that they would need to replace. Took about a month for the exhaust system to arrive from Germany, possibly by sailboat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a few days, exhaust replaced, drove off of the lot and turned back around and said "hey... it sounds the same... what's up?". Spoke with a service manager, did a ride along, and noted that he's never heard it before but thought it might have something to do with the way the new turbo engine generates power around 2000 rpm --- maybe, but the sound still still happens when you decelerate through 2000rpm). They'd be contacting HQ engineers to see what's up. Oddly, they tell me that their Boxster 718 with sports exhaust on the lot makes the same noise...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regardless, in some limbo now as they're telling me "maybe they all do that" - so I need some help. Anyone out there with a base Cayman/Boxster WITH the sports exhaust. Do you hear the sound in the following post at 2000 rpm?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my Cayman 718 S manual (with Sports Exhaust and Chrono Pkg) for over 6 months and never heard this sound before. I decided to go out this evening and specifically listen for it under the conditions you indicated (around 2000 RPM 2/3/4th gear).

I heard it too!!! Its a gentle but firm whooshing sound as power builds and like you, most pronounced at 3rd gear while accelerating up. I found that it does not make that sound in "normal" mode. Only in Sports and Sports Plus and my oil temp was around 199F (car was already warm from earlier commute). I did not notice any odd sound/rattle coming down through the 2000rpm point.

The sound doesn't particularly bother me especially in light that I never noticed it before! Its good for you to know that you're not the only one and probably designed that way, not a defect. However, I'd be curious what explanation you finally get from Porsche.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,900 Posts
Never go near 2,000 RPMs under power if you can. It makes a noise that I always interpret as a warning. PDK can't avoid it but manual its no problem.

Reactions: nova996

·
Registered
17 Boxster S 6M in Miami Blue
391 Posts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts