Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went "all" out with this one: Replaced the 718 Center Cap Set with the brightly colored ones (I think they're colored)<fireworks; loud clapping> and <drum roll> installed Porsche Color Valve Stem caps! I feel like a bloody engineer.... not.....

And, yes to the coming query, I did remember to point the bottom of the crest at the valve stem......

I'm such a noob...... Doesn't take much to get my pacemaker going.....

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a work in progress. I will field test it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,213 Posts
And, yes to the coming query, I did remember to point the bottom of the crest at the valve stem......
I never knew that was a thing until I read it here—but then I never had a Porsche before either.

I have noticed however, that when my car comes back from the dealer with new tyres, everything is aligned properly.😀

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,700 Posts
I never knew that was a thing until I read it here—but then I never had a Porsche before either.

I have noticed however, that when my car comes back from the dealer with new tyres, everything is aligned properly.😀
Oh Greg, it's worse than that! You should have the key bolt located at the rounded part of the center emblem! It's particularly handy at the track so you know where the key bolts are.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts

I've been doing the line up thing since I got my Boxster S 25 years ago. 😇 When I picked up my T several weeks ago the first thing that I checked was the center cap alignment. The dealership had gotten it right!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hmmmm… didn’t know Re crest and valve stem. Now I have something to look forward to, or worry about, until I’m able to get back to my car today!

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
Little did I know that there was a "proper" alignment of the crest and valve stem. I checked my wife's Cayman and found that hers are installed correctly.:) Now if I can get her to drive the car so all the centers on all the wheels stay lined up in the same direction everything will be great! :p

·
Registered
266 Posts
Went "all" out with this one: Replaced the 718 Center Cap Set with the brightly colored ones (I think they're colored)<fireworks; loud clapping> and <drum roll> installed Porsche Color Valve Stem caps! I feel like a bloody engineer.... not.....

I'm such a noob...... Doesn't take much to get my pacemaker going.....
You keep that up and we’ll have you wrenching on a NASCAR team in no time. Center cap set today - Coca Cola 600 tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,312 Posts
I think this is going to be my 7th Porsche and this is the first time I've hard of the cap facing tire stem thing. I had no idea.

So what happens when Porschephiles buy a Rolls Royce with the free spinning center cap? When they park do they have people to jack the car up and make sure the tire stems are bottom dead center on each wheel? How does that work?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Oh Greg, it's worse than that! You should have the key bolt located at the rounded part of the center emblem! It's particularly handy at the track so you know where the key bolts are.
Wow. I never heard this before. Now I have to go outside and swap around the lug bolts.

It would be so much more convenient if they would put all four keyed bolts on the same wheel...

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think this is going to be my 7th Porsche and this is the first time I've hard of the cap facing tire stem thing. I had no idea.

So what happens when Porschephiles buy a Rolls Royce with the free spinning center cap? When they park do they have people to jack the car up and make sure the tire stems are bottom dead center on each wheel? How does that work?
From my source the crest placement came out of the racing division years ago to help during pit stops, etc. I don't recall seeing a Rolls Royce on any circuits lately. :D

This thread has gotten way more attention then I imagined. Bet you can't look at another P wheel without checking the crest/stem alignment. Sry....

·
Registered
411 Posts
From my source the crest placement came out of the racing division years ago to help during pit stops, etc. I don't recall seeing a Rolls Royce on any circuits lately. :D

This thread has gotten way more attention then I imagined. Bet you can't look at another P wheel without checking the crest/stem alignment. Sry....
So I know what I'll be doing when I wash my wheels at the weekend, now where's that spirit level? :p

1 - 20 of 86 Posts